“Beautiful, simplicity and contemporary!”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #10 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 17, 2009

It was not fully working, but it is a hotel with beautiful, contemporary and design, staffs are friendly and helpful. Hotel restaurant (not like the other hotel restaurant)- must try, fresh local ingredients, reasonable prices!!

1  Thank hotelbug68

Reviewed April 8, 2009

My hubby and I loved this brand new hotel! Walking distance to the Market, stores and resturants. The employees are friendly and very helpful. Rooms are a good size for 2 people and very comfortable. We had breakfast in their resturant , and it was pretty good. Again, great wait staff.
For anyone that likes to get a good workout in while vacationing.....the 2nd floor gym is for you! All brand new equipment. Weights, cables, ellipticals, treadmills, bikes and stability balls....and more. Love it!!!
We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CATLOVER__CB
Reviewed March 20, 2009

As a few reviewers have already stated, this is a new hotel, equipped with everything that comes with it: fancy enviro-friendly features that mostly don't work, and a staff that trips over every situation. Beyond the fact that we chose this hotel for the pool and spa and upon arrival were told they were out of service, Hyatt robbed me and my wife of more than $2,000 during our three night stay, making our vacation utterly useless...

After negotiating a refund for our final night's stay due to the lack of amenities described on their website, we patiently awaited the credit to our account (in addition to a $400 credit we were supposed to receive from gift certificates we presented at the front desk). None of these credits showed up, and the next morning, we were charged three times the full amount of our three night stay! Although Hyatt had deposited our gift certificates, they never bothered to give us the credit!

Management apologized (not adequately, FYI) but gave no clear explanation of why this happened. After speaking to my bank, the manager (name of JP) promptly left for four days to go on vacation, leaving us with his trusty Assistant, Claudia. Claudia continuously apologized, but was unable to change the fact that all three of our bank accounts were down to ZERO (one of them was in the red), because of their "mistake" (I am being generous calling it a mistake, as since then several things have happened to lead me to believe this might have been malicious).

Claudia then told us to have drinks on the house. We asked if two friends could join us and she agreed. Our last night we spent drinking with a couple friends, trying to enjoy ourselves since we had been stuck in the hotel for three days with NO MONEY.

The next morning Claudia informed us that our charges were unjust and she didn't think they should have to pay for it (total for four of us was $200 + tip - average drink cost at their pricey bar was $16! - that averages two drinks per person). Unjust? I think not! After arguing with her, she agreed to cover it. I told her I wanted a receipt and she informed me that I did not need one.

Of course, when we returned home I found that they had indeed charged my debit card for the full amount, even before they had fully refunded our $2,000!!!!

I am still awaiting a resolution for this problem. Hotel management has now decided to tell me that they are standing by the charges - basically admitting that Claudia lied to us, but being perfectly okay with that. They have the upper hand, because we gave them our credit card number - apparently if you have someone's credit card number you can charge them to the end of the Earth!

Being a new hotel might excuse the pool and spa being closed, it might excuse the faulty wi-fi and the bunk air conditioning, but it does not excuse petty theft!

7  Thank folkystar
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights in March. Check-in was efficient. The employees were all very helpful. What really impressed me about this hotel was the interior design. It really is well done.

The rooms are a bit small. The beds very comfortable and the bathrooms were small as well, but I suspect this has to do with its eco-friendly nature. The breakfast menu was varied and the food very good. They avoid bottled water by serving purified city water and I have always wondered why more restaurants don't do that. It was a nice touch.

We purchased the Awaken Package which included breakfast. they told me it would be deducted at check-out. I am always leery of that but indeed it did not appear on the bill.

The workout and pool area were one of the best I have seen in a downtown hotel . The equipment is first rate and the area very clean and well maintained. The hotel is well situated in the center of town and easy to find. They have chilled towels which is an added bonus.

There is a bit of hall noise that makes its way into the rooms. I always anticipate this and bring a fan for white noise. Curiously, when I was leaving the hotel, the concierge told me I didn't need to bring that as they have fans if the guest requests one. That showed me the kind of effort and forethought they put into their guests.

I would definitely stay here again. I am a big fan of the Grand Hyatt and it will be tough to choose between the two.

1  Thank gktmd22
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed at the Hyatt @ Olive 8 March 7-9, 2009. The hotel is very clean and new. The "green" concept is cool. You have to use your room key in the room to active the lights. I was told this was to conserve energy. The lobby area seems very cold. It's almost as if they are lacking some furniture or something. The walls are very thin at this hotel. You could hear the maids cleaning in the room next door and every time your neighbor slams the door you are sure to here it too. The water pressure in the shower is just okay. They installed a low water pressure shower head to conserve water. I didn't like the fact that if you didn't call the front desk and ask them to change out your towels they would leave your dirty towels in your room wherever you left them. I am okay with not having the bed linens changed daily, but the shower towels is another thing. They have a half glass wall in the shower so you are cold the entire time you are in there. The half glass wall looks cool, but it is not practical. The water splashes out to the bathroom floor which ends up making a mess. Bring your own shampoo, conditioner and body lotion if you are used to using higher end products. The hotel will pride you with very generic stuff.

The location of the hotel is excellent and the staff is very nice. The Spa is not open yet. I was disappointed that the pool was closed. They do have an awesome gym and the equipment was outstanding.

Overall we had a good stay and would probably consider staying here again based on the location. We did take Hyatt up on their off of pay for one night and the second is half off. Be careful if you use this promotion. They will charge the full amount when you book the room and then tell you that they will deduct it from your charge card at check out. When we went to checkout they conveniently forgot to add in the promotion to my bill. I was charged for two nights at the full rate. Once I brought this up to the attention of the front desk representative they apologized and said that she had to manually put the promotion in to the system. Had I not looked at my bill right away this would have been a mess to explain after the fact. Be sure to check you bill before leaving the property. If you use this promotion avoid using express checkout!

If you have the opportunity go see The Lion King. It is an awesome show.

2  Thank SAYMBA
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I have been to every hotel imaginable in North America! From your 30 dollars a night to your 800 dollars per night! This hotel definately fit all my tastes! If you're going for modern esthetics, this is your hotel! the service is amazing as well.
The bathrooms are a generous size! Definately gives you room to move around! This hotel has everything you would need as a business traveller. The desks are great with plugs for ALL your electronics (USB, digi video, 4 power outlets, pc video, etc).
I ate nearly all of my meals at the hotel restaurant, "Urbane". The staff there were GREAT. Most of them remembered my name and they were always friendly.
Overall I really enjoyed this hotel! Nice fresh furnishings and a great modern young design!
The only thing i'd change about my stay, if i could have, would have been the view. Although, it's in the middle of seattle There isn't much you can do besides knock down a few other buildings!

1  Thank RJRVancouver
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I went on a 3 day business trip and thought I'd give the whole LEEDS hotel thing a try. Wasn't disappointed. The lobby entire hotel feels open and very clean. The rooms were very efficient in their layout with HD channels and a big LG flat screen tv. The bathroom had a large sliding door and they used some beautiful tile and granite to finish it. They also had an interesting energy saving feature that you used your room key to keep the lights on. Which not only work well, it kept the key in one spot which saved those embarrassing trips to the front desk after locking yourself out. They also included toothpaste, which seems small but I had forgot mine and that saved me wandering around to buy some more.

It was also nice to see a hotel with a social conscience. The roof is the largest green roof in Seattle where they'll be growing herbs and spices for the restaurant (I got a full rundown from the bartender). The shower head conserves water but doesn't feel any different that a normal shower. They won't change the towels until you let them know. The toilets are #1 and #2 flush. They even have a water purifying system in the restaurant that nearly eliminates their need for plastic bottles of water. The kitchen apparently has an extensive organic compost program too, although I was on my third Mojito (incredible, freshest tasting drink, must try) so I didn't catch all the details. All very impressive.

Oh and the fitness center was equipped with gear that would make some modern gyms jealous. If you're a fitness buff this alone is a huge feature.

Location was great. I did manage to walk down to Pike Place Market in about 15 minutes. Otherwise it was all business and meetings.

The only shortcoming I found was there was a bit of work being done on the lobby floor when I arrived but they seemed to be done when I checked out.

I would definitely stay with them again.

1  Thank GleanGuy