Review of Poppy

Reserve with OpenTable
Poppy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 4,321 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Cross street: Roy
Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
Description: In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

What a treat! Visiting my daughter over Thanksgiving weekend and she was dying to try Poppy. Based on reviews, we had high expectations, and we were not disappointed! Neither of us is a big eater, so we shared an appetizer and a 7 dish thali. Left room for dessert. Starting with the creative and delicious cocktails, we then enjoyed the Dungeness crab and grapefruit salad. Yum! The scallop thali came soon after, and we loved all the flavors. Who would have thought vanilla parsnips would be a highlight? For dessert, we had the chocolate cake, which was more like a rich chunk of judge (that's a good thing....). Throughout, our waiter was friendly and attentive. All in all, it was a fabulous dinner.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Light, fresh, visually pleasing, interesting textures and superb flavors. The thalia groupings were neat and intriguing. Poppy's culinary star is a beacon of light in the direction of healthy, composed, but delightful eating. Too many of our restaurants absolve themselves of responsibility for providing balanced, healthy meals. Poppy is a great break in the right direction.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I ate here with guests in September of 2012. We were all very excited to dine here, since we had heard so many good things. Plus, I love dinners where there are a puzzle of things to taste and eat. Luv that! So, Poppy was it. Upon entering, its modern and clean motif is pleasant. Poppy is a smaller neighborhood restaurant with a slightly open kitchen. We made reservations earlier in the evening and at the time of our reservation, the restaurant was active but quiet. In a few hours this establishment gets bustling and lively, set on a busy street in seattle, its got neighborhood "people watching" written all over it.

Our server, in the beginning was great, no problems, great attitude and nice. We had drinks, then wine, and ordered starters. Our starters showed, and they were great! I can't recall exactly what we had, I believe squash blossoms and they were delightful. All was well. Drinking, chatting, enjoying good conversation, then.... the time began to pass and it seemed like we had been forgotten about. Our server was no where to be found and no one had checked on us, in what seemed and hour. I was in shock. Our dinners were still not out and we couldn't locate our server anywhere on the floor. I believe we had to ask another server if she could check on our meals, it seemed an extended period of time from appetizer to meal. (Yet, maybe that's how its supposed to be but we had no server to tell us that- I only say this because of all the work and detail that must go into each platter, all the different components).

So, once we alerted staff our meals showed up within minutes. I thought this was a a little odd, but we were all happy and enjoying our meals. I must say, dinner was great. I would recommend Poppy, especially if you enjoy multiple flavors, textures and just an all over interesting meal. What I did not care for was the complete disappearance of our female server and with no regard for where she went. I don't believe we saw her the rest of the evening. Not even to drop the check. This is just such a strange situation, I cannot give this establishment five stars. I felt someone, here dropped the ball. We were left wondering where our food was, where our server was, and just overall uninformed.

I'd say go, but keep an eye out for disappearing staff. Its hard to leave a tip, when you don't really know where its going... ???

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were interested in trying this unique concept in food--served as a thalia-a group of foods served on a tray. We had the 7 part thalia and each component was wonderful. We ate foods we would never have ordered on their own, but they each worked wonderfully with each other. My friend and I each had a different one, so we actually tasted over 14 different things. Servings are small, but all together make up a wonderful dinner. A must try.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is just a fun place to eat. I often get just appetizers at a restaurant, because I like variety and dislike large portions, so this place was made for me. Since there were 4 of us we ordered a lot of different items and swapped dishes according to taste. Most everything was tasty and interesting, all of it beautifully prepared, and a few things were outstanding – I would gladly eat the fig, onion & blue cheese tart every day of my life. Kudos to the wait staff too.