“Maybe my new favorite place to stay in Seattle”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #10 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I travel to Seattle frequently on business and have stayed at many of the downtown properties -- the Westin, the Sheraton, the Hilton, the Crowne Plaza, both Kimpton properties, etc. But I may have just found a new favorite hotel in downtown Seattle, the Hyatt at Olive 8.

The decor is elegant and calm. The room was spacious and well-appointed. I particularly like the oversized sliding wood-and-frosted-glass doors on the closet and the shower, which give the room a more upscale feel compared to regular doors. The glass-walled walk-in shower was a nice plus, though I personally would have designed it with dual shower heads. The bed was comfortable and the wireless Internet service, while not free, was fast and reliable.

Service at the hotel was excellent. Wake up calls are made by humans rather than machines and come with an optional 10-minute followup call. One morning I accidentally left the phone off the hook after the first call, and the hotel sent someone to knock on my door and make sure I was awake. Now that's customer service.

The gym is spotless and outfitted with plenty of quality equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and a complete set of weight stations. The pieces of aerobic equipment all have individual television screens, of course. The Hyatt hotels with condos attached are often known for the quality of their gyms, and this one is no exception. If it just had the stunning view of the fitness center at the Sheraton, it would be perfect. But it was close enough.

For swimmers there's a 65 foot saline lap pool, which was a real treat and something I haven't found at any other downtown property. And there's a complete day spa on the property, which I did not get to sample this trip.

Breakfast at the Urbane was good (my waiter the first morning spoiled me by bringing steamed milk for the coffee), though I'd still trek over to Toulouse Petite on Queen Anne for their pain perdu if I had time.

The only thing that marred my stay at the Hyatt at Olive 8 was a very loud bunch of kids partying in the room next door until the wee hours of the morning. They were loud enough, and the walls thin enough, that I could hear every word. At 1:30 am I finally called down to the front desk. They offered to send hotel security up to quiet the party down, but it took them a good half hour to get someone on the floor.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Bad-Horse
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

The title of your review really caught my eye and I really enjoyed hearing your kind words about out hotel. I appreciate such detailed feedback! Glad that you liked the shower design; it is a new concept and while we know it’s not for everyone, we didn’t want this hotel to be like so many others. Happy to hear about the wake-up call, and glad that you enjoyed the gym and pool…from my previous comments you will know that we are very proud of both. I am glad that we got the coffee right….it’s very important in this town and we know there are plenty of options. I was sorry to hear that you were disrupted by other guests…as a General Manager there are few things that upset me more than a guest having their sleep disturbed. I appreciate that you still had kind words for us and hope that we get the chance in the future to provide you with a restful night. It is our goal to change the word 'maybe' in your title to 'definitely'!

Reviewed March 27, 2010

The hotel was very nice, and the customer service is something for other hotels to aspire to. The king room was spacious, eco-friendly, and clean. My only complaints (minor) are that the walls are quite thin, and you can hear other guests through the bathroom vents. In addition, there's no vent in the bathroom and the elevator is a touch slow once in motion. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends. The hotel is the one thing that I didn't need to worry about while in Seattle.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Thank you so much for the kind words. To hear that our customer service was excellent was one of the most rewarding things a General Manager can hear. Glad that you didn’t have to worry about the hotel on your trip, and we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed March 18, 2010

From the food to the bed, the place is amazing!
Wonderful massage by Brian, nice spa.
Green, fresh, new!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2010

Excellent! We are so happy to hear you liked it! I thank you for giving Elaia Spa a shot, and glad Brian didn’t disappoint. I will pass along my thanks to him. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 18, 2010

For for Green touted hotel, the only entity that benefits is the hotel. The restricted flow shower made the bathroom experience etremely unpleasent. The low flow tiolet required mulitiple flushings and if you forgot to notify the maid service that you needed clean towels you did without. If there was a financial savings to someone, it wasn't reflected on my bill.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

We apologize that your stay wasn’t enjoyable. The elements of our hotel that make it sustainable also make it a departure from a normal hotel room. However the shower head and the toilet should operate without a discernable difference from normal fixtures, so my apologies that you didn’t find that to be the case. Our sustainability efforts don’t necessary save money as often the systems cost more to install/operate, but you can rest assured they are saving a lot of electricity and water. Still though, we feel that Hyatt at Olive 8 represents and excellent value in downtown Seattle.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

This is a new GREAT hotel in a downtown Seattle. The location is close to Pike Place market, Space Needle and the downtown mall. The hotel is beautiful and has an outstanding spa! I love the Hotel 1000, the Four Seasons and now I have a third hotel in Seattle the Hyatt at Olive 8.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2010

Thanks so much for giving us a try, glad that you liked it! Sounds like you know the Seattle hotels well and we appreciate that you were open to trying something new. We appreciate the comment on Elaia Spa; we are VERY proud of it and want to keep getting the word out.

Reviewed March 15, 2010

I've visited Seattle on business at least 25-30 times in the past and stayed in various hotels. This and one other hotel outside of Seattle called Hotel Woodmark in Carrolin Point have so far been my favorite. This time I went with my husband and baby with a group of people for an award trip and they really made our stay comfertable. They delivered my baby's crib with cute little toiletries for her. We stayed in a corner room so I cant say we expreinced the noise that the other people did. I really liked the concept of the key switch controlled by the card because many times I forget to turn off the lights when leaving a room. I also liked the shower without the door however I found the shower head and the pressure of the water rather annoying. Since we had a corner room we were looking right into someone's office and since it was over the weekend it wasnt a big deal. I would def stay here again because it is a beautiful hotel with great service and you cannot beat the location. It is walking distance to great shopping, Pikes Place and so close to so many attractions in Seattle. I wouldnt reccomend eating at the restaurant as we thought the food was less than average there. Seattle has so many great restaurants I would get out and try them instead of eating there. Also the parking is really expensive and the charge for internet access is too high.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Thanks for the review, we really value the feedback of someone like you who travels to Seattle often and has a good handle on what Seattle has to offer. I apologize that the food in the restaurant wasn’t up to par for your stay, and while you are correct that there are numerous outstanding eateries in the area, we still want to present an outstanding culinary experience in our hotel. So glad that the stay worked well for your baby. We have kids too and understand how a baby’s satisfaction can have a big impact on your stay. Also glad that you like the Wattstopper power control. We have gotten a lot of great comments, especially from people who have seen this technology in Europe and Asia for years now. Glad to be one of your favorites, and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2010

I travel to downtown Seattle on business more than a dozen times a year. I recently stayed at this Hyatt and loved it. The corner room was spacious with almost too many windows (is that possible?), the room was quiet, and the staff helpful. I particularly loved the pool. As a business traveler, it was easy to grab a light breakfast in the lobby on my way out. The downtown area at night can be a little scary but safe enough. I feel safer if I avoid Pine and Pike since that's where panhandlers and others tend to hang out. But even though streets are ok. If this Hyatt was less expensive I'd choose it over my usual choices of the nearby Sheraton and Fairmont hotels (both very fine properties in their own right) since it suits my particular needs so well.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2010

Thanks for the great review. I really appreciate hearing from ‘road warriors’ like you. I had to smile when you were talking about the windows in the corner room because the same thought occurred to me when we were building the hotel. A ‘wall of windows’ wrapping around the corner is dramatic and hard to describe...but absolutely wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the saline pool as well as our breakfast-to-go in the coffee shop. And we are honored we are your new favorite hotel in downtown Seattle!!