“Excellent hotel with a staff unlike any other”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #62 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Excellent hotel with a staff unlike any other”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed one night in the Presidential Suite at the Deca, what an INCREDIBLE room. It's more like a luxury condo than a hotel room! I had a few friends over for a little get together to celebrate our graduation and they were equally impressed with the room. Drinking wine while overlooking the beautiful Seattle skyline is an experience none of us will ever forget. The balcony wraps half way around the building which gives you a great view of the city and Mt. Rainier! It was simply incredible. To top it off, the staff went above and beyond to make sure that we were comfortable and had everything we needed. Anything we asked for they had up to us within minutes! Incredible service. Both when I arrived and when I was leaving they took care of anything and everything I needed, you just don't find people like that anymore! Tanya at the desk always greeted me with a smile and the manager, I think his name was "Woody", was so caring and helpful. Every member of their staff that I ran into greeted me with a smile, it really made my entire day. I can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hello elcvtravel,

THANK YOU for such a wonderful review. I am thrilled that you had such an amazing time in our Presidential Suite. Your description is spot on. I personally think it is the best suite in the city. The views are spectacular to say the least.
I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to recognize our outstanding team. Along to Tanya and Woody our entire team truly cares about making our guests visits exceptional in every way.

We look forward to your next visit to Hotel Deca.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Deca so we could park our vehicle while we did the Alaska Cruise and stayed at the Hotel on the day we returned. Although all the arrangements had been made, when we arrived, the staff didn't have a clue what we were talking about. We were supposed to be shuttled to the port and the shuttle was not available, even though it was prearranged, so the manager took us herself. On our return from the cruise, we took a taxi to avoid having shuttle issues again and when we arrived at the hotel to drop our luggage, since our room was not ready that early, we requested a shuttle to take us into the city. You guessed it, the shuttle would not be available till after 3, so again we took a taxi. The staff just didn't seem to know what was going on and we didn't get anything that we had booked. Didn't get the right room, didn't get the shuttle, the beds have feathers in the mattress that stick in to you, and had plumbing problems to top it all off. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elaine D
Hello Elaine D,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience. I wanted to let you know how sorry I am that your experience did not come close to meeting your expectation. I have spoken to the team about your situation and I am confident the issue will not occur again. I was also concerned that you found feathers in your bed considering our beds are not feather beds. I did look at the room you stayed in and it is a standard mattress and not feather. We do have feather pillows so my guess is that is where the feathers came from.

I am also very sorry about your difficulties reserving our shuttle. As you discovered, our shuttle is in very high demand so we always recommend reserving it in advanced.

Thank you again.
Charleston, WV
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Hotel Deca is a gem. It's location is perfect, approximately 4miles for the Space Needle in downtown Seattle. From the moment you enter Hotel Deca, you know that you have entered a superior, noteworthy setting. The desk staff is professional, helpful, gracious. The fireplace in the lobby is always glowing cheerily. Fruit-spiked water beckons from a glass jug, ready to be enjoyed as you prepare to ascend to your room. The room itself is lovely. the view is spectacular --downtown, the Space Needle, and Mount Ranier! Breakfast is beautifully presented and excellent. The coffee is full-bodied. Service throughout is spectacular. The courtesy van takes you anywhere within 4 mile radius. The nearby University of Washington bookstore Is a gem. Hotel Deca is a marvelous place, not to be missed!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WVfanCharleston_WV,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to recognize our outstanding team and amenities at the hotel. We take great pride creating truly exceptional experiences for our guests so we are thrilled to learn when we have successfully met this lofty expectation. We look forward to your next trip to Seattle and Hotel Deca.

Thank you again.

Tokyo
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Same day telephone reservation on the rebound from a far less desirable property in the UW area, which has become somewhat seedy, especially in terms of eating places. But Deca staff are polite, gracious, young, and welcoming. (Prices here vary widely, request the "best rate".) There is a large Safeway and also a Rite-Aid convenient two blocks north. There is also an excellent and wonderfully old-fashioned drugstore a block over, with something of the Seattle time-warp, like the hotel itself. This is a Noble, not a Kimpton, property but the feel is similar.

Clearly, the SE corner, high-floor rooms are the most desirable. Beds may be "high off the floor" but are large and comfortable. The room "made our trip" once the sun and Mt. Ranier came out.

Plumbing a little old-fashioned, but this is a renovated historic property. There needs to be a brief printed building history of the hotel and its renovation for those of us who are interested. Architecturally, the 1931 date presents something of a conundrum worth expounding on.

Large gas-fire in the reception area, which is appropriate to Seattle. There's a Tully's coffee shop in one corner, but the basement restaurant (which has good daylighting) is a better deal, especially the coffee cake or French toast with fruit.

Was unaware of the Free Shuttle Service. Is this posted somewhere? Also there is a flat rate car hire to the airport (all inclusive at a reasonable rate), if you have a lot of stuff or are in a hurry. Book in advance at reception. Alternatively, I suppose you could take the hotel shuttle to one of the Light Rail stations downtown, which is also a fine and economical way to get to the airport, unless there happens to be snow on the day you are traveling. Then avoid the Light Rail.

If you need to be in the university area, this is a good place to be (with an extensive parking lot). The University Inn is more conventional and less fun. The College Inn does not have bathrooms en suite.

Room Tip: High-floor view of Mt. Ranier (when applicable). It is unforgettable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TokyoFrenchFlyer
Hello TokyoFrenchFlyer,

As the title of your posts indicates, the hotel has some of the most amazing views from any hotel in Seattle. On a clear summer day it does feel like Mt. Rainier is close enough to touch. Or if your room is on the other side of the hotel you can see the Seaplanes take off and land on Lake Union…truly spectacular.

Thank you for mentioning a little bit about the history of the building. When the hotel was built in 1931 it truly was an amazing piece of architecture. The architect was highly regarded as a true visionary during that era. When the hotel opened the fan fare was equal what would occur today for such a magnificent structure. We have done our best to bring a modern flair to the hotel while still keeping the design true to that era.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This Hotel was divine, looks very nich'e from the outside but once you enter, the place embraces you with it's warm feeling, the library, the fireplace & hotel staff that actually care.
The std room was larger than we expected (read lots larger), was very well presented, clean & well stocked with all the amenities required.
Within walking distance to many different restaurants within the U district. Buses into the city centre meters away. Well recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sniegy
Dear Peter S,

I always believe that a fantastic title to a post on Trip Advisor can make a world of difference so I have to say your title is the best title I have seen in a very long time. “Absolutely Brilliant” says a lot on its own so thank you very much. I am thrilled your trip was so amazing. We look forward to your next trip and thank you for recommending us to your friends and colleagues who will be traveling to Seattle in the future.

USA
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The place looks great on the inside and has a great location for the university and somewhat convenient location for a bus downtown (~30 minute trip). The staff was friendly and the room was nice. My only complaint was an early start to room service that woke me up (the do not disturb sign helped, but i could hear knocking on other rooms too).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear KBKBKB,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you found the hotel to be so comfortable. The bus is a very convenient way to get to downtown. For an even more convenient trip I also highly recommend our hotel shuttle. It always suggest making reservations however it is quick and we can also pick you up from downtown as well.

I am also very sorry about the noise from our room service team. We try very hard to keep the noise level as quite as possible early in the morning. If you are on vacation the last thing you want is to be woken up early.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next trip the Hotel Deca.

Scottsdale, Arizona, Usa
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is the second time we stayed at the Hotel DECA in the U District. We stayed there over Labor Day weekend and we were immediately upgraded to the one of the best views of Mt. Rainier looking Southeast through Lake Washington. Believe me it doesn't get any better than this view. In addition to be being on the...I believe 13th or 14th floor we had an oversize room that was decorated like a 4+ Star Hotel should be. We just re-booked the Hotel for the Wedding of a good friend of ours, Sonny Sixkiller's son, Tyson. Again we were moved up to a great view on the 14th floor, but it was raining, so we didn't get to see Mt. Rainier but the Lake Washington view was again... spectacular. I remarked to my wife that although the room was smaller than last time, I would take this view over any bigger 4 or 5 Star Hotel downtown that just looked at another office skyscraper. My wife of many years, and also a seasoned traveler of 20+ countries and many 4+ Star Hotels in the USA, was concerned about other comments online that said you could hear the room next door. We never heard anything on either stay and surmised that these comments must be from competitor hotels. The only noise I heard was the moaning of some pretty happy customers in the room next to the Ice Machine on the 15th Floor;-) The staff is exceptional, especially Alex at the reception desk, and the Bartender in the Hotel Bar kept the bar open beyond the Hotel hours on our first visit just because we were there. That is class....all the way. So was this just a fluke one or two time visit? I don't think so...and we would go back there anytime we visit Seattle. This Hotel "Kicks Butt" at a very reasonable price, but I probably just killed any chance of getting those discounted rates online again with this review...oh, well;-)

Room Tip: Just ask for the highest view room available. If they can do it...they will. FYI, they asked about...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Hello Steven L.

All of us at Hotel Deca could not be more thrilled that you had such a fantastic trip. Your review has been making the rounds to all the team members here and I speak for all of us when I say Thank You So Much!!!! I made sure Alex received his own copy of your review as well. He is truly a tremendous ambassador for the hotel.

We look forward to your next visit. I guarantee you it will ROCK again.