“Best deal all around”

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in the middle of January and got a great deal directly thru Hyatt's website. Special thanks to Andrew and Peter at the front desk and concierge - when I first checked in I was given a room on the 7th floor right by the elevator, even though I asked to be higher up and in a quiet room. Upon asking, I was moved to the 16th floor and as far from the elevator as it gets. I had no issues at all with hall or neighboring room noise.

This hotel is 5 minutes from Westlake and about a 15 minute walk to anywhere in the city. I made it off my plane, got my bag, took the light rail into town, walked to the hotel, checked-in, and was in my room in about an hour. There are several restaurants in the area, good shopping, bars, etc. It's an easy walk to the market and waterfront, and the Monorail stop is about 3 blocks away which will take you straight to the Space Needle (if you want to do the typical tourist thing)

The hotel is very modern both in the common areas and in the rooms. My room's view was to the northeast - and although not much of a view looking into other high-rises - it was still cool being on a high floor (17 is as high as it gets). The bed was very comfortable and it was easy to adjust heat/cold on the thermostat (all LEED certified and controlled by your room key). The bathroom was clean and bright and I had plenty of good pressure hot water. There's a mini fridge and coffee maker in the room - pretty standard. I used the pool (which has music playing underwater), hot tub and steam room every night I was here - all were excellent. I didn't use the spa or fitness room but saw them both and they looked nice. The restaurant and bar area on the main floor was packed every time I passed by, so I never stopped to check it out. Room service food was good and delivered quickly, but ridiculously overpriced, as expected. I ordered a chicken sandwich one late night while working and with a glass of juice it came to more than $30. The next day I walked (literally) across the street to Subway and got the same thing for $10.

My only two complaints are - one, no free WIFI - and two, weak TV channel lineup. The lack of free WIFI is enough to drop this hotel to 4/5 stars instead of 5 stars. It's really a shame considering most major hotels in the country offer complimentary internet access - even Hyatt Place by the Space Needle provides it for free. As if it wasn't enough that you have to pay for internet access - the connection options are tiered - $10 for 24hrs of "barely broadband" or $15 for 24hrs of 6Mbps. For anyone here on business - consider the difference of $5. I could barely stay connected to my VPN on the cheaper tier. The channel lineup isn't as big of a deal, but still, disappointing for such a nice hotel. Maybe 25 channels total - all basics, no guide. There's an input box on the desk that you can plug your laptop into and pass video to the TV - I wish I had known. Bring an HDMI cable.

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again. The location is unbeatable and the rooms are very comfortable. Just try to score a discount - it'll help balance out the nonsense of paying for internet

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mxb_se
Write a ReviewReviews (2,569)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights on the 14th floor with views overlooking the high rise of part of the down town area. Its location is excellent - walking distance to the main retail hub of Seattle, and to the wonderful Pike Place Markets and all major attractions. The lobby area seemed busy, very busy and often crowded most of the time, as the hotel was the venue for a conference taking place. It was hard to find a spare seat in the lobby area and the charming little cafe that is there. The hotel is modern, with a very pleasing contemporary decor.

The twin room I stayed in was long and narrow - very comfortably furnished with good seized desk for working, one arm chair (for a room that could accommodate up to 4 people?). Bathroom was spacious, although there was no lock on the bathroom door, and if you did not gently and painstakingly shut it, it would gradually slide open!! The floor was quiet, and there was no noise from adjoining rooms. Water was $5.00 a bottle in the room!! Sheeesh. Internet was free - we were given an access code at checkin, and it functioned very well.

The fitness center and pool are excellent. Equipment is clean, and facilities are very nice and upkeep is excellent. Overall, service was excellent, courteous and staff were always helpful with suggestions and information. They appear to be well trained.

For a city that prides itself in coffee, the brown stuff served in the restaurant for breakfast was bitter, overcooked and simply disgusting. The coffee in the cafe was much better.

Room Tip: High floors give you the potential to get a view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WorldTraveller08901
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for two nights, very very clean. The best part of this hotel is the staff. Everyone was so helpful and kind. We were given great advice about restaurants, and places to see. They gave great directions. The gym and pool facilities were excellent, the best I've ever seen.

1  Thank HarisonR
SeattleHyattHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is our top priority to keep our guests happy and comfortable and we love getting to know them and finding out how we can furthur meet their needs. It's wonderful that you got to enjoy our amazing heated saline lap-pool and 24-hour fitness center; hopefully next time you'll have time to try a treatment in Elaia, our full service organic spa. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Seattle!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well Done Hyatt! Great Downtown location. Can walk to shopping, entertainment and restaurants. Rooms are Energy Efficient and nicely decorated. The Staff was very knowledgeable and recommended a great place to eat. Salt Water pool an added plus on a cold, foggy day. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms looking West and higher up have a peek a view of Lake Union.
1  Thank BucketList22_2512
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I did like this room. It does overlook an office building but on a weekend, it was empty so we didn't have to close the drapes. Plus the fog was so dense this morning, you couldn't see across the street so it was good to have some perspective. Brownie points for several design elements in the room. The dimmer light in the bath was nice to leave a little light for night time trips. The good sized shower had adequate water pressure and the water was nice and hot. An extra suggestion, with the controls on the opposite wall from the shower head and that much room, having 2 shower heads would be absolute luxury. The make up mirror is large but the counter is quite short for a tall person to use it. Luckily, it was the right height when I put it on top of the kleenix holder. The sliding doors are nice touches without taking up floor space for the swing of the doors. A large electrical panel on the desk made plugging in 2 kindles and 2 phones easy without crawling under furniture. The staff were cheerful, pleasant and very helpful. We had to tease them about allowing us to experience the electronic check in without out help. The front desk staff were quite nice about storing our bags for the day before our flight, helping us with the flight check in and holding our shopping bags with the luggage. They were all cheerful which is a delight to see in customer service. There is a real, full size hair dryer that works quietly, a treat from the underpowered noisy ones that you usually see. The location is just a block and a half from the train from the airport, very easy to walk and the hotel is very easy to find. The pool was nice with a good hot tub. The water was hot and had an adequate chlorine smell in the hot tub. The coffee was adequate with packets for the coffee maker. The coffee maker is in a separate cabinet in the sleeping area so it required taking the maker into the bathroom to get it to an outlet and water. There is not an outlet that I could find in the storage cabinet so it required moving it to find electricity. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: 1430 is far away from the elevators. It is a quiet room, minimal hallway noise. View is of the adjac...
2  Thank xterrared

Thank you so much for your great feedback! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Since your comfort and happiness are our number one priority here at the Hyatt at Olive 8 it's wonderful that the room, shower, and amenities were able to help you relax. We love getting to know our guests and making sure that their needs are met and it's so great that you got to experince that. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in August, Nice clean rooms, Close to the market and shopping, The restaurant down stairs is greater had breakfast there everyday. Parking is down the street but not a problem if you use the valet. The people of Seattle were so nice and friendly. Great city Great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank lmnopo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Quite possibly the best "downtown" type hotel I've ever stayed at. We loved the saltwater pool, which was very relaxing with underwater music, a great hottub, steam rooms, and saunas. The room was clean, modern, and very comfortable. The "green" features including room key controlled lights were a cool bonus. Location was convenient to the monorail to get up to the Space Needle area and a reasonable walk to the Pike Place market area.

Room Tip: We got a great price on Hotwire for a 4 star.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chmeeee
SeattleHyattHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your great feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed our spa and saline lap pool, the music under the water adds a nice touch. Our goal is to create a relaxing and welcoming environment; it's great that you got to experience that. Our wonderful location in the center of downtown allows for easy access to the monorail and great shopping and entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Seattle.