“Fun Hotel in Seattle”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Deca for three days in September. It is a very neat Hotel with great beds, nice employees and an overall good vibe. We utilized the free shuttle and went to Pike's Market and other downtown locations. This saved a ton of money on cab fare but please remember to schedule the shuttle early and tip the driver. Find a different place to have breakfast (like Costas) two blocks away but do have a cocktail at the District Lounge!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed August 27, 2008

In the past, this hotel has offered free parking and free continental breakfast (all of the other local university hotels offer this) but not currently. The staff did not seem to know about the basic amenities of the hotel, and our room was very small. I would expect much better from a boutique hotel

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2008

after seeing pictures of the hotel and its new renovations i was expecting more than what was actually there. but overall i cant complain its a pretty good location, no problems with staff, and respectably clean . if your planning a long term visit i would probably advice somewhere else but for a quick trip hotel deca was perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I must say I was a bit apprehensive after reading the posts here, but I can happily report our recent stay at Hotel Deca was very good.

We are a family of 4, with one 3 yr old toddler and a 6 week old newborn. The hotel room was large enough for us, although the bathroom was tight.

The room was clean and the hotel staff were great, contrary to some posts reported here. I know experiences can vary from person to person, but I have no issues with this hotel. $6 parking at the hotel was a good deal as well. This hotel is well-located within minutes of downtown and the Woodland Park Zoo (our primary destination).

Our PL bargain at $60 a night also helped.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 13, 2008

The suite was smaller than most normal hotel rooms, it was over $300 a night, the staff was rude, there was hair and gunk in the shower, plus empty cheap liquor bottles in the closet. I will never stay here again.
We arrived at the hotel around 2 pm. The front desk wouldn't let us check in, since check in time started at 3. It was a sunny day, so we cheerfully left & went to walk around the U of W campus next door. When we returned a couple hours later, we were given a room on the 4th floor. It was the Junior Suite we were supposed to have, but we had been promised (and paid for) a room on an upper floor (those are the ones with a view). Our room looked out on a parking lot, and we had no view of the water or the city. I went back to the front desk, and they told me all the good suites had been given out earlier - we checked in too late to get one. I tried to explain that we had tried to check in earlier, but were turned away. But the hotel was full, and the clerk was unyielding & snotty.
The room was very cramped and small for a suite. There was no bureau, unless you count the 20" tall plastic bin with drawers in the closet. Also in the closet - two empty four-packs of cheap wine coolers. The bathtub had long dark hairs in it (we have short light hair), plus a patch of slimy moldy stuff. The acoustics of the bathroom vents are such that you can clearly hear other people in the bathrooms above/below you. Presumably, they can hear you too – all sounds are transmitted & shared. And I mean all.
The continental breakfast was inattentively served. Very slow to refill coffee cups, lots of fingerprints on the plates & silverware, had to ask repeatedly for things like coffee cream. We got to enjoy hearing the servers insult one another & fight over tips & complain about management. The food was OK, but the ambiance & poor service ruined it.
The sofa bed in our room hadn’t been made up (although we had requested it in advance), and when I called housekeeping they acted like I was making an unreasonable request. Someone finally came threw some sheets on the bed. But no blankets or pillows – that took another call, and another long wait.
We never got more than the initial, single bar of soap. We had to again call & ask for a new bar. How hard it is to put a new bar of soap in the room when you clean it?
Beware the rooms by the ice machines/elevators – both cause a lot of noise.
The lobby is indeed very pretty, parking is convenient, and the U of W is a stone’s throw away. But I would rather sleep in the gutter with the raving homeless people than stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank AKdogs
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I was a bit worried that it looked very trendy and boutique like from the website pictures so I wondered if it would live up to its images. It did. I was first greeted by Eric (aka Charlie) the bellman. He was extremely helpful and friendly. It was from him that I found out that the hotel had a free shuttle for locations approx. 5 miles from the hotel.
The decor was eclectic to say the least but it worked. A fire in the fireplace was a nice touch, except Seattle was experiencing a heat wave at the time. The elevators aren't huge but they work, interesting treatment with the decor, faux leather around the grab bars, a mirror and blue cut velvet. My room was on the 7th floor and had a great view out of the bay style window. I could see portions of downtown and the space needle. The room was clean with a European feel, especially the duvet on the bed and variety of pillows. The in room decor was nice too. The room was quiet enough, I could hear the neighbors water running if I was in the bathroom but there was nothing that disturbed my sleep. There was a large flat screen t.v. and also a dvd player. I did not try the internet connection so I can't report on that.
The hotel is in the University area so it is a fairly easy walk to campus. The area around it is okay, a bit grungy but nothing out of the ordinary for an urban academic area. It is also close to the water and some really nice walking/riding trails.
I was staying at a conference rate, so I don't know what the regular rate is but it was worth what I ended up paying. Enjoy your stay if you go. (BTW - I took the hotel shuttle downtown to the Westin and was able to walk down to Pike Place Market and the Space Needle.)

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Joy B
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Hotel Deca is located close to the University of Washington and near Lake Union. It offers a free shuttle to other parts of Seattle and from the airport. Rooms are comfortable. The night we were there the pianist in the very pleasant downstairs lounge was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)