“Very good food, but skip deserts”
Review of Spur Gastropub - CLOSED

Spur Gastropub
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Belltown
Cross street: 1st Avenue
Description: Spur Gastropub An intimate urban pub in Belltown. Plates to share. Cocktails to entice. Chefs Brian McCracken and Dana Tough opened Spur in Seattle’s Belltown in 2008 and already it’s been recognized by Food & Wine magazine as one of the country’s top restaurants. Acknowledged for turning out some of the best dishes and cocktails in town by local media, the Chefs were selected as "Rising Star Chefs" nationally by the industry insider magazine StarChefs. In addition to earning the attention of Wine & Spirits magazine, their cocktails have made Spur one of Seattle’s top 10 bars. The Chefs’ collaboration dates back to their time in the kitchen at Maria Hines’ Earth and Ocean restaurant, together on Hines’ traveling team at the 2005 James Beard Dinner in New York, and today creating their menus at Spur.
Seattle, Washington
“Very good food, but skip deserts”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We went there with a couple of friends and had a very good time. Food is really good and we just ordered to share nore and more. All entrees were really good looking, tasty, and creative. Would give these a 5 and will certainly go back to try the ones we didn't get to.

Deserts, however, where a different story. Over sophisticated, generally OK, but we had mixed opinions in the table. I would skip them and just focus on the great food.

1 Thank Jeeper1

Albany, New York
“Fantastic tasting menu, great service !”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We went to Spur on my son's recommendation and had a memorable meal. The presentation was exquisite- the fois gras looked like a little jewel and have a silky texture. The portions aren't big but the flavors are bold, and it was satisfying without making you feel stuffed. The service was excellent. They are going to open a fine dining restaurant soon and I only wish we lived closer so we could go ! The seats (stools) were a little hard on my back but then again, I'm no spring chicken! Go.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank jmaryz
Redmond
“False advertising = not good, at least by my standards”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We saw a very cool news piece on TV (Q13 Fox) for Spurs and were super excited to make a reservation for dinner at this gastropub. We gathered 4 other friends and headed down to Seattle. There was a wait even after making reservations which only raised our expectations, silly I know!!
Anyways, we got seated after a bit and put in our orders. The place was busy and the waiters were trying to attend to many tables at the same time. One of my friends ordered steak while rest of us ordered some other stuff. Our food started to arrive and our mouths were watering thinking about all the fancy preparation methods we had seen on TV.
Our food tasted ok, nothing fancy nor great tasting. Our friend’s steak had not yet arrived so his wife asked the waiter (politely) how much longer would it be for the steak. The waiter just quickly answered “however longer it takes” and continued on to the next table. We were a little shocked at the rudeness. His steak finally arrived. It was decently tasty.
Then we ordered the item which was the main reason we had come to the restaurant. Liquid nitrogen cooled small tablet sized food item (on top of some other dessert) which when you bite into makes smoke come out of your mouth. Here is the extract from Q13 Fox news article: http://spurseattle.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html “The chefs say they're dedicated to traditional food and techniques, but with a twist. Sometimes that twist includes utilizing a tub of liquid nitrogen. They drop in powdered peanut butter for just a few seconds, and what comes out tastes like a Reese's treat, but when you bite into it, smoke comes billowing out of your mouth.” Sounds cool, ya? Well don’t get your hopes high. I ordered that and when I bit into the table; puff ! Nothing! Absolutely nothing. Not even a mild smoke. So I called the waiter, who rudely said, paraphrasing him, “by the time I get it from the kitchen to your table it loses that property”. So what are they advertising? I am supposed to go with him into the kitchen to eat this dish? I sent back the dish; atleast they did not force me to pay for it.
We were quite disappointed with this restaurant. We went there for a good experience and were let down, big time! There are a ton of good restaurants in Seattle, we eat out a lot, & we’ve never gone back to this crappy restaurant.

• Visited July 2010
3 Thank AdilAG
portland
“Nice in every way”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Just go if you really enjoy what a true chef can do with food. We went for Valentine's day, had the 5 course and left in love with the food! The suggested wine accompaniments were perfect - we had so much fun tasting our wine and food and enjoying all the textures. There was only one part to one dish which fell a little flat, perhaps it is a new idea from the chef and it will improve, although my partner didn't think so - he thought is was perfect. We took twice as long to eat when compared to other guests. I really like to smell each bite, savor each flavor - let them roll over my tongue and enjoy. This food was worthy of long lasting bites. The presentation were fun or pretty depending on what you ordered.
The atmosphere was enjoyable for me and the wait staff were amazing. We showed up almost an hour late to our reservation due to taxi cab problems, and they still sat us...graciously. We are looking forward to going back.
Yes, the portions are smaller than some may be accustomed to, but I love to eat a fair portion of food and I left feeling healthy and full.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank keepitnice
Tucson
“The chefs at Spur take everything you know and make it extraordinary.”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Nothing I can write would ever come close to describing the incredible food at Spur.

What looked like a ordinary salad on the menu turned out to be a mouth full of party. And it wasn't just me. People all over the restaurant were moaning with pleasure. I would highly recommend taking someone you can share each plate with so you can order many plates.

Food I may have never tried, I tried at Spur because of my confidence in the chefs. For example: pork belly sliders with truffles and champagne gel bubbles. Ordered that dish twice.