“Very tasty, but a bit noisy”

The Corson Building
Reserve with OpenTable
The Corson Building is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #753 of 4,271 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Three of us had a lovely dinner here last night. Everything was exquisite. They had somehow misplaced our reservation, but because we were dining at 6:00 and they had a big party coming at 8:00 they squeezed us in--we didn't want to stay that long anyway because we had a ferry to catch. They also had mislaid our list of allergies sent in ahead of time, but worked with us to create a modified menu that accommodated us and was still delicious. Everything was obviously made by hand and some of it grown in the garden.

This is a lovely Italian-style small country villa with a cozy but sophisticated feel. Very attentive waiter.

However: you may experience the sound of planes, trains, and automobiles. The restaurant is almost under a major highway exit ramp, immediately adjacent to a busy railroad track, and under the flight path for some flights headed for SeaTac. On this late summer evening, the windows were open, and the sound came in. But most of the time we were comfortable and able to tune out the noise from outside. Perhaps in winter with the windows closed it would be a bit quieter.

I decided I don't care for braised beet greens, but every bit of the five other dishes we shared was exquisite. The roasted lamb I had was probably the best I've ever eaten. My wife said the same thing about the house-made ricotta, which she said she could have made a whole meal of. We al pronounced my daughter's cod fantastic. We skipped dessert.

We spent about $150 for the three of us--all fairly light eaters. Only one of the party had wine.

The location is really out of the way. It was about a $20 taxi ride from the ferry dock (including tip). You could take a 106 bus from downtown and back if you have the time and can tolerate the discomforts of mass transit.

We've dined several times at Sitka and Spruce, the sister restaurant in the Melrose Market. The approach to the food seems quite similar: strong emphasis on locally sourced, seasonally appropriate dishes, with a good variety of interesting vegetarian dishes for those that lean that way.

Because we enjoyed the rustic villa setting and the fine cooking, we'd go back again.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Corson Building really defines quaint, charming and rustic. But along with these attributes you will find the building a little drafty, so don't expect a really cushy environment, similar to a very old building in Europe, you go for the quaintness and charm and forget the fact that a few things can be a little uncomfortable. The service was very attentive and informative, the menu limited but very delicious in every way with a beautiful presentation to the many appetizers our party of four ordered. For the main course there were two offerings, halibut and/or chicken. Both were very nicely prepared and tasted delicious. We went on a very rainy night (no surprise) and the grounds around this restaurant looked quite lovely, so it would be nice to go in nicer weather. The tables are sometimes shared, which did not affect our enjoyment of the evening because the tables are long so unless the other party is really large one does not really have to make conversation with the adjoining patron's. I wish I took a photo of the outside of this restaurant because it is so divine.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ditto to the review just prior to this. I have NO idea what people are talking about that wrote negative reviews. I'm guessing that maybe they are the younger, less experienced crowd, or maybe they don't cook much or perhaps don't enjoy creative cooking??....I've read about this place for years and had been dying to try it! anyway...We went on a Sunday night for the communal supper (a set menu and price of 60 pp including wine). It was great! We were greeted very warmly with a glass of sparkling wine. When we sat down we were briefed on how the night would go. Wine was on the table...4 bottles for 10 people we could help ourselves. The first course was trout croquettes with a wonderful caper dipping sauce. Next, was their incredible bread, toasted to perfection and served with a pork "spread" and a mix of pickled veggies. They were very tasty! After a beautiful salad, came a plate of Sturgeon and various root vegetables. Once again, great! Next were two platters of different chicken dishes....both were moist and delicious! And for dessert, we were individually served a slice of cake and there was french press coffee (decaf and reg) for the taking. With all the courses, there was definitely enough food for us. We went home quite satisfied. The Saturday meal (12 courses) must be amazing!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have no idea what the bad reviews are about. This place consistently ranks high in every foodie and gourmand site on the web that reviews Seattle and for good reason. The food was absolutely amazing. A plethora of local flavors and ingredients. The octopus they served was exquisite, possibly the best I've ever had. The rabbit was tender and perfect.The charcuterie platter that was passed around - replete with homemade liver and heart pate, was very exciting. Even the salads and veggies, including a perfectly prepared eggplant, were delicious. The only course that was less than impressive was dessert - a ginger cake that was tasty, but not what I think of when I think dessert.

The wines were great. The most memorable - a bottle brought to the table when another diner asked to buy a bottle of wine. The price for a new bottle was a bit much; she opted instead to pass, but the waiters brought her another open bottle for free. It tasted like the ocean - briney and complex. My favorite of the evening!

I loved the space -- the concept of a shared meal. I loved breaking bread (excellent garlic bread) with strangers who over the course of the night became more like fellow guests at a comfortable dinner party, friends of friends. I loved to walk back in the kitchen and see what the cooks were up to. The whole experience was wonderful. It is, however not for everyone. If you are shy, looking for a romantic evening, or not fond of strangers - dine elsewhere.

The only thing I suggest. DO NOT GO EARLY. My husband misunderstood and we arrived a bit ahead of schedule and for that, we sat in the cold for 15 minutes. I was a little put off until I realized he'd not quite passed along the instructions they'd given him. I was still cold but at least felt it was more our fault than theirs! If they say to arrive at 6:30 -- arrive at that time. If you get there at 6:35 or 6:40 you are probably ok. If you get there at 6:25 you'll wait for 5 minutes before they open the door. If you get there at 6:10, you'll cool your heels in the lovely garden, like we did!

1  Thank astro17
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been wanting to experience the hype of The Corson Building, and I have to say, it did not disappoint! I went with a friend to treat her for her 30th, who also has been wanting to go to TCB for some time now. The property itself is located in a seemingly industrial area, but tucked away in a corner like a quaint home with emerging greenery. We definitely lucked out with the weather as it was a gorgeous sunny day and perfect for enjoying our aperitif on the outdoor patio. We went for their paired down Sunday evening dinner but we were so absolutely stuffed that I can't imagine how much food is served for their fuller Saturday dinners. I was a little apprehensive about how the family style dinner would work with complete strangers with obviously differing appetites, but everyone did a pretty good job taking the right amount to ensure everyone got their fair share (1 dish didn't quite make it completely around, but you learn). This particular evening included crab, black cod, salmon spread, and a delicious roasted chicken among a few other yummy dishes. The included wines were also great and enough for at least a couple pours. I'm excited for my next visit!