“Great food in an easygoing setting”

Flying Squirrel Pizza
Ranked #555 of 4,384 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Maple Leaf, in north Seattle may not be a destination in and of itself but Flying Squirrel Pizza Co should make it one. The pizzas are unique blends of high quality, local foods. Pizzas are thin but tasty crust. The red sauce is really something special. Their salads are big and flavorful. I don’t eat meat but am never at a loss to find an interesting combo for my pizza. Not that you’d need more food, but their appetizers are scrumptious as well. Local craft beers (as well as Oly –for those not into crafts) and Blue Bird ice cream will round out an amazing foodie dinner. The atmosphere is kid friendly, large group friendly and has a lot of local regulars. The staff is welcoming and easy going. Pizzas generally bake very quickly, but hanging out isn’t frowned upon. I generally go after 7 pm to avoid the big rush, when it can get a bit hectic and loud. Definitely worth the trip to Maple Leaf.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I wont lie I was a little worried when I saw the 70's decor. But the Flying Squirrel Pizza serves amazing pizzas using the freshest, highest quality, local ingredients, including meats from Zoe's Meats, Salumi Artisan Cured Meats, locally farmed vegetables. The salads were large and served family style we had a party of 8 and we split a large mix salad, 3 pizzas; half Maggie half # 9
half #2 half #10 and a Sofia also two side orders of the most delicious meatballs and were quite satisfied. Everyone had a favorite but I recommend # 9 chicken sausage, goat cheese,peppers spinach mozzarella. And # 10 Zoe's bacon,arugula fresh tomatoes.

1  Thank Eluvs2travel_11
Reviewed May 5, 2012

As I sat enjoying the delicious pizza, I was struck that most tables were families and extended families out for a Friday night treat. There are several house specialty pizzas - we tried 2 which were both excellent. There is also the "build your own" option which I am sure appealed to all those families with their specific needs. Was wishing the kitchen was behind a glass wall to watch the pizza production which we glimpse through the opened kitchen door. The place is pretty funky-not much has been spent on decor (lots of bad art on the wall which appeared to be for sale) but a comfortable neighborhood place overall.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

We have been frequenting FSP since it opened a few years ago and is our favorite place for pizza in the city. The staff is awesome and the food is fantastic - especially now that they offer growlers of beer to go! Local beer, delicious ingredients - this place is worth the trip.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I dug this place out while on vaca. Yes, I brought my family and we were very happy with our food. Wife, daughter and I split a pie and it was great. All kinds of wonderful fresh flavors. Cheesy bread was perfect and the beer was nice and Cold. There were lots of families there, but there were also a lot of couples as well. Great service and atmosphere. Bring in one of your old mix cassette tapes from the 80s and get 10% off your bill... Plus they play them. This was a fun yummy dinner.