“Best hostel I have stayed at!”

City Hostel Seattle
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We got there easily following the directions from the train. We got a free upgrade to a room with an ensuite! Softest sheets I have ever slept on. Hot shower, spacious room with carpet, I can't think of a hostel that is better than this one. If our room is anything to go by for the dorms, recommend it for sure! Oh and delicious quality breakfast in the morning free with the stay, amazing!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I took the Seattle light link rail system in to the Westlake stop and walked from there. It felt like a super long walk with the huge amount of luggage I had, but after I dropped it off, the walk was much shorter than it had felt. I arrived before the check-in time, but they had a great system in place in which I could leave my luggage and explore the city in the meantime. The hostel is located within walking distance of several nice coffee shops and also the Pike Place Market.

I enjoyed the art on the walls in the front, and they had a lot of other services available - such as a computer room, a movie area downstairs, the bathrooms and kitchens on every floor. I found the hostel staff to be SUPER friendly and helpful. They made it easy for me to find all the places I wanted to visit and knew a lot about the bus system. I was in a 6-bedroom mixed dorm and found everybody I was staying with to be friendly and respectful. The temperature in the room was fine, and everything was clean. I did feel a bit cold in the hallway after showering, but I get cold easily. I only wish the lockers had been a bit larger. What really made this experience very good for me was the helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013

What an awesome place on 2nd ave! It's a 10 minute walk from the market - so central! It also only cost $2.75 to get here from the airport with the Light link rail. I also appreciated the clear instructions they gave on their website.

Very organized in the way they manage and reserve guests and they offer a free breakfast that consists of cereals, fruits, and toast (with jam, butter, and peanut butter). You also have a selection of coffee and tea.

There are many washrooms on each floor and they are all well maintained. The rooms are clean with fun art in them and there is excellent wifi all through the building.

I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again if I go back to Seatlle!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Picked this out of both Hostelworld listings and Lonely Planet recommendation.

Being on an extended honeymoon my husband and I opted for a private ensuite room as opposed to dorms (might've been a bit weird us being in separate rooms for our honeymoon) so I can only offer a review from this perspective.

Firstly, it was very helpful to us to be told that the desk is manned 24hrs as we were arriving into SEATAC from Vegas quite late into the evening. The girl on the desk - Kat? - was very welcoming and friendly and whenever we were passing through the lobby the service from all staff was consistently polite and helpful.

Our room was clean with a comfy bed however the sink was separate to the rest of the bathroom and unfortunately tiny so I ended up using the shared bathroom sink to wash my face in order to avoid splashing water everywhere. We had a rail with space to hang our things on. The artwork around the room really set the place apart and was really unique. Our room was at the back so was pretty quiet most of the time, save for the odd noisy guest talking near the shared bathrooms.

I found it to be a bit cold one night however I had no problem procuring an extra blanket and even a heater to dry our wet things off from another worker there who introduced himself as Luke.

The facilities were really well thought out and an appreciated addition to the hostel such as computer room, library with DVDs and books, cinema room downstairs and laundry facilities. We found breakfast to be an ok selection with fruit, toast, cereals... Usual stuff for hostels. Kind of busy around the time we ate so get there early if you want a seat.

It is a bit of a walk from the Amtrack station but we got a cab for about $7. It's ideal walking distance to the space needle, EMP museum (this is amazing btw), Pike Place market and downtown area. There's plenty of restaurants and bars around the immediate area too.

If you don't mind paying a bit more, go for the private room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The hostel had a nice entrance and its very secure in a good area close to pike market. The courtyard is nice but smoke free. What's the point in having an outside area if your smoking patrons can't smoke there? Breakfast was free but really really basic. The bread they use is cheap and nasty. The rooms haven't been vacuumed in a while with super dusty corners. Quite place. Average.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed in a six beds dorm for 2 night. The room is very small, no common space in a room available for a backpack or a luggage ( The lower bunk bed is quite close to the floor so cannot put a huge backpack under the bed ). The hostel provide small lockers,bed sheet,blanket for guests. The bed is comfortable enough. I have heard that the area it is located is not a good area but it is vey near Needle space and the pier 66, took me about 10 min to the needle space by foot.

It is not that close to the West lake station. I suggest if you carry a huge backpack, you might need a bus to drop you off the nearest bus stop ( Bell street& 3rd ave)

They have all amenities you need in a good hostel. I just do not like that I cannot place my stuffs in a room but they have a luggage store with very good security on the 1st floor.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This place did have some good things going for it -- great location, for one, free, pretty-good breakfast, for another. They were oddly unaccommodating, though. We had a few large bags needed for camping later in the trip that we didn't need to drag up to our upstairs (no elevators) rooms, and although they had room for luggage storage, they didn't let us store the luggage there overnight. They also handed us our sheets that we had to put on the beds ourselves. Maybe this was insurance for us that they really had been laundered and were fresh. Room was ok, had a sink in it, but also peeling paint. We were on the street side and it was during Hemp Fest so it was NOISY all night. I had not slept at all the night before and remembered ear plugs, so I slept in spite of this. Showers were not especially plentiful and, while the hot water held up for me, my teenagers dawdled and paid the price by suffering through cold showers. I'll add that this place was NOT cheap, but cheaper than Seattle hotels -- we paid for the convenience, I think. I freely admit that I stay in 4-star hotels for business regularly so may have a different standard than others.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street side