“Impeccable”

City Hostel Seattle
“Impeccable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Open 24/7, very friendly staff, good amenities inc. computer room with free wifi. Also includes free breakfast, library room, a laundry room. One of the staff, Brittany, even gave me free ticket to Space Needle which someone had been unable to make use of due to time constraints.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love this place. The building outside is cool, the inside is cool, the staff are cool and the other guests are cool. You are welcomed as soon as you enter and given the full low down. Staff can be over the top but I do feel this make the other guests also friendly to one another and you therefore meet heaps of people.

Al the rooms are painted by local artists and all are different. The hostel is clean, there are many toilets and bathrooms to use. The kitchens have dishwashers and granite tops. There's a computer room with 5 pc's to use 24/7 and free wifi which is available everywhere and very strong. Free breakfast from 08:00 - 10:00 of toast, jams, fruit etc and cereals. There's a cinema with tons of DVD's to choose from and a laundry.

This really is a great place to stay and also near to the space needle. I had a view of this from my room. I can't praise this hostel enough!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The short version: incredible staff, great facilities, good location, clean.
The longer version: as soon as we first entered, we were welcomed by the lovely staff. I didn't meet a single member of staff who wasn't kind, friendly and helpful during the 4 nights we spent here. The nicest set of staff I have met at any hostel so far.
The hostel has very strict cleanliness and security policies - my friend had to keep her teddy in a plastic bag for the entirety of our stay, and each person has to show their keycard every time they walk through the door.
There is no elevator, which was a problem for us as our bags were very heavy, although a member of staff kindly helped us up to the top floor, which is where our room was.
Our room was clean - we were once in the room when housekeeping came to clean it. They were very thorough, and while some more cynical people might say this was simply for show as they knew they were being watched that day, the state of the room each day suggests that they really are that thorough everyday.
We stayed in a 4 bed female dorm with private bathroom. This meant we had an ensuite toilet/shower room and a sink in the room. The sink was tiny! But it worked so can't complain. I don't think it's really worth the extra $3 a night for the private bathroom - there were plenty of public restrooms and shower rooms in the hall, and when people in the dorm were sleeping it seemed rude to use our bathroom as it would have made such a noise. But the room was fine, the beds were fine, the lockers were a bit narrow but did the job, and it was good that you could borrow a lock for free from reception.
Breakfast was ok, but basic: choice of toast, two types of cereal, orange segments, chopped up banana, and pineapple pieces. Tea or coffee to drink.
The kitchen facilities were excellent - there was a kitchen on each floor, each fully equipped with stove, oven, microwave, electric kettle, and all of the utensils you could need. Definitely helped us stay on a budget.
There was also a large collection of DVDs that you could borrow for free - this was great, and we definitely took advantage of it. We didn't use the 21-seat cinema, the patio, or the hot tub - but I don't think I've ever heard of a hostel having all of those things!
The $2 charge to rent a towel was a bit of a surprise, especially given how strict they are on not bringing in bedding etc, as the charge would surely encourage you to bring your own towel?
The location is good - within walking distance of the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and the downtown shopping area.
The art all over the walls makes it stand out from most hostels - although if you're not a fan of graffiti-style art, this may not be for you.
In all, a good experience, I would go back.

Room Tip: If you're trying to stay on a budget, unless you want to reduce the chance of having to wait to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've seen many hostels since I travel a lot, but this hostel really tops my list. I stayed here three nights and wish I could stay longer. It's really clean, spacious rooms, plenty enough bathrooms for everyone, fully equiped kitchens on every floor, really cool art in every room and many facilities. The staff is also great, they're really helpfull and very friendly. The area is also really nice, and you can walk everywhere from the hostel. Also many restaurants next to the hostel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The City hostel is nice, with decently comfortable rooms and a movie theater, but the staff was a bit intimidating in their security measures. It doesn't send off a very nice atmosphere especially when you are checking in. It's only Belltown in Seattle and not the streets of J-Berg. Overall though, not a bad place, just security should be relaxed when talking to people and wondering if they are a guest or a bum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed in a private room for 2 nights and were happy with our stay overall. It isn't the most exciting hostel ever and it was pretty quiet when we stayed so if you are looking to party I would probably go somewhere else...but then again I don't think much partying happens in Seattle.

Breakfast is average but they do have a really cool hot tub! Plus the staff are some of the best staff I have met at any hostel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for one night, and it was the best night of our lives. Seattle may have been dreary and rainy, but the city hostel was a ray of graffiti adorned sunshine. The staff put up with my inability to be a normal human, and gave me directions to wherever I needed to go! The rooms were really cool and had a monkey with a laser gun on the wall. It also had a woman avenging the death of her loved one, I think the monkey killed him. or her. It featured a bio of the artist on the door which is SO COOL. Might not be the cheapest hostel, but it's totally worth it. Also the dude that was randomly assigned in our room was pretty awesome!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends