“The Hotel Deca Rocks!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Deca
Ranked #60 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona, Usa
“The Hotel Deca Rocks!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is the second time we stayed at the Hotel DECA in the U District. We stayed there over Labor Day weekend and we were immediately upgraded to the one of the best views of Mt. Rainier looking Southeast through Lake Washington. Believe me it doesn't get any better than this view. In addition to be being on the...I believe 13th or 14th floor we had an oversize room that was decorated like a 4+ Star Hotel should be. We just re-booked the Hotel for the Wedding of a good friend of ours, Sonny Sixkiller's son, Tyson. Again we were moved up to a great view on the 14th floor, but it was raining, so we didn't get to see Mt. Rainier but the Lake Washington view was again... spectacular. I remarked to my wife that although the room was smaller than last time, I would take this view over any bigger 4 or 5 Star Hotel downtown that just looked at another office skyscraper. My wife of many years, and also a seasoned traveler of 20+ countries and many 4+ Star Hotels in the USA, was concerned about other comments online that said you could hear the room next door. We never heard anything on either stay and surmised that these comments must be from competitor hotels. The only noise I heard was the moaning of some pretty happy customers in the room next to the Ice Machine on the 15th Floor;-) The staff is exceptional, especially Alex at the reception desk, and the Bartender in the Hotel Bar kept the bar open beyond the Hotel hours on our first visit just because we were there. That is class....all the way. So was this just a fluke one or two time visit? I don't think so...and we would go back there anytime we visit Seattle. This Hotel "Kicks Butt" at a very reasonable price, but I probably just killed any chance of getting those discounted rates online again with this review...oh, well;-)

Room Tip: Just ask for the highest view room available. If they can do it...they will. FYI, they asked about...
, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Hello Steven L.

All of us at Hotel Deca could not be more thrilled that you had such a fantastic trip. Your review has been making the rounds to all the team members here and I speak for all of us when I say Thank You So Much!!!! I made sure Alex received his own copy of your review as well. He is truly a tremendous ambassador for the hotel.

We look forward to your next visit. I guarantee you it will ROCK again.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
miami, fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Nice hotel right in the middle of university district. Rooms were clean and comfy. Staff was very helpful. They have a free shuttle service that takes you anywhere within 5 miles. I never got to use it because I had a rental but nice option I thought.

Their free Internet connection did not deliver. It lost 40 to 75 percent of all packets, rendering a merely 7k download and 2k upload. Remember dial up? The staff suggested I switch to their higher end speed , paid service of 1mb but the system remembered me and did not let switch. A shame as I was supposed to catch up on work on the weekend. And forget playing YouTube or any videos online.

But otherwise, a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank carlosmvaldes
Dear carlosmvaldes,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your recent visit to Hotel Deca. The shuttle is a wonderful amenity for our guests. It takes our guests to and from just about every major attraction in downtown Seattle. Seattle can be difficult enough to drive around in so allowing our staff to drive you is an outstanding feature of the hotel.

I am also so sorry to hear about the lack of internet service during your stay. A few months ago we installed and entirely new network that has been highly reliable. In fact many of our guests comment on the fact that they are able to play videos online, stream Netflix, or watch YouTube with zero interruptions or speed issues. This can be very rare in today’s hotel world. I have asked our internal IT support to check the network to ensure it is working properly. I am confident if there are any issues it will be immediately corrected.

Again, I am very sorry for the slow network however I am confident this will not be an issue during your next trip.

Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stay here 3 nights for work. Art decco style hotel that had been completely renovated. Lobby and rooms have a nice hip style. Rooms are smaller but had plenty of space. Staff has been friendly and helpful with places to eat and run. No complaints. I also had a great breakfast at the restaurant at the hotel...called The District. In conclusion....I will stay here again!
Jeff

• Stayed June 2012
Dear jarvmi,

Thank you for the wonderful review and the numerous fantastic compliments. One of our goals is to create experiences for our guests that hopefully will create a long lasting relationship. We are always overjoyed when we find out we met this goal.

We look forward to your next visit.

Chehalis, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed there. There are a lot of options in Seattle and I believe this one stands out among them. The price is excellent, the staff are professional, yet not stuffy. I felt I could ask them anything yet not feel stupid. The rooms were clean and downright cute! I ate in the restaurant and the food was good and quite reasonably priced, including the wine. My co-worker was able to order her food a special way that she needed and received it exactly like she wanted and enjoyed the flavor as well. I highly recommend the Hotel Deca and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello Nancy K,

WOW!!! Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your visit to Hotel Deca. I am not sure what else needs to be said but THANK YOU!!!!! We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we cannot wait to see you again.

Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I first trip to Seattle. Love the style of hotel. Front desk service very polite and friendly even when I felt I was being needy. Our room was a corner room with a great view, loved the windows wrapping for a wider view. I called front desk to have the windows opened and maintenance was there in a matter of a few minutes. Speedy! I asked him for suggestions of the area and he directed to our new favorite local shops. Maintenance was very nice and polite to us even after me asking him a ton a questions and I appreciate him be patient with me. The bed was very comfy with nice and clean room. I spoke to housekeeping also and again very pleasant and helpful. Ya did you note me being Needy in the beginning? I would without a doubt recommend. The hotel is not a high class hotel but service makes up for it. Service is extremely important to us.

Room Tip: Higher and corner for the best view.
Dear Becky U,

Thank you for such an outstanding review. We are all truly humbled that we helped make your visit to Seattle so memorable. I also wanted to personally thank you for recognizing our outstanding team. I agree that the staff is what makes the difference at a hotel. We have a wonderful team at Hotel Deca who really care about the guest’s experience. Anytime they are recognized for this is fantastic.

Jonathan Bartlett, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We loved staying at the Deca each time we visited Seattle because of its proximity to UW, where our daughter just graduated. The room, however, had some drawbacks -- no drawers for clothing, inadequate horizontal space in the bathroom for all we like to put there: toothbrushes, lotions, makeup, etc., not enough places to hang towels. . . So essentially it was necessary to live out of our suitcases. There was a great big closet with luggage racks, which sounds like a bonus until you find there's no light in there. . . but, the food was good in the restaurant, it's nice to have a coffee shop downstairs, and, best of all, it's close to the University. For 2 or 3 nights, it's fine, but for longer stays, you may want to find something else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Susan M,

We are so glad that you made Hotel Deca your home away from home during your daughters four years at the University of Washington. We hope that you will come and see us again even if your daughter is not longer a student at the UW. We are actually in the planning stages of an extensive renovation which should begin towards the end of this year. I would love to hear your thoughts when the new room is completed.

Thank you again for your continued loyalty.

Litchfield Park, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Deca Hotel is an awesome hotel experience. Check in was smooth and seamless. Rooms outstanding with beautiful contemporary deco and corner windows. Lobby concierge Emily was amazing in finding us dinner reservations! On a busy WSU graduation night the first place she suggested was booked solid. While we left to go to the nearby Safeway she booked us last minute reservations at another restaurant, Mama Melinas. The shuttle took us there and the experience was amazing (see OpenTable review). The assistant manager of the restaurant returned us to Deca in his private vehicle so we did not have to wait for the Decaq shuttle that was in use! Upon check out we aske Emily again for Pike's Market brunch suggestions - once again she prevailed including printed directions to Pike's Market. I can't say enough about our experience. Although we usually use VRBO for weeklong stays, I would gladly stay at Deca again! We left Seattle for a weeklong in Portland and I immediately wanted to return to Deca after checking into our downtown hotel with no views, no chaise lounge, no tub etc. Thank you Emily!

Dear Lisa B,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For such a wonderful review. I am absolutely thrilled that we helped make your trip to Seattle SO amazing. Emily is truly one of the many fantastic team members at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to recognize her. We would love to have you back so anytime you need a little get away we are here for you.

Thank you again.