“$250 view of someone's cubicle”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #11 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“$250 view of someone's cubicle”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel was nice and well appointed. Brand new and immaculate, the spa/indoor pool were way above average. The room was comfy and the check-in staff were great (let us check in early too). But for $250 (including $40 for parking) I'd expect a little more. The window looked out directly at a nearby telecommunication office, so close we could almost read what was on the workers desks. Then when we were using the convenient in-room ipod docking device, the staff felt the need to let themselves in and have us turn it down. Granted, we had it loud, but you would think the walls in a brand new building could handle everything that little ipod dock had to give. Anyway, for the money I would look closer to the water for a view next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Frankie_Hummus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I was really excited about staying at the Hyatt at Olive 8 during my Christmas trip to Seattle. Unfortunately, the hotel was a bit of a let down.

First, I'll start with the positives. The location is great. You can walk to Pikes Place Market, the Seattle Great Wheel and Aquarium, lots of great dining and shopping, and it's a very quick drive to many of Seattle's other major attractions.

The pool, spa, and gym area is very nice. In fact, disproportionately so compared to the rooms. The spa in the hotel is very nice but services are extremely overpriced. Unfortunately, that's about all I can rave about.

The hotel isn't bad, it just isn't great and definitely isn't the posh digs it holds itself out to be. Let me explain...

The hotel does hold itself out as a luxury hotel. So, I would expect fluffy towels and comforters, rooms that appear fresh and clean, and fixtures in rooms that have a luxurious feel to them. I would also expect consistency throughout the experience. Additionally, the highest valet rates in the area tell me that this new hotel feels that it is THE place to stay in Seattle.

So, one of the first things I noticed was the paper-thin towels in the bathroom. They were something you would expect to find in a Days Inn, not a hotel like the Olive 8. The comforter too left much to be desired.

Upon check-in, I was informed that the hotel was only about 4 years old. Great! However, there were multiple areas in the lobby and my room with damage and large scuffs to the walls. Hmmm...maybe better maintenance is in order.

As far as cleanliness, I was grossed out because I noticed upon arrival in my room that the small table was covered in coffee/water glass rings and other dried liquid drops. I expected that housekeeping would rectify this the next morning, but the nastiness remained the entire five days I stayed. To me, details like this are why you stay in a nicer place, so this was pretty disappointing to me.

Now let's talk fixtures. First of all, in the bathroom the shower was a nice marble tile and glass setup with a nice polished nickel water control. However, the drain was an industrial type drain that you would expect to find in a seedy gas station bathroom floor. Additionally, the shower head was something you could buy at the dollar store. Then in the room, the lamps were very cheap again like something you would expect to find in a budget motel. There were also some burnt out bulbs in the lamps.

Lastly, no consistency in breakfast delivery. I requested water each morning with breakfast. Some mornings I received it, and some mornings I didn't. When I did, water glass and coffee cup sizes varied from day to day. Rule number one in any decent dining establishment is that each plate comes with a glass of water. The guest shouldn't have to request it, and if they do, it certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

I should take a moment to point out that the hotel only offers valet parking and it is $42 a night. You can park up the street a little way for $30 a day. Also, there is NO free Internet. $9.99-$14.99 a day. What?!?! At these room prices, can you not throw us a bone?

Look, I understand that none of these issues by itself is that big of a deal, but I feel like the whole reason luxury hotels are luxury hotels are because details like these are not overlooked. As others have said too, the hotel lacks any real ambiance and just has kind of a sterile feel to it.

All in all, I would probably try one of the other nice downtown hotels next time I'm in town. Maybe your experience will be better...

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Annie C
Australia
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here this last weekend with friends. The location for this hotel is great right by shopping and restaurants and an easy walk down to Pike Street Markets. Rooms are quite modern and clean, but hotel lacks any sort of ambiance. We will be staying at The Fairmont Olympic when next in Seattle

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeremy928
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at Olive 8 for one night in December 2012 for a girls' night on the town. We had a great stay. My gripes would be that parking and Wi-Fi are at a premium, but that seems fairly standard for downtown Seattle (although the Paramount hotel nearby has free Wi-Fi). The room itself was very clean and thoughtfully laid out. The bed was very comfortable. The desk staff and room service staff were very friendly. The location is great, walking distance to most downtown/Pike Place Market locations. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: As far as I can tell, the hotel doesn't really have a view (maybe the condos up above do?).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelingPenguin
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Not only is it well into the new millenium, but a whole new baktun, and, REALLY??? Uptodate LEED beautiful hotel, great staff and attentiiveness, but would not stay here again because it feels soooooo petty that they charge for wifi.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank kfior
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

First time stay at the Hyatt at Olive 8. Perfect location in central Seattle, not overly noisy, and the rooms were immaculate. Very modern and spacious rooms - I didn't have the chance to visit the pool, spa or restaurant, although all three looked nice. We got an excellent rate on the room. The hotel is within walking distance of theatre (Paramount Theatre is literally across the road), shopping and tourist attractions, although the walk to the Space Needle and EMP might be a bit more than most would care to walk. Easy access from freeway. Clean, modern and convenient - what more could you want in a vibrant city like Seattle?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Olive 8 is my favorite hotel in Seattle. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Positives
-Modern, clean hotel that feels very new and fresh
-Location, location, location! It is perfectly situated within walking distance to everything - Pike's Market, Pacific Place, restaurants, shopping, the convention center,etc.
-I'm big on cleanliness, and this place is so crisp and clean!

Negatives
-Only negative (and I'm forgiving them for this one since I was so impressed by everything else during me stay) is that if you have a room near the elevator it can be a bit noisy at times. Request a room as far from the elevator as possible

Thanks got a great stay Olive 8!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SeattleHyattHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
So glad that you were so pleased with your stay here at the Hyatt at Olive 8. We love that our great downtown location makes it easy for our guests to head to the Pikes Place Market, Waterfront, and Space Needle. Thanks for your wonderful feedback and hope to see you again next time you're in Seattle!

Sarah S.