“Pleasant Surprise - Nice, new large rooms”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Great hotel. Large room and bathroom. Perfect for a family of four. Housekeeping could use a little help. Overall, staff was very helpful and accomodating. I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2009

We are delighted that you chose us to be a part of your family trip and pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for the nice words.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is new and very clean. We had a room on one of the higher floors. Our view was nice, but not spectacular. The room has a modern decor and the bed is very comfortable. The closet area is nice and there is a safe in the room. The bathrooms are also modern and clean. They have a walk in shower, which I thought was cool.However, my husband didn't like it because water ends up getting all over the floor. They don't have free internet access which was the biggest downfall for us. If they did, I would probably have given this hotel the highest rating. The pool and fitness center are excellent. The pool and hot tub are huge. Also, every time I used the pool/hot tub I pretty much had them to myself which was awesome! We didn't use the spa, but it looked really nice. The locker rooms that lead into the pool area have a sauna and a steam room. The location of the hotel is pretty good. You can easily walk everywhere in Seattle from this location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2009

Thanks for the nice words. We know that our showers are a little different, and while they have been positively received by most of our guests, we know they are not for everyone. But we do have 80 rooms with two queen beds that feature traditional shower/tub combinations so be sure to request one of those rooms on your next visit. We are glad that you were able to take advantage of the pool & hot tub while you were here!

Reviewed August 11, 2009

Went down to Seattle with our kids and another couple just on a short trip from Vancouver for a few days last month. Chose the Hyatt at Olive 8 based on good reviews on TripAdvisor, then booked via Expedia.ca (whose rate we found through the TripAdvisor search engine -- gotta love TripAdvisor!). The Hyatt had no "2 Queen" rooms left at our promo rate ($162 Cdn/night), but we got a King plus rollaway bed, which worked fine for my husband & I and our two 9 year olds. Check in was fast and easy and the front desk, bell and concierge staff were all very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Loved the fact that the hotel is LEEDS-certified (hopefully, more hotels go this route). Well-designed rooms were a nice mix of comfort and modernity and the pool area was lovely (no outside access though). Didn't use the fitness room, but it looked beautiful -- spacious, bright and with great equipment. Great location close to main shopping area, with Pike Place Market/waterfront about a 10-15 minute walk away. The only negative thing about the Olive 8 was crazily expensive overnight parking (I think $30/night or more, which seems to be the norm in downtown Seattle) but we found nearby street & lot parking. Would definitely return to the Olive 8!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009

Wow, thanks for the great review; we love to host our neighbors from BC! We appreciate your detail and glad that you and your family were satisfied. Sorry we didn’t have any of the Queen/Queen rooms left; hopefully we can make that happen next time for you! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I have very high expectations for hotel quality and cleanliness and had checked other Tripadvisor ratings before booking. Agree with the positive comments. I found excellent staff, super clean and modern, yet warm and inviting. No problems with water pressure, and never noticed any compromise to quality as result of enviro conscious objective. Booked through Hyatt reservation and used CAA for rate of $179/night - included Breakfast for 2 adults at Urbana restaurant in hotel. Urbana food is top notch gourmet, organic, creative. Breakfast value is $50+ (I think they must have got that wrong) - kindly considerate of kids - organic mac and cheese for kids. Good spa, pool was lap but kids still enjoyed it, great hot tub. Awesome fitness facility! Best I've seen in any hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

We have high expectations too, and are delighted that we were able to meet yours! And we enjoy hosting guests who appreciate our sustainability objectives. We are very proud of Urbane Restaurant; please have a look at their website for more info on the local farmers we use. We are equally proud of the fitness center and share your opinion – although it’s nice to hear it from someone else! As always, we enjoy hosting our friends from Canada!

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Overall, we had an excellent one night stay at the Hyatt Olive 8. We have two small children and this is one of the first hotels we have been to that the portable crib was actually waiting set-up in our room (usually I have to do a reminder call)! The rooms are nice and very clean, but not "blow you away" beautiful. Very large bathroom with walk-in shower. There was only one robe which was a bit odd for 2 adults staying in the room. Our biggest issue was with the food options: no mini-bar, would not deliver mixed drinks to the room (only beer and wine)---although you can get a drink from the bar downstairs and carry up, and the bar closed at 12:00 on a Friday night. Basically, no room service or drinks after 12:00 A.M. The wonderful things? Gorgeous lobby, very clean/new, walk to everything downtown, and if you use the AAA rate (coupon code: BREAKF) FREE breakfast in bed (we are talking $85 breakfast for free!!!!). Still can't beat the Hyatt!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Glad to hear that the stay went well and the crib was waiting. We have kids too and know how important it can be able to put a tired little one away without waiting for a crib to be delivered. Point taken on the drinks and the Friday night hours. We will discuss as a team. We really enjoy hosting AAA/CAA guests, thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at Olive 8 with my wife for our anniversary.
The hotel was everything I was expecting from a Hyatt - clean rooms and amenities, great service in all areas, great location...everything that really mattered was great.
The pool was awesome, Olympic style and great for professional swimmers - I wish I were one to really enjoy that pool. The Jacuzzi was also great, very big. The best thing is that usually there is no one in the pool area - mostly 5 people.
I really have nothing negative to say except that I personally didn't like the food at the Urbane restaurant but I am a very picky eater so it doesn't mean the food was bad. Happy hour was great - the food was really cheap.
One comment on the bathroom door - I was with my wife so it didn't really matter to me but if I was with anyone else I wouldn't be comfortable using the restroom/shower since the door doesn't lock, it just slides in without attaching with anything. I tried looking inside while the door was all the way shut and you could see the inside so it's really something to look into.... again if you are traveling with your spouse it's not an issue.
There is no real great view from this hotel but it's nothing that can be changed. We had a high floor but we only saw buildings, nothing else. Also, I wish since this is a green hotel there was a green area for guests (small grassy area or patio style place). There was really nowhere to hang out in the hotel if you wanted to come out of the room, the lobby is kind of small and has no private places to sit down and relax.
Out of 10 I would give this hotel 9 and that's because of the small details above.
Would definitely stay there over and over.
Thanks again to the Hyatt team working at this location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

I enjoyed reading your review and appreciate the detail, and glad that we delivered on the things that mattered to you. Urbane is not your normal hotel restaurant; our focus is on working with locally sourced foods so it’s a little different than what you may find elsewhere and we know it’s not for everyone. Same for the bathroom door; it is a little different but we felt the ‘barn door’ allows our rooms to have a little more space in the room. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your anniversary; we hope that we can play a part in your future celebrations!

Reviewed August 7, 2009

Not really much to say. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last month -- it was one of the best hotels I've ever been in. This time I wanted to save a little, so I moved around the corner to this place. It's only slightly less luxurious, a bit less on the common areas. I like the room's style (cool glasses!).

Check out the wine bar's happy hour.

Dinner around up the street at the Dragonfish is also highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2009

You're our favorite type of guest; one who is willing to give both of hotels a try! Glad that you enjoyed both of them. ps - We love those glasses too!