“Such a unique dining experience”
Review of Poppy

Poppy
Reserve with OpenTable
Poppy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 4,250 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Cross street: Roy
Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
Description: In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians.
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Poppy is one of my two favorite restaurants in Seattle. With several tiny dishes comprising the entire meal (soup in a sake cup, entree on a small plate, side dishes in petite ramekins, etc.) and seasonal, farm-fresh ingredients, Poppy is ALWAYS delicious and a taste adventure. Poppy also has excellent cocktails, and the dessert thali is not to be missed. I heart Poppy!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had never had thalis before so we were excited to try this restaurant after we had walked by it earlier that day. We ordered a few appetizers to begin with, and they were fantastic! I really enjoyed the goat cheese and fig tart, I could have eaten ten of them! I ordered the vegetarian thali and my boyfriend had the chicken thali. Overall I was very impressed with the variety and the different flavors and spices that were used to create such creative meals. All of the small dishes really came together and it was nice to try something out of the ordinary. The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was cozy. It was one of the most creative and unique dinners I have ever enjoyed!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ate here with my daughters.One has allergies and she had a great meal-harder to find than you might think.Everything was delicious and imaginative.Great service.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Where do I begin? I guess if you have never been to Poppy's you'll just have to plan a trip to Seattle and check it out! I know that doesn't seem fair but this was one of the finest meals I've had in my restaurant eating experience. The menu is different. They have a page of appetizers and then they describe their dinners as "thalis" . Each "Talis", has " a round tray on which sits a variety of small dishes are served, all at once, to each guest". I ordered "Crisp-skin king salmon with pinot noir fennel sauce, lobster mushroom & bacon. However the dish came with carrot lemon soup with dukkah, cucumber, black lentil and sumer salad, black eyed peas with berbers, peppermint snap peas, fennel and shish kimichi and nigella poppy naan. See my photos to appreciate the "layout of the food!"

My wife had "fennel ravioli with maitake mushroom, chive and fennel blossoms. One of my daughter's ordered the "yarmouth goat cheese-stuffed zucchini blossoms with corncake and tomato, which came with other exotic side dishes, including a beet and cherry gazpacho.

And since we were impressed by the incredible selection of appetizers, we began with the waitress's favorites... eggplant fries with sea salt and honey and a spiced fig, onion,blue cheese and sage tart! Both were superb.

They also have an extensive dessert menu: we samples a couple of very unusual desserts, one more unique and delicious than the next one.

Our entire meal was a culinary delight and one extraordinarily memorable evening. When you come to Seattle make a reservation for at least one meal here, and based on the crowds I'd recommend you make a reservation before you leave for your trip! And if you live in Seattle, well I envy you, since you will be able to return as often as you like!

I've included some photos to help give you a better idea of this absolutely incredible restaurant.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Ah the touch of the old HerbFarm comes thru at Poppy. Herbal flavors were bountiful without overwhelming. The thalis concept works for me as I had several small samplings that added up to a nice meal. Salmon with pinot noir sauce came with a crispy, salted skin ($27). Chicken with chantrelles had a smooth flavor ($24). Lentils with cucs and onions - nice variation on lentil salad. Carrot soup was good, Zucchini gratin - similar to the good swiss chard recipe in the old HerbFarm cookbook, not surprising, still good. Peas with mint - refreshing. Starter of fried ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms - so light and crisp. Nice wine list, many varietals. We sneaked in early, place was empty even on Saturday night but filled by the time we left, making a short wait for the check. Disappointments - eggplant fries were recommended but were dense, peach buttermilk ice cream had same issue - too dense, not refreshing. Tables are close together, so expect to inadvertently eavesdrop on conversations at other tables. Women's restroom needs some sprucing up and repair. The focus at the restaurant goes on the food not the ambiance, and the food - in the variety and quality, does take center court here.

Been to Poppy? Share your experiences!