“Modern hotel in a nice location”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for 5 nights. This was definitely one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at. The hotel is new, and modern. We loved the simple, clean decor. The location was great...just a short walk to lots of shopping and Pike Place. Westlake station was also close by which was convenient for taking the monorail to Seattle Center to see a bunch of the attractions there.

Check-in was simple. We arrived late at night (felt even later for us as we were on east coast time). The young lady at the front desk empathized and quickly moved us along. We stayed in a standard king room. The room itself was a good size, was very clean and well-maintained. The bed was comfortable and had a nice duvet. I loved the bathroom decor. The "open" shower was different but really nice. There were a lot of little extras that were nice (like the anti-fog mirror). On our last night, we discovered the pool. We wish we went sooner! The pool area was really enjoyable, especially the hot tub. It wasn't crowded at all. There were lots of towels laid out on the recliners. The area felt almost spa-like, especially the change room that was well-stocked with toiletries. It was nice to detoxify in the steam room after spending days walking around the city.

The only negative thing I found about this hotel was the lack of soundproofing between rooms. We could hear word for word conversations from the people staying next to us. Fortunately for us, it was just on our last night. Overall though, we had a fabulous stay and would gladly return if we ever visit Seattle again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,537)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We spent 5 nights in mid April and enjoyed our stay. Very nice hotel and very clean. The room had everything we needed and the view of downtown was nice as well. Service at the front desk was great. The location is great for travelers as it less than a 15 minute walk to most attractions downtown.

We have no complaints about this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Like all Hyatt properties I've stayed in, the Hyatt At Olive 8 provides a comfortable, upscale room without the fussiness you might find at other places. We got a corner room which provided an excellent view of the city; although on a lower floor - 4 - one wall of our corner room abutted the roof of the adjacent building, so one wall of our corner faced out onto a roof and giant air conditioning units. Still, the city view aside from the roof was excellent. The bed was wonderful and the other amenities were fine.

The hotel's location is central to the eastern end of downtown. It's a bit of a hike back up from Pike's Place and the waterfront attractions, but a nice walk if you're a hiker and unbothered by hills. Still, you will find an upscale shopping center nearby, along with assorted retailers of nearly every variety within a short few blocks. The Convention Center is almost next door. Nearby restaurants abound, from upscale fine dining, to chain favorites, to gastropubs and bakeries. One of our favorite breakfast spots is a short four blocks away.

Where this hotel really set itself apart is with the service provided by its employees. I was flying in from a business trip and meeting my wife and 4-month-old daughter for an evening in downtown Seattle. My wife and daughter arrived first. She attempted to check in at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle (pretty much across the street from the Hyatt at Olive 8).

Despite her mistake, the Grand Hyatt employees were friendly and helped my wife with our bags across the street and left her with an Olive 8 employee who, in turn, helped my wife check in and take her bags upstairs to our room. This employee offered my wife a complimentary bottle of wine and a free movie credit simply because of the fact that I would not get in until later. It is nice to know that my wife and daughter were not treated as if they were a nuisance or a chore (like I've experienced at some of Hyatt's competitors). In my absence, the employees of Hyatt made sure my wife and daughter made it safely to their room, and showed that the comfort of their guests is a top priority.

I would not hesitate to stay at this property again or to recommend it to friends and colleagues needing a room in downtown Seattle.

Room Tip: If you're going to get a corner room, splurge for a higher floor if available (at least higher t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TacomaJoe
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Usually stay at Hilton properties for work, but this hotel came recommended. Comfortable bed, quiet rooms, and amazing gym facilities. And lots of workspace in lobby. Oh, and the apples. Have to love those when one is in WA state.

Only minor complaints was that a ozone machine was left in my room. Smokers? The room didn't smell or anything but made me wonder a little.

I'll return, even though I am loyal to hilton this hotel is very new, hip and "green".

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Typical Hyatt. We stayed in a suite, it was well decorated. Was large, comfortable and modern looking. The room was oddly shaped, but that didn't really bother me. So oddly shaped, I felt it was worth a mention. The room was quiet, and the bed was comfy.

The best part for us though, was the staff. We had early reservations for Canlis and my husband called around to find a hotel I could get ready at first (as it would have been needed before normal check in). The Hyatt said, "No Problem". My husband called an hour before we arrived and they confirmed a room would be ready for us. We got there, and the room was given to someone else by mistake and they were super apologetic. They gave us a meal, alcohol and free wifi. I wasn't overly concerned and told them so - but they still wanted to make it right.

We live nearby and don't often need to spend the night in Seattle but I'd recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed two nights at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for a work event in March 2014. The location is great if you're going to hit the major tourist attractions in Seattle ... unfortunately, I just had time for work. Still, I enjoyed the hotel and it's sleek, modern decor. The room was very comfortable, and it uses some "green" technologies like energy-saving lights that require the room key to operate. I ordered room service from the restaurant located in the hotel. The macaroni and cheese was AMAZING. I also had coffee both mornings at the coffee shop in the hotel lobby -- probably not surprisingly for Seattle, the coffee was excellent. Perhaps my favorite local twist of the hotel was the bowl of complementary Washington apples on the front desk. I had two, and they were delicious. If I return to Seattle for a non-business trip, I'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Spent 4 nights at Olive 8 - took advantage of their great swimming pool and sauna. Staff was very helpful and professional. You're within about 6 blocks of Pikes Market, REI, and a little farther walk to Seattle Center. I will definitely go back to this property. We got a good deal on the stay by paying in advance - well worth the money!

Room Tip: They're all good. If you want a bath tub, make sure you specify. Our room had shower only.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple