“Fantastically original and innovative gem of a place”

City Hostel Seattle
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastically original and innovative gem of a place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

Last minute booking was a breeze and though the area was a bit out of the way and the area was a bit sketchy for my liking, it really is a gem in the heart of Seattle.

Each room is like no other since it is painted by a local artist. The atmosphere is hipster cool and the staff are really welcoming. Everytime you walk in the entrance they greet you like you are an old friend. There are plenty of bathrooms that are spotlessly clean. I was impressed with the all you can eat breakfast with a laptop going in the background playing music from fairtilizer website and the nice living room area that doesn't make the place feel sterile at all. It feels like the place to be. What really got me excited was that you could rent free fishing rods to go fishing! If only I could stay longer to appreciate this place. To be honest, it was my favourite part of Seattle and I had gone to the Space Needle, Fishermans Wharf and a local tour that went to Kurt Cobains house.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank drifting_nomad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

I recommend staying here cos the location is awesome; right smack in the middle of town. The decor of the place is pretty amazing too, interesting motifs on the walls, very tasteful & artistic. The place has a vibrancy about it; even when I arrived at 1am, the staff was so helpful and chirpy. Really pleasant experience. The only downside was my dorm faced the bars so it was pretty noisy till wee hrs, but they provided ear plugs. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Enhui
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

Clean and comfortable. Just blocks from new light rail. Plenty of restaurants & bars nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Ferndale, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

Would definitely stay again. Great location, people and atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank laboheme78
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

First off, this was my first-ever hostel stay. I travel a lot for work and for fun, and I normally stay in regular ol' hotels. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I knew that City Hostel Seattle would be perfect for my Seattle vacation.

And right I was. One of the great things that City Hostel has going for it is its location. Walk less than 10 minutes in one direction, and you're at the Space Needle. Walk about 10 minutes in the other direction, and you're at Pike's Market. The Belltown neighborhood has lots of bars, restaurants, and cafes to keep you fully sated. Most of the large hotels in Seattle are located among chain restaurants and mall stores you'd find anywhere else, so it's great to have so many good local options nearby.

The hostel itself was equally great. I booked a private room with shared bath for a mere $79/night, and scored a cool room on the third floor with a great view of the Space Needle. Bathrooms were always available and were kept very clean. The hostel's artwork is amazing. I'm all too accustomed to staying in hotels with mass produced pictures on the wall, so getting to sleep in a room that itself was a unique piece of artwork.

And City Hostel has great amenities. There's an internet center, library, theater, kitchens, and free continental breakfast (cereal, toast, fruit, and very delicious coffee). The front desk crew were always friendly, and it was great to hear "enjoy your day" and "welcome back" as I came and went.

I've only been back home for a day, but I can't wait to visit Seattle again. And when I do, I'm definitely staying at City Hostel Seattle.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank blingy
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Short summary: The staff behaved rude and the manager personally behaved very threathening. They took our money, didn't offer us the room we had paid for, and left us to the street frustated and sad. Thank you for ruining our Seattle trip, City Hostel Seattle!

This is the first review I ever write, but after this horrible experience I will start writing reviews from both good and bad stays. This was supposed to be the first stay on a four weeks trip down the western coast of the US. The short visit to this hostel was a horrible start of an otherwise fantastic trip.

It all started when our airplane from Frankfurt to Seattle was cancelled, and we got seats on another plane the next day. We had booked this hostel for the first three nights, and I called the hostel right away to check out if it was ok to arrive one day later than planned. I was told that it was ok that we would check in one day later and stay the next two night in the private room we had booked, but we still had to pay for all three nights. I was ok with paying for all three nights, as I was aware that I was calling on such a short notice due to the cancellation of our plane.

When we arrived the next day, the private ensuite room that we had booked at City hostel Seattle was not available. We politely declined the offer to stay in a dorm, and, as the hostel did not have the private room we had booked available, I humbly asked to get our money refunded. The staff didn't really seem to care about my problem, so they just called the manager to handle the situation. The manager said that they did not have a record of me calling and telling about the late arrival. When I showed the record of the phone call on my cell phone, he said we had to discuss this out on the street. This outside "discussion" was mostly him telling me in a very firm way that they did not have a room for us, we would never ever get our money back. The phone conversiation he explained by telling me I didn't understand english, because I was from Norway. If was extremely frustrating to listen to. He didn't even let me speak, so I never got to tell him I'm a former Cal student who have lived in the US for many years and should be able to understand the language. My girlfriend's first impression of the country I wanted to show her, was terrible. She was left inside, terrified, and was afraid her boyfriend would get a beating outside. Fortunately, the beating was only verbal, but if felt like they sort of verbal abusement a person with authourity (the numer of my credit card) would use on a helpless person.
I've never met anyone less service minded than the staff and the manager of this hostel.

We were treated bad, we did not get a room or our money back, and we had to go out to the streets, sad, tired, hungry and with a bad jetlag, to look for a hotel to start off our vacation in the US.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Jenshall
lava hot springs, idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Leave behind the sterile hotel that makes you feel like a stranger! Stay at the City Hostel in Seattle's Belltown district and feel like part of a family! This is the best run hostel I have EVER seen. the people who worked there were very helpful and friendly. there is WiFi and a computer room, a movie theater in the basement, a loungy place, comfortable seating in the main lobby, a library, kitchen on every floor, plenty of bathrooms and showers, a hot tub, patio, and the coolest artwork anywhere. there are great murals on the walls of all the rooms, and artwork hanging gallery style on the main floor walls. The whole place is very clean, the beds are comfortable, and the rooms feel very secure, you never worry about leaving your stuff behind. There were always great people to talk to at the group breakfast, and the staff was great in helping you with things to do and how to get there. It's in Belltown, and doesn't have the number of transients on the streets that you find in the downtown area. It has a great feel, you are surrounded by restaurantsand bars, and can get to all the attractions easily. Seattle has the best, easiest public transportation, and the hostel staff will help you with that, too! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple