“Nice hotel, friendly staff, close to Seattle Center” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Deca
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington Coast
“Nice hotel, friendly staff, close to Seattle Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Deca, although the Hotel was not located directly in Downtown Seattle, we were still close enough to the city that it was only a 10-15 minute drive down to the Seattle water front. The hotel staff was very personable and friendly and the rooms were very clean and decorated nicely. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Portland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline, and it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Full size bed for 2, a bathroom so small I had barely enough space to close the door, a bed so uncomfortable, I woke up in the middle of the night with a backache, and walls so thin I could hear the people next door going to the bathroom...

I usually book my hotels through Priceline and I had never been disappointed until I stayed at Hotel Deca. I requested a king size bed (instead of 2 queens) and instead, they gave me one full! I don't know any other hotels with full size beds...and they call themselves a 31/2 star hotel? I stayed at a 3 star hotel by the airport which was MUCH better than this one.

Needless to say...I don't recommend this hotel. You can find much better deals elsewhere in Seattle. If you have a car, I would recommend staying by the airport. Bigger rooms, better quality beds, for much cheaper.

3 Thank Traveler2064
las vegas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

Hotel is very nicely decorated in a modern theme. Room was attractive and sufficiently large for a 3 night stay. Negatives were the paper thin walls, very slow elevators - probably because there are only 2 elevators for a tall building, and ancient plumbing. Plumbing makes very loud noises when neighboring rooms flush toilet or use shower. This is guaranteed to wake you up - trust me I lived in New York City - I'm used to some noise. Parking is cheap, the area is pretty decent. Lots of good ethnic restaurants nearby. On my last morning in the hotel, when I turned on my shower, a man in the neighboring room started screaming obscenities and threats through the walls because evidently turning on my shower had caused his to lose hot water. Not what I would expect from a so called 3.5 star hotel. When I notified the staff, they said "why didn't you tell us, we could have notified management?" my answer was that I snuck out of my room in fear of my life! If I was not already in the process of leaving that day, I would have called 911, not the hotel management.

Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed on the 5th floor in room 512. We were at the mercy of the sounds from the elevator, and because the walls are thin those sounds dominated our time there. In addition to that the smell of urine (from a previous guest) seemed to grow more pungent over the course of our noisy overnight. This is a glorified party hotel, and the staff is too young to treat it like anything more than a crappy job. On a positive note the rooms do look nice, and if you get a room facing southwest you'll enjoy a great view of the city and Mt. Rainier.

1 Thank gregtead
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

I recently stayed here for business and was very impressed. The staff was great and very helpful. The food was above average and very good for a hotel. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The size of the rooms surprised me for a boutique hotel. I would certainly stay here again for business. Free high speed throughout the hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

I have to be honest. We made our reservations on Priceline and I was somewhat anxious about this hotel. As someone with a strong design background I was both enthused and put off by the online photos. Would Hotel Deca be a style over substance kind of place? Would the service be snooty and the bed beautiful, yet uncomfortable?

Lucky for us, none of the preceding proved true. Hotel Deca is beautiful and a wonderful find. We stayed on the 8th floor and I can attest to the great view of the space needle! Our room was spacious: there were three of us (hubby, me, and our toddler) and we were comfortable. There also were plenty of outlets around with which to charge our electronics. The room featured a comfortable sitting area with two armchairs, a nice big fully-stocked desk, plasma tv with DVD, iHome alarm clock, and comfy down comforter.

Also, I am what some would call a "germaphobe" and found the room to be exceedingly clean. I've stayed at 5 star hotels and this hotel lacks some of the frills you may get at one of them. But, it gets pretty darn close.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

The Hotel Deca is lovely, and we liked its location in the University District near many ethnic restaurants. But the hotel was full of contradictions.

1. The hotel has screaming fast WiFi... but our room had no outlets for charging our laptop. Lamp wires went under the baseboards. We found one lamp plugged into an extension cord (hello! They are not for constant use!) and used that.

2. The hotel has beautifully designed chairs and Art Deco decor everywhere... but I sat on exactly ONE chair all weekend that was even comfortable.

3. The hotel shuttle exists... but to do what? We needed a shuttle to the Victoria Clipper dock, and the Clipper runs once a day in the winter. They said they could take us -- but the shuttle doesn't start early enough to do so.

4. We asked for more towels. The housekeeper came while we were gone -- and got out extra linens for the bed. Huh?

5. We had a catered event at the hotel and the hotel was given a head count in advance of how many guests would be there. They ran out of food.

6. The Deco bathroom had a pedestal sink -- which means there's no place to set down all your toiletries!

So, I don't know what to tell you. Go to the Deca with a powerful laptop battery, don't sit down, bring your own car and towels and snacks? It was lovely and convenient... mostly.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple