“Great City, Better Hotel”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Great City, Better Hotel”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We went to Seattle for a wedding in May and decided to stay in the University district. Hotel Deca looked like a charming place on the web.

We checked in and were tired after traveling across country, the staff was very helpful and upgraded our room to the 15th floor with a view. Woke up the next morning opened the drapes and saw the most amazing site, Mount Rainier with no cloud cover. An amazing site!

The staff was very cheerful and helpful, even showed us the free video rentals. They had some GREAT restaurant suggestions. There was a fair on University over the weekend and we got so see some amazing local artisans and sample some fine cuisine.

We will be staying at Hotel Deca next and every time we are in Seattle...

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Mt. Rainier, you won't be sorry...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear TravelGoddess333,
I am so glad you had so much fun during your stay at Hotel Deca. Although we are just outside the downtown, our location has some of the best views in the city. On a clear day you can see all of downtown, both mountain ranges, and Mount Rainier. It is an amazing way to wake up in the morning.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Jonathan Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed four nights at the Hotel Deca and found it very accommodating with friendly staff, good shuttle service and in a great location in the university district. Will definitely stay there on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Hello Karen G,
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. It always puts an extra pep in our step when we find out we helped make a guests visit a little more enjoyable. We cannot wait to see you again. Enjoy the week.
Thank you again.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This hotel is one of the best values in the U District, maybe the very best. I had an elegant suite with a great view for less than I would have paid almost anywhere else in the U District for an ordinary room. The suite did show traces of its older incarnations (older bathroom fixtures, etc) but they were just fine for me. The bedroom looked totally new and stylish. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Jim Z,
I am so glad to see that you were so comfortable in the room. We do have some of the best views in the city that overlook some of the best sights in our state. Not many hotels have views of the Space Needle, Mount Rainier, the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges, and Lake Washington. Great views, great service, great amenities…what else can you ask for.
We look forward to your ext visit.
Thank you again.
Santa Clara, CA USA
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Deca earlier this year from July 28th to August 1st. I had no problems with that stay, Room 307 worked out great for us. Since they did so well on the last visit, I re-booked the place for my trip to Seattle in October. I was rewarded with a room on the 15th floor (great view of the Seattle skyline), a cheaper rate, and free parking. The hotel staff was very nice and remembered us from the last visit.

Almost all my stays in the Seattle area require that the hotel lodging is close to the Greenlake area and near the U-district. I don't have a need for staying in downtown. This was convenient for us. Our stay was originally for four nights, but family obligations stretched it to 6. We also saved some money by picking up some food items at the nearby Safeway, and using the fridge and microwave. The breakfast was fine downstairs, but seemed a little pricey. One of the best things was that the bed was extremely comfy, especially after a long drive.

I've stayed at the University Inn and the Watertown in the same area. They're okay, but a bit more pricey and the staff seems more reserved. This place gave me a warm feeling. They did great, and I know I will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms that end in 07 are your best bet..
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hello BUZZAlison,
If something is great the first time then why not try it again. Chances are it will be just as good the second time as well. We love to hear this message from our return guests. We really enjoy seeing familiar faces around the hotel so please come back anytime. I guarantee we are like a fine wine. We only get better over time.
Enjoy the week.
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Hotel is nice. The room could have been a little cleaner. The 2am staff showed they really cared for my every need. Young man was vey professional and polite. No name tag though so never got his name. Thankyou for the accomodations and making us know u cared about us.

• Stayed September 2011
Hello y_wonder,
I wonder y…just kidding. I am really happy to hear that we made you feel so special and cared about. That is our main purpose for doing what we do so thank you for letting us know that. I will also follow up with our housekeeping team to make sure that our rooms are always spotless.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
General Manger
Montana
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Some of the other reviews make me wonder if they're about the same hotel. This was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had, so this review will have a lot of superlatives.
The decor throughout the hotel was stunning. My friend and I had a room with 2 (extremely comfy) queen beds - it was stylish, huge (with a walk-in double closet) and very quiet. The view of the Space Needle was fabulous. The room rate was great value.
The staff couldn't have been more efficient or helpful. Great location (near Trader Joe's!) with a range of good, reasonably-priced restaurants nearby. Having a Tully's coffee shop off the lobby was another plus for me.
The FREE shuttle service was amazing: no need to stay downtown - they'll take you there and bring you back. All you have to do is ask.
I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Lastri,

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! We are so glad you had such an amazing time at Hotel Deca. We cannot wait to see you again.

Take Care,

Washington State
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here because we got a good deal using a hotel app - total including parking was about $126, not bad for Seattle!

The hotel has a European feel - it's an older building and a bit on the small side, but it's been updated with some pretty quality items (windows, window treatments, furnishings, and decor are all really nice). The room was spotless and the bed comfortable. Tullys coffee is provided.

I always make it a point to request the quietest room available, and Richard at the front desk was kind enough to put us on the 15th floor (there are only 16) away from the elevator. Light sleepers, take heed: away from the elevator puts you on the I-5 side of the hotel, so the street noise is pretty substantial. The noise doesn't bother me, but my husband slept with the AC on so the fan would help cover it. The walls are very, very thin, and we could hear the folks next door pretty well; however, they were early to bed and we only heard them a couple of times.

Our view was great, and our room had big windows that were low enough so that we could turn our chairs toward the window and enjoy looking out over the city at the Space Needle while we drank our coffee.

I have to say, the water bottles in the room are the coolest ever - despite the price (a standard but still expensive $3 and $5 depending on size), I bought them both. They are "Aquadeco", bottled in Canada, and they look like they ought to be holding a liqueur instead of water.

There's a restaurant on site - we didn't try it but the menu in the room showed reasonable prices. There's also a really nice Tully's connected to the lobby. If you're staying in the U District, I don't think it gets any better than this!

Room Tip: You'll want a high floor because of thin walls and street noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Bettiviz, thank you for your review. I think you hit all the best parts of the hotel. The water is called AquaDeco and it is the coolest bottle out there. I hope you get the try the restaurant the next time you are here. It is a great menu and on certain dates there is live jazz music to enjoy.

See you soon.