“Overall grade A+”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Forget the quirks of an old building (which I personally find charming!) because the staff more than make up for any small deficiencies. They were truly fabulous! There's a young man at the front desk that knows more about the local restaurant scene than any 5-star conceirge at the fru-fru hotels we've stay at. And the shuttle drivers know just about everything there is to know about Seattle and are so polite. We were in town for our neice's wedding and it was wonderful. The ballroom was beautiful, the food at the reception was delicious, and the service attentive. We had a room with a lovely view of the Space Needle, a comfy bed, and it was very clean. Overall grade A+!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I recently stayed at the Hotel Deca because we were dropping off my little sis at college. I would have to say that it is one of the best Seattle hotels around. This hotel was in a great location and even though it was a little more expensive then usual hotels, it was well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I would reccomend this hotel with some reservations. It was stylish, had some of the necessarys like internet, etc. and the beds were super comfy. HOWEVER, it was fairly far from where I wanted to sightsee. If visitng the University only it would be perfect but everywhere else is a hike. The staff was friendly enough but not particularly helpful in addressing two concerns I had. I heard there was a free shuttle from a friend that lives in Seattle not from the staff. Next time I visit, I will pay more for a better location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I travel semi-frequently to Seattle (3 to 5 times a year) to visit friends and my daughter, who attends the University of Washington. I usually stay at the University Inn, a sort of plain-vanilla hotel near campus with nice amenities, a great staff and spacious rooms. This last trip they were booked and the only near-campus option I had was the Hotel Deca. I booked myself a room and then looked at the trip advisor reviews here, prior to my flight. I was alarmed by some of the negative ones but I discovered they were unfounded. No hotel is perfect, but Hotel Deca is a solid choice for travelers interested in staying in or near the University District.

PROS:
1. The bed - the mattress and pillows on my king-sized bed were unusually comfortable, and I'm a picky traveler. In fact, I had a better night's sleep at Deca than I've had at many five-star spa hotels.
2. Other room amenities I enjoyed: Flat screen TV, windows that actually open for fresh air (be alert, if traveling with little children) free wireless internet.
3. The food in the basement-level restaurant, which is also the room-service kitchen, is surprisingly great. I ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was really upscale, fresh and delicious. Room service was prompt, also excellent, and not as costly as it could have been.
4. Staff - Every single employee I came into contact with was friendly, warm and helpful.
5, Location - Right on 45th and Brooklyn Ave - a great intersection with pedestrian traffic, shops, bus lines, etc. This is a bustling, student-oriented little pocket of Seattle. The guests in the hotel were divided between business travelers, academic visitors and families of students coming to UW for the new semester. Oh, and for what it's worth, a few other guests at the hotel were cast members from "The Real Housewives of Orange County." Ha - that's either a plus or a minus, depending on your tastes...
6. Free use of the desktop computers and printer in the lobby. - I didn't bring my laptop and made use of both.
7. Free shuttle rides - wherever I wanted to go.

CONS
1. Bathrooms are smallish.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Hotel is trying to be "artsy" but instead is decorated cheaply . We smelled pot coming through the AC vents. The staff was very nice and friendly , but the location of the hotel and the patrons are less than appealing. Everytime I walked outside my room I felt like I was surrounded by thugs and gangstas.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2009

As I write this, I am sitting in a room that smells of smoke and trying not to listen to the loud sex noises of my neighbors through the very thin walls. I made a bad choice to stay here. With so many other hotels in Seattle, I could have done way better for the price. The pictures make it look nicer than it actually is. The location is good and the staff is helpful enough.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank 19aml75
Reviewed September 9, 2009

The Hotel has a very helpful reservation department--very courteous--only problem when we arrived at the hotel for a 10 day stay (medical treatment) the suite we were promised was NOT available! We were given a room and they moved us the next afternoon. The room was spacious but never up to hotel standards for cleanliness I didn't think. Coffee shop: In the area known for its great coffee--Tullys didn't make the grade! Next trip I'll return to the University Inn--very accommodating and CLEAN!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business