“Nice Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here alone for two nights while tending to some business at the University of Washington. The best thing about this hotel has to be its location, mere blocks from the northwest corner of the UW campus.

I arrived late at night via Shuttle Express in the middle of a rainstorm (yep, Seattle). I was tired and hungry. Fortunately, The Ave (University Way NE) is only a block from the hotel and hosts myriad late-night dining options. I returned to my room (401) and got situated. You can tell that the building was built in the 1930s, but the 2007 renovations keep the interior feeling contemporary.

The closet was pretty simple, with a pull chain light switch and a curtain (rather than doors) separating the closet from the room. Sufficient enough for me. The bathroom was a little confined, but I wasn't looking to spend a whole lot of time in there anyway. As far as I can remember, all the furniture was nice enough to keep me comfortable throughout my stay.

My only minor complaint during my stay was the noise level. Perhaps it's a byproduct of a 1930s building, but the doors and windows were thin. 401 is right next to the elevator, so I could hear sounds outside my door. On the other end of the room, through the not-fully insulated windows, I heard someone fire up a leaf blower at 6:20am on a Wednesday. My suggestion? Ask for a higher floor and maybe one away from the elevator lobby.

I was able to explore The Ave the next 2 days as well as some of the UW campus. I liked that I was able to go to campus, come back, go grab a bubble tea, come back, go grab dinner, come back, etc. All without feeling like I was ever going out of my way to go back to my room. I never got a chance to visit the University Village shopping center (easily could have walked there), but I wanted more to explore the unique areas of the University District than shop at stores found in any mall in the US. I can't reiterate how great Hotel Deca's location is. With only my feet (and Shuttle Express) as my transportation this trip, Hotel Deca was perfect for me. It was also nice to come back to a lobby that smelled like coffee every time (Tully's is conveniently attached to the hotel).

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear KCKC2,

Thank you for your incredibly detailed review. I am not sure what else to say but thank you for choosing us. It sounds like we made a fantastic first impression and a lifelong fan. Thank you so much.

Jonathan Bartlett

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I booked via Hotwire and was very pleasantly surprised when we checked in! Friendly staff, clean, nice rooms and great location in the city. It was close to the interstate and we got anywhere we needed within 20 minutes! The coffee shop in the lobby is amazing! Booking via Hotwire can always be a little nerve wracking because you never know what you will get, but this was amazing. I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view!! Amazing - especially at night!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Alexa W,

“Awesome” seems to be the word of choice lately for so many of our guests. I LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for your incredible review. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to tell our future guests about our amazing hotel. It sounds like we may have made a guest for life.

Please come back and visit us anytime.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times in the last year. Each time I attended a concert at the Neptune which is across the street. The location for visiting the University of Washington or attending a show at the Neptune is perfect! The Hotel Deca is fun, funky and comfortable! Parking is easy, access to I5 is close and University Village shopping is also very near.

Room Tip: Just stayed in room 608-- large!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Chetboar,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you continue to choose to stay with us during your visits to the Neptune. We are a perfect location for that venue. Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have stayed here over and over again. This property, although not the newest in town, is going through a facelift. We love the staff and the experience every time we visit. Would love to see a better food/bar/restaurant option as the potential is there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alen F

Hello Alen F,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our amazing team. I have had the privilege of running a number of hotels and I have never worked with a more dedicated group of people. They are a wonderful team. I also want to thank you for your comments about the restaurant downstairs. Our Food and Beverage partner always enjoys hearing feedback so that he can create the most amazing experiences for our guests.

Thank you again.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My stay at this hotel was definitely solid. It's right in the middle of Seattle's University district, which made getting to things downtown quick and easy regardless if I was busing or driving myself. The rooms are classy, the rooms make you want to stay in and just grab a coffee from the shop downstairs. There's also great restaurants and shopping immediately around the hotel, so you don't have to go far for anything you need- I highly recommend Portage Bay for lunch. The staff was definitely a delight- Bronte was professional and great to talk to. Next time I need accommodations in Seattle, I'm coming back here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear RogueLegend,

Thank you so much for your awesome review. We are so glad you had such an enjoyable visit to the hotel and found the rooms extremely comfortable. Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Right by the Ave in the UDistrict in Seattle. It's great whether for Business or Graduation at University of Washington. We did stay on the weekend of UW vs Oregon and there was some noise but nothing unexpected on such a buzzing weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear ZenMaster852,

Thank you so much your fantastic review. We are all thrilled that we continue to create such wonderful memories for you and your family. I hope we will see you soon for your fourth visit.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ok, I know this sounds crazy but when you travel across the country and through two time zones it would be really great it the chamber staff were required to fix the clocks in the hotel rooms after daylight savings. It's confusing enough trying to figure out the time!!!!

Hotel Deca sweet and clean. Ask for corner room away from elevators. The higher you go the better the view. Affordable and close to UW campus. Loads of parents with their student offspring around so it must be a favorite among alumni too.

We visited for a week because of a wedding on campus. Loved being able to walk every where!

Take public transport to down town ...parking and traffic are a challenge in Seattle.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have beveled semi circle windows. Ours looked out on Mt rainier...really neat!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie C
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Annie C,

Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you found most of your experience to be enjoyable. Our entire team strives to create truly fantastic experience for our guests so it is always fun to read when we have met this expectation. I am also so glad you enjoyed the spectacular views from the hotel. Although we are not right in Downtown Seattle, our location allows us to have some of the best views of any hotel in Seattle.

Now as far as the clocks go, I could not agree more. The day after day lights savings our housekeeping team went to the guest rooms to ensure the clocks had been changed to reflect daylight savings. Clearly we missed a couple so we are rechecking every room to ensure the clocks are corrects. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Again, thank you for your review. We hope to see you again in the very near future.