“A decent passthrough place” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 435 things to do in Seattle
Jacksonville, Florida
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“A decent passthrough place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you are starting off on your walk through Pike Place, this might be a good place to start since it is right there at the beginning of the walk to the Waterfront and Pike Place / Pike Market. We started walking from here and spent about 30 minutes looking at the structures and the gardens. It's an 'ok' place but not too big of a deal. I saw some nice sculptures but the park wasn't that huge. Nice place to bike and skate without any traffic...

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
New Milford, Connecticut
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Not that many sculptures”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

A bit disappointing, only a few sculptures in the park. Not far from the Space Needle, so not too far out of the way.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Art didn't appeal but it is free”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

So I'm strolling along the waterfront this fine morning, heading north. I intended to turn up at Broad Street on my way to my eventual target, the Seattle Center. At that very corner, I spot a statue of a nude silver man standing in a fountain. Well, hello there! I had just found the Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park.

I'll admit that I'm not drawn to modern art. Still, here I was, the place was free, and so I wandered the paths in search of enlightenment. I would walk past a rusted pile of metal, only to learn from a nearby sign that it was one of the park's sculptures. Ditto for the concrete bench. My attention was arrested by a familiar sight on a grassy bank: a typewriter eraser. One of several in existence apparently, as a twin is planted in Las Vegas' City Center by the Mandarin Oriental. The piece looked (and is in fact titled) exactly the same, and I wondered why it was so significant to art to the point of making multiple copies. Clearly, this stuff is not "speaking" to me. The only sculpture which I can say I liked was Perre's Ventaglio III; its reflective surfaces hypnotized me in a similar way the Cloud in Chicago had. I'm sure there is some parallel to narcissism to be found somewhere in this fascination.

Seating is plentiful whether in chairs, on benches, or on the grass. Art pieces are well-spaced throughout the park, some out in plain view, others hidden away off the paths or in gardens. The varying elevations, gently sloped, provide good views of the water at points. The park would be a pleasant place for a picnic or a ramble, even aside from artistic tastes. The focal point -the art- did not appeal to me personally, but if modern is your thing, you might enjoy this place.

Seattle, Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Awesome place to run”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I love running by sculpture park. You get to run on this amazing path along the puget sound. It can get chilly at times, but its great to watch the cruise ships go by with a view of the mountains.
It's not crowded -so you can run at your own pace.
The sculptures within the park are kinda blah! I don't get em. So if that's what you're into, you'll find this place disappointing.

1 Thank cyberoi
Austin
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Really pretty views of the bay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This has some really beautiful views of the bay and is a great place to hang out with a book and just enjoy the scenery, but I'm not sure what all of the fuss for the sculptures is about...some of them are pretty cool, like the fake tree, but most of them are quite bland and is just a perk of the park rather than it's focal point.

Visited June 2013