“Just OK for us...”

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I'm going to give this a very fair review. My husband and I stayed here with friends to enjoy a city we've all never been to. After reviewing this hotel it looked perfect. So here come the pros: Beautiful inside and out, excellent location, OK price-wise, restaurant, bar, pool, & spa.
The cons: The rooms are very nice but are a little small. This might seem inappropriate for some but....no fart fan? Really? And the walls seem thin. Get my drift? Internet is available for $10 for 24 hours. But the coup de grâce was the sandy blonde haired bartender with the earrings. He was so rude to us. He made us feel totally not welcome. It was obvious that he only liked dealing with the locals. As far as the rest of the staff, the service came with a smile and they were very attentive. So would we come back? I don't think so. There are so many other hotels in Seattle to discover. Sadly, the bartender did make the difference.
As far as the question below, I'm going to answer yes, because this idiot bartender won't be there long.

Reviewed November 24, 2010

We had a super fun weekend at this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary. This hotel has it all. The gorgeous spa provided a couple's massage that was so relaxing with expertly-trained therapists. The hotel staff was friendly and efficient and their enthusiasm for our anniversary really added to our celebration. They made us feel so special. Our room was elegant and furnished with everything we could possibly need especially the comfy beds. The fitness center is state of the art and the 60ft saline lap pool made us feel that we were lounging by a tropical pool. The location is great. This is the place to make a memory.

1  Thank jstm58
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2010

Thanks for choosing Olive 8 for your big milestone weekend! I appreciate you trying out Elaia Spa; we are so proud of it and feel it is one of the best in the city. Glad that it could enhance your anniversary. The couple’s room is definitely a special amenity. Thanks for the nice comments on the room, fitness center and pool as well. We would be honored to assist in future anniversary celebrations!

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We were lucky to stay here at a discounted rate through Priceline. This hotel has a great location in downtwon Seattle. It has modern furniture and excellent fitness center and swimming pool.

We had one unfortunate incident when we checked in. We discovered unclean pillows on our bed. I assume this was a rare finding in such a upscale hotel. After our complaint, they changed our room. However, we did not receive any other compensation for inconvenience.

The hotel also does not have free Internet. In these days and times, you expect to find free Internet everywhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rombuk74
HyattSeattle, Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2010

Thank you for the kind words. I apologize for the incident when you checked in, I was glad that we were able to get you into a new room. Thanks for the nice comments on the location, furniture and fitness facilities. We hope to have the chance to host you again!

Reviewed November 18, 2010

and I was extremely impressed........which is really hard to do.

Almost new, there is not a spot on the place. The suite I booked was large and he reported that the bed was the perfect mix of soft and firm. We had coffee and meetings in the suite the first day and everyone agreed that it is just about the nicest hotel in Seattle, edging out the Grand Hyatt across the street and the Westin in Bellevue.

I would like to point out that the lovely young lady at check in was amazing and professional. I wish I had been professional enough to remember her name. The rate was fair for an end week large suite.

Thank you for helping me make a good impression.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank roadwarrior2010_10
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2010

Thank you for trusting us with your client….we know that in this case the experience we provided was a reflection on you and I am delighted that we came through for you. Thanks so much for the great comments and we hope we can assist you again in the future!

Reviewed November 7, 2010

The perfect time to stay in a hotel is probably when it is still very new but has had time to work out the kinks. That sweet spot is what you’ll find at Hyatt at Olive 8.

The common areas are very modern and appealing. The restaurant and bar is beautiful; and the fitness center is very large and one of the best I’ve seen. The location is great—it’s definitely worth your while to walk from the hotel, along the vibrant Pine Street shopping district down to Pike Place Market and Belltown. I appreciated the fact that the concierge had made loaner umbrellas available. Their commitment to sustainability neither enhanced nor detracted from our visit; but guests for whom this is a deal-breaker will be happy here.

The rooms were OK. Where we were situated, we opened the door and Boom, there’s the room (i.e. no entry hallway). It made us feel very much on top of the activity in the hallway because, as others have mentioned, the soundproofing isn’t great. Our view was of an office building that appeared to be very close, but I understand that in an urban area, sometime that can’t be helped. Charging for high-speed internet is pretty lousy, though. Even worse, the cost is per device, so if one of you has an iPad and the other has a laptop, count on shelling out twenty bucks. If it were a decision between the two, I’d rather the hotel skip leaving a Seattle Times outside everyone’s door, especially as another nod to being environmentally friendly.

I did get a great rate, which included valet parking and a gift card. So, all things considered, I would stay there again and I’d recommend the hotel to others.

1  Thank George_PConnecticut
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Thanks for the review, liked your comment about the perfect time to stay in a hotel, hopefully we’ll be in the sweet spot for a while! I also liked your comment on sustainability; that’s the idea, that we are sustainable without impacting the guests’ stay, so that if it is important to the traveler, we will be a real leader, but if not, we are still a great hotel. We appreciate you staying and for your recommendation to others!

Reviewed November 5, 2010

Went to Seattle for the Chargers/Seahawks football game. Splurged on hotel at Olive 8 because it got great reviews online. It was nice certainly but nothing super fancy. My fiance thought the late night happy hour in the bar was superb. The room's walls were a bit bare and it almost had this feel like they just opened. When we got there we were told the only way we could get a good view would be to upgrade. Since we booked directly with the hotel we were already paying full price for the room and opted not to. Our room faced an office building which we could see right ito. You can easily walk to our hotel from the Public Market so the location was great...just not sure the hotel was worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjtraveler2008

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. I will be up front that we do have some rooms (15) that are very close to that adjacent building, and we generally fill those last. Usually it’s not an issue for folks staying on the weekend, but I am sorry that you didn’t feel it was worth the money. I am delighted to hear that you like the happy hour menu (it has been very popular) and the location to the market. For those coming in for Seahawks/Sounders/Mariners, you can jump on the light rail just 1.5 blocks away at Westlake station to get to the game!

Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed in the Hyatt at Olive 8 for 4 nights in October. The taxi from the airport dropped us at the door, where our bags were taken straight to my room by the Concierge - Earl. The room was large, clean and modern and the beds extremely comfortable. I had a high floor room which let in plenty of natural light - and it was also quiet.
The pool was fantastic! Spacious pool and surround with plenty of loungers. The Jacuzzi was also a good size and changing facilities were excellent. Oh, and it had a brilliant steam room and sauna!!
Breakfast in 'Urbane' was nice and of good quality, however, i wouldn't return for an evening meal as the quality certainly didn't match that of breakfast. The evening meal was returned untouched - and nobody asked why!
An error at checkout left me to pay for an upgrded room that i had not experienced, but this was quickly rectified and my bill altered by an extremely apologetic staff member. I shall leave my review with a positive - Earl the concierge. This guy was excellent, helpful, well informed of Seattle and always had a smile.
I will stay in the Olive if i return to Seattle.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank EricC01
HyattSeattle, Director of Sales at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Thanks for the nice review. I appreciate the comments, both good and bad. I am sorry that the dinner wasn’t memorable, and you are absolutely correct that we should have inquired as to why it was untouched. As well I am sorry for the billing mishap; I understand how frustrating that is. Glad that you got a chance to try out the Jacuzzi, and I am not surprised to see Earl’s name mentioned once again on Tripadvisor; he is a real asset to our team. We look forward to your next stay with us!