“comfortable, good value, service lacking!”

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #63 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Reno, Nevada
“comfortable, good value, service lacking!”
Reviewed December 13, 2006

I did enjoy most of the things about my stay here! We paid $99 plus tax for a king suite which was immaculately clean (something i am very picky about) and comfortable and nicely decorated. I liked that there was a bar onsite and we could order room service. We walked around the area a little bit but mostly stayed in the hotel and enjoyed ourselves. The breakfast was nice but I could see how it could get boring after more than a few days! We didn't use the pool at all because it was always busy! I noticed they had a computer area where you can check email which I think is a great amenity!

Things I didn't like: At check-in the clerk did not give us any information at all, not even to tell us where our room was or when breakfast was or anything, so I had to call down to the front desk later when I had questions. No opening windows, so no fresh air! The bartender was a complete snob and very rude to not only us but other people in the lounge. He had a major attitude problem! I didn't hear any of the traffic noises that people have complained of, but there seemed to be a fan on in one of the rooms around us all night long and that kept me awake! I also did not care for the forced $16 valet parking.

I would stay here again! The price we paid was worth it for being comfortable, the luxury of room service, and breakast.

• Liked — convenience!
  • Disliked — the service!
  • Tips/Secrets — don't drink the $2.50 bottles of water in the rooms!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank prettystella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My daughter and I stayed at this well-priced hotel ($99 a night for a king suite) for two weekend nights, and I was really impressed with the exceptionally welcoming service from the time I made my reservation through our departure. Every hotel employee we talked to seemed really friendly and eager to help with our questions. I was amazed in this day and age.

The L-shaped hotel pool is tiny, but looked like fun for kids, and there is a hot-tub and exercise room as well.

Breakfast was indeed abundant. We could make our own waffles, then add scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and fruit. Also available were bagels, muffins, oatmeal, yogurt--just about everything you could have wanted. One morning there was sort of a long line, waiting to make waffles, and then waiting for scrambled eggs. But that's being picky.

Our room was really nice (we asked for one away from the freeway after reading reviews here earlier) and it was still a bit noisy, but hey, it's the city. It felt like a deluxe room, considering the reasonable price, with nice bedding and even art on the walls that we really liked. We could even see the Space Needle a bit from our window.

The shuttle runs hourly, so it wasn't as though we could reserve it to go to a certain place at a certain time. But it worked out well for us, and when the shuttle missed us by just a minute when we needed to return from the Space Needle, they promptly paid our cab fare without my even having asked.

We will definitely go back when we have a need to stay near downtown Seattle again.

• Liked — A beautiful hotel lobby and rooms for the price
  • Disliked — A bit far from downtown
  • Stayed November 2006
4 Thank SmilingSojourner
Douglaston, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2006

I stayed in this hotel while I attended a conference in Seattle from November 14, 2006 to November 18, 2006. I thought I was saving my company money by staying here rather than one of the hotels closer to the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, but in the end I spent the same amount of money it would have cost me to stay in a closer hotel.

The biggest problem I had with this hotel is its location. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Convention Center due to the construction and the traffic lights. Try doing this in the rain a few times and you’ll see how much of a problem it is. Going to the Public Market and other tourist sites will require an even further walk. Expect to be very tired at the end of the day, especially if you are traveling here from the East Coast like I was.

Be careful with the valet parking. I woke up on the third day of the conference to drive my wife back to the airport. When I went to pick up my car, the valet came back and told me that my car had a flat tire. I am rather suspicious about how that could have happened. We did not run over anything during our drive from the rental car office to the hotel, and there were no apparent problems with the tires when we picked up the car. I have no way of proving if the valets caused the flat, but I am peeved that no one noticed the flat until I had to go pick up the car. Just imagine if I had discovered this on the day I was supposed to leave Seattle! As it was, I barely got any time to visit the Space Needle after waiting for roadside assistance to fix the flat. I also had to shell out an additional $30 to get my wife to the airport via taxi.

The breakfasts aren’t bad when you consider that they are included in the price of your room. I would be more disappointed with them if I had to pay an additional fee for them. The potatoes were usually lukewarm and the pancakes and french toast had that institutional taste. They also pre-measure waffle batter for the make-your-own waffle bar, but many days the amount of batter they gave you was not enough to make a complete waffle.

I also had an issue with the housekeeping. I returned to my room at the end of the day, only to find that the glasses in the bathroom had not been cleaned. I know this because my wife’s lipstick was still on one of the glasses! It was things like these that gave me an uneasy feeling about this hotel.

All in all, I have to say that I was disappointed with this hotel. It was not a bad experience, but it wasn’t up to the high quality I have come to expect from Marriott Hotels.

• Liked — The business center on the ground floor
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Wyatt1970
Ventura, CA
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Nothing fancy, in fact a bit cramped, not well laid out and located out of the way. Definitely not a walking destination to/from downtown or the seattle center. Was disappointing for a Marriott product.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Located poorly
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPCTCC
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We booked this hotel for a 3 night post Alaskan cruise stay in downtown Seattle. The hotel itself is located just west of I-5 but we had no issues with highway noise.

While it's not the most convenient location, they do offer a free shuttle to the convention center, space needle and weslake mall. All are within the free zone for downtown busses which make getting around Seattle very easy. Unfortunately, they are not very effecient with their shuttle. It rarely left the hotel on time and, despite calling the hotel to arrange pick-up, we were forgotten twice. Once resulting in a 45 minute wait standing by the side of the road.

We found it more convenient to walk the 6 blocks or so to the first bus stop in the free zone rather than ride the shuttle and walk the addtional 1 1/2 blocks to the first free zone bus stop.

The rooms were very comfortable and large. The hotel advertises a restaurant but it really does not have much of one. It's more of a lounge that serves food on cocktail tables. The free breakfast was very good with more than the average selection for a hotel continental breakfast. The weight room had very little equipement but guest can use the 24 hour fitness center across the street. The hotel also has a small indoor pool and a hot tub. The indoor pool is not heated and was a little on the chilly side in my opinion. If many people want to use the pool at once, it will get very crowded very fast.

While there are few restaurants close to the hotel, there are dozens within a short distance from the shuttle stops. A $4 to $6 cab ride over to Lake Union would get you to some very nice restaurants.

We rented a car for only one day to drive out to Mt. Rainer. There are 3 or 4 car rental companies within a short walk from the hotel. We rented from Hertz which is in the convention center. I could have taken the free shuttle but was able to walk the distance in about 15 minute. Walking was easier and probably quicker than waiting for the hotels free shuttle.

On check out I did have to remind them that we had booked the room for $129/night. They billed use $199/night. It was corrected quickly when I showed them my confirmation print out.

Overall this was a very nice stay and the hotel was very affordable compared to many hotels that were only 4 or 5 blocks away. If staying in Seattle again, I would give this hotel strong consideration based on it's price and ease of getting around downtown Seattle reasonably inexpensively.

• Liked — inexpensive cost of room compared with other hotels 4-5 blocks away
  • Disliked — No proper onsite restaraunt
  • Tips/Secrets — use the free shuttle or walk to the free zone downtown bus service rather than rent a car
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dougandshelley
Vancouver
Reviewed September 12, 2006

For the price, this was probably the best stay I've had in a Downtown Hotel in a major city. It was easy to find, and just off the freeway. This hotel was walking distance to the best part of Seattle, the shopping district and Pike Place Market. Had the Monorail been running, it also would have been easy to access the Space Needle! The room and decor was immaculate and stylish and huge. The "Continental Breakfast" was included in the price, and though we didn't partake, as we only had one night's stay and we wanted something with a little more "kitsch", I did get to see the spread, and it looked a little bit better than the average continental. We went to a show at the Paramount Theatre, and walked back to the hotel late at night without any worries, though it is in kind of a quiet business district so there aren't many people around. We're not really the kind of people to spend a lot of time in a hotel room, so if you like a spectacular view or whatever, this might not be the hotel for you, but if you want a clean, reasonably priced hotel with great friendly staff and a good location, stay here. If I ever go to Seattle again, I will definitely be back at the Springhill!

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room.
  • Disliked — The cost of parking.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you're hungry for a midnight snack, Romio's Pizza just down the street has excellent pies!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank finickyfinnigan
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Reviewed September 8, 2006

This is a very nice hotel as far as the rooms and environment; that's why I did not rate it 'terrible'. See other reviews for room details, but there is a glaring, unforgiveable problem: The hotel sits right next to Interstate 5 (which, if you know Seattle is busy almost 24 hours a day) and the road noise is horrendous. I asked to be moved from my room to a quieter one and the desk agent assured me that the room was the quietest in the hotel. This is unforgiveable for modern, very nice hotel to have scrimped on noise insulation when next to a freeway. The rate here was $120, which is not bad for downtown Seattle, but I had to sleep with earplugs and noise cancelling headphones on. No lie. Find a quieter hotel people, you will be much happier.

• Liked — The happy hour
  • Disliked — The road noise!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring earplugs if you plan to stay here.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple