“Random vacation turns monumental”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I randomly decided to take a class by Stu Stuart, comedian and beer expert from the UW at the Experimental College in Seattle. In searching for a hotel I wanted somewhere I would feel safe and cozy and clean while traveling alone. The staff was awesome. So friendly and helpful and accommodating. The hotel was clean and I loved the technology available with the i-pod doc, flat screen, and DVD player.

I will stay there again if I travel that way in the future!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Thanks! I’m really glad you enjoyed your stay. The next time you visit checkout our complimentary DVD library at the Front Desk. We add to it every month, and have a great combination of contemporaries and classics. Happy Holidays!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed December 4, 2010

Spent 10days at the hotel. Room and service were excellent. Bathroom was small but clean. Location was near to visiting family. Location was in the Washington University area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Thanks for the kind words. Happy Holidays! Don Dennis ~ General Manager

Reviewed November 28, 2010

We got what I felt was a great deal on this place, especially over the Thanksgiving holiday. The location is good, but you are still a drive away from Pike Place and all the down town stuff. U District has lots to offer though. Great hotel with a cool lobby and adjacent cafe. Plenty to do within walking distance. Looking forward to staying there again. Parking in their lot is $10/day.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

I’m glad you discovered Seattle’s “U” District. It’s a great alternative to downtown with all its unique character and charm. Let me know the next time you are headed our way at ddennis@hoteldeca.com and I’ll recommend a few of my personal favorites. Thanks! Don Dennis ~ General Manager

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We remarked that when the staff starts calling us by name every time we return, you've been using hotels too much ! Seriously - the staff DOES call us by name. Yes, we've stayed far too many nights in Seattle in the last year (medical issues) - but we are always pleasantly surrpised to be treated like old friends when we check in again and again. Our first stay in this hotel was with a Hotwire purchase -- but since then they've always matched those rates for us without question (unless it was a peak day and they anticipated being 100% full).
This is an old hotel that has been restored. It's LOVELY Art-Deco style -- so well done, with such fine pieces of art and functional furnishings! The theme is carried through all the rooms, as well. We just enjoy walking around, enjoying the ambiance. It's quiet and clean and leisurely.
* The adjoining coffee shop is great.
* There's a couple of computers available for use (free), and they'll print anything you need through the network at the front desk.
* Free shuttle to nearby places -- hospitals, shopping centers, restaurants, doctors, etc. Book ahead to be guaranteed you'll be there on time -- shuttle is busy and punctual.
* The beds are awesome!
* Sometimes we had free parking vouchers -- sometimes we had to pay for parking -- never could figure out why it was not always the same.
* Close to University of WA hospitals and medical centers, and coliseum
* Wonderful little restaurants everywhere -- reasonable and great food easily available.
Our only problem ever experienced in all our stays was the heat in the winter. All the rooms face an outside wall (extraordinary views from every room ) - and it can be cold and windy in Seattle. The thermostats are poorly located in the room -- the heat vents runs inside the wall behind the thermostats, so when the heat blows, the thermostat picks up that warmth and shuts off. Arghh! Maintainence did their best by adding insulation behind the thermostat - but we found the only way we could resolve the problem on several below-freezing windy nights was to unscrew the thermostat from the wall and leave it dangling where it didn't pick up the duct heat. Worked perfectly then! They need to relocate all the thermostats. Maybe they've resolved the problem by now -- this was a year ago.

Our daughter had some complex surgeries, and they were very accommodating while she was covered with bandages and greasy ointments, providing extra towels and linens. We could see that their hearts went out to her -- all the staff was so kind to her.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

Thank you! I really appreciate your taking the time to commend our wonderful staff. And you’ll be pleased to know we fixed the thermostat issue. It took a little ingenuity, but we found a work-around for the design flaw. We just got our first test with temperatures down in the teens and the rooms stayed nice and toasty! Don Dennis ~ General Manager

Reviewed November 21, 2010

I was so impressed by the staff and ease of staying at this hotel I could care less if I could sometimes hear a shower in the next room (per other reviews). From the moment I walked in, I was greeted and treated like a princess and let me tell you, I was sick and stayed here for a week of work! Each staff member from the front desk to room service to shuttles to wait
staff gave me 5 star service. Food was delicious every time and every need was met with a genuine smile and expediency. I'll be honest, I probably will never stay anywhere else. Once I find a place like this, where I'm treated the way I was, I will recommend and stay here EVERY TIME! Even Joseph took and picked us up for a concert one night for our convenience! These touches are the things that create long term patronage from very satisfied customers! Thanks Jairo for showing us the sites (troll), you made our night, Alex for our wonderful morning shuttles and company, Reid for shopping, and Christy, Shaun, Austin and Amanda also for AMAZING service and care! I will be back all thanks to you!

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank you for the kudos for our wonderful team! Don Dennis ~ General Manager

Reviewed November 15, 2010

Ok if your planning a wedding and thinking of staying or using any of the facilities of this hotel be weary and don't expect any cooperation from anybody at this Hotel . Previous to our stay we asked to speak to someone about catering a rehearsal dinner didn't hear back from anybody until the day before the wedding. Several of our guests did not get the discounted room that we had blocked out specifically for our guests. Actually several of our guests when making reservations contacted us because they were told that they had no records of our wedding and the the arrangements we had already made. We stayed in the penthouse which is beautiful but garbage from the previous guests was still in the room we called the front desk 3 times to have the garbage removed but they never did it. None of our guests were able to come to our room because their elevator key wouldn't work for the 16th floor. In some circumstances that would be nice but when you have numerous people from all parts of the country staying in the same hotel it would be nice if they could come to your room. The kicker of disappointment came after our wedding, we were opening a bottle of wine, it slipped and fell onto the glass counter top of the bar. You would think the bottle would break well it didn't the countertop did. My new wife cut herself on the broken glass and we called the front desk to tell them about it and they acted very non-chalant "Oh we will have our engineer look at it when he's in." OK, having broken glass all over your room is ordinary and not having anybody come look at it or even come and clean it up is that customary hotel service. Anyways nobody came to look at it, we checked out and 2 days later I notice that they had taken $1500 out of my acct for the damage without approval, without an invoice and without even contacting me. I had a great wedding and Hotel Deca is well decorated, but the people who manage that place do not know how to communicate or make guests feel very welcome. We made that hotel a lot of money by staying there and inviting all our guests to stay there, but they did nothing for us, I mean they didn't even clean the penthouse properly and they basically stole money out of my pocket. I'm still dealing with that mess 2 weeks after my wedding. Get it together Hotel Deca.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JCR3000
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Thank you for submitting a review about your experience at Hotel Deca. Please accept my apologies that things were not 100% perfect for your special occasion. I understand that our asking you to pay for the 10 foot long bar top that was destroyed during your stay has most likely contributed to your unfavorable impression of Hotel Deca, but as I mentioned to your wife when I spoke to her on the phone we are committed to finding an equitable solution that takes into account any shortcomings you may have experienced as our guests. Our number one goal is to exceed each and every guest’s expectations, regardless of the obstacles we sometimes find in our path. I assure you our team will learn and grow from your comments.

Don Dennis

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Very convenient hotel close to U of W and within a short drive of downtown Seattle. Older building remodeled in an Art Deco style (hence the name). Decent size rooms (mine was 1212) with good views of the surrounding area. Free wireless (and wired DSL). Private parking lot adjoining the hotel -- but you have to pay for parking. I like this hotel better than the University Inn -- has a better hotel feel, more comfortable, even though the University Inn has larger rooms. Hotel Deca does have flat screen TVs, although all the channels are analog, not truly HD.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Thank you! Next time you join us request an ’06 room on a higher floor for an amazing view of downtown and the Space Needle. Don Dennis ~ General Manager