“Great Staff & Location”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Vanessa was over the top helpful with my stay. The location and atmosphere of this hotel is excellent. They are still working out some kinks and updates to an old building that has been gutted. The place has character and the staff especially Vanessa was extremely accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Gareth P

Thank you so much for recognizing Vanessa. You are 100% correct when you said she was over the top helpful. She really is a very special member of our team so I am always thrilled when she gets mentioned. I will make sure she sees your post.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Deca

Reviewed October 10, 2013

On the first day of our arrival (late check-in), we noticed a brown substance located under the toilet seat lid. We addressed the issue with the hotel management first thing that morning before heading out. We were assured the issue would be resolved. Upon our return to the hotel late that night, the housekeeping manager was gracious enough to leave an apologetic letter for the cleaning oversight and a bottle of wine; unfortunately, the dried feces was STILL under the toilet seat lid. The hotel's immediate resolution was to temporarily relocate us (they assisted with the relocation) to another room in the middle of the night until our original room could be cleaned properly. In addition, the hotel staff failed to ensure the door (Room 707, the door does not automatically close like the others ) was closed when the hotel staff moved our items back into our old room during our absence, which could have subjected us to theft or a possible sexual assault. If the housekeeping staff failed to notice an obvious dried brown substance under the toilet seat lid, can you imagine what other unsanitary conditions you and your family will experience during your stay? This hotel is very quaint and the decor is nice, but clearly poorly managed. The hotel's "line" staff was extremely professional; however, the management staff could use a few training courses. I was refunded the cost of parking and the romance package ordered, really??? Do yourself and your family a favor...either stay somewhere else or bring along your own sheets, pillowcases, shower shoes, and a BIG bottle of Lysol.

Room Tip: If you still opt to stay, ensure the door to room 707 closes upon your arrival and departure.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goingtobarstow
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear goingtobarstow’s,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to Hotel Deca. I am so very sorry for your experience. I spoke to the entire team about your visit and we have made the necessary changes to ensure this does not ever happen again. Our goal is to treat our guests to the highest level of comfort and care and I am personally disappointed when we do not meet this expectations. I assure you changes have already been made based upon your comments.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Deca three times over the past year or so. The first time, the room was great but the hotel was renovating which started at 8am, waking us up. The second time, we were put in a room the size of a closet. Found out it was because we'd booked through priceline, and the hotel was full that weekend. The third time, they made up for the experience the second time by upgrading us to a junior suite. Regardless, I've been mostly satisfied with the amenities and will return the next time I need to stay in the University/Wallingford area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello indyglo34,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry we have not put the “WOW” in you yet but I guarantee you we will. It sounds like we will have another chance in the future to truly shine. We look forward to it.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We can't say enough good things about the Hotel Deca - it has a great location in the UW District, rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was very helpful. Venessa at the front desk was fantastic (she made sure that we were taken care). Thank you so much Venessa - you made a stay extra special! We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

DearWalkers338,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am thrilled you had such a wonderful experience. I know Vanessa already read your post and she was so excited. We hope you come back soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I arrived yesterday after a long, frustrating day of travel only to find that the room I thought had been paid for by my organization had only been booked. I didn't have the organizational credit card and really didn't want the several day amount coming out of my personal account. The staff person made all the difference in how I felt at the end of the day. She took my personal information but emailed the necessary form to our organization president in order to ensure everything was squared away. She completely understood my angst and handled the situation wonderfully. Staff can often make or break a hotel, restaurant, shop, etc. and the service I've received thus far has been wonderful.

Oh, and the eclectic style, beautiful and clean rooms help, too. Someone complained about a lack of dressers. I rarely use them anyway so that meant nothing to me. Perhaps if I were staying more than a few days, it would, but it sounds like that type of room is available if requested.

I highly recommend the Hotel Deca.

• Stayed: September 2013
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Hello Justacogitating,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for recognizing our outstanding staff. The person you dealt with at the Front Desk is truly one in a million. It is not surprising to me at all that she personally owned your situation and took care of it. I believe she has already read your post. I am sure she is thrilled she helped turn a possible difficult situation into an easy process.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel was booked for me but it was a lovely surprise. The U District has a very nice vibe to it with lots of places to eat and drink, plus a smattering of shops.

The hotel room was big, clean and modern, with a solid bed. The wifi worked and was free, as you'd expect. Parking is perhaps a tad expensive - $15 a night - but at lead they're upfront about it.

I booked a shuttle to run me into town and the driver was knowledgeable and friendly. We had a good chat while sitting in traffic. The reception staff were similarly lovely, albeit seemingly overworked.

All in all,I don't really have anything negative to say. A thoroughly good place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Hello K W,

Wow, what a title to your post. Now that is a way to get things started. I am thrilled you had such a wonderful time.

Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location is convenient to UW and walking distance to many restaurants. The staff was very friendly, and got more friendly as we were there five days for a conference. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, and the check in line was long - they need to hire more people, or at least have more than one person working at check in time. Aside from that wrinkle on the first day, everything was great, and we didn't want to leave. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hello HoustonJenn,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your recent experience to Hotel Deca. I am glad so many aspects of your visit met your expectations. I also want to thank you for specifically pointing out our wonderful team. I truly believe we have one of the best teams in the city. It makes me smile when they are noticed in such a forum like TripAdvisor.