SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #63 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Toronto
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We got this hotel on the Seattle Supersaver for 3 nights at the beginning of September, 2008. It proved to be an excellent choice.

The hotel is modern and clean with a nice lobby and bar. The indoor swimming pool and whirlpool were great. The towels were provided, the water in the whirlpool was at just right temperature. There was a computer room on the ground floor with free internet access, two computers and a printer. Access provided with the room “key” (electronic card). All free of charge.

The check-in and out was a breeze.

The room was decent size with king size bed, living area with sofa, and a kitchenette. Everything worked fine. We did not use kitchenette. Excellent buffet breakfast was provided, and we did not feel like cooking dinners there. Fridge came handy though to store some drinks. It is true that there are no restaurants nearby, but a walk to downtown takes only about 20 minutes, and the selection there is very good. There was also free coffee in the lobby 24h a day, usually of quite decent quality and relatively fresh. Starbucks is across the street for more sophisticated brew.

The area around hotel is not particularly pleasant and some may feel a bit uneasy in the evening. A lot better though than other areas in Seattle, for example around Pioneer Square. The Highway 5 is just outside the hotel. It is a bit noisy, but did not bother us, even that our room was on the highway side.

Hotel charges extra for parking, but we did not have a car so we did not care.

There is a free shuttle to downtown, but only every hour, and by reservation. We did not use this service. We walked everywhere. Both: downtown, and space needle area are only about 20 minutes walk from the hotel.

Overall it was a great place to stay, and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — quality of accomodations, internet access, breakfast
  • Disliked — neighborhood
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank traveler50123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2008

I booked this hotel through Priceline and was very pleased to score a room for $70 dollars. The hotel is not in the center of downtown Seattle, but more on the outside of the city, next to Interstate 5. That was not a problem for me, especially since the price for most downtown hotels is more than double or triple what I paid. Even at this location, we were more than able to walk to Seattle Center, Pike Place Market and the waterfront within 20-30 minutes or so. The hotel has a shuttle that picks up hourly from several places downtown which we took back to the hotel after navigating the downtown area. We stayed at this hotel the night before heading to Victoria, British Columbia, on the Victoria Clipper. We were able to drive from the hotel to the Clipper dock at Pier 69 within 15 minutes easily.

The room was incredibly clean and spacious. I had requested a King room, but was given a double queen, which is not a big deal. The sitting area was large, with a comfortable couch, microfridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable, with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was spacious and exceptionally clean. The Neutrogena bath products were very nice.

Another perk of the hotel is that there is a 24 hr fitness gym across the street which allows hotel guests entry. I did not use the gym, but it looked nice from outside.

The downsides to this hotel is that it was next to the interstate and traffic was very loud. If you require a quite room, this is not the place for you. Also, the hotel is not that easy to find because of several one way streets. Thankfully I had a GPS.

Another downside is that since it is on the outskirts, there are not many places to walk to have dinner or lunch. The area seems to be an area that is slowly building up and in a few years will probably have many places, but the closest place to eat was Paddy Coynes Irish Pub about 3 or 4 blocks away. I would be a little concerned about walking in the area after dark, since its so out of the way.

Overall, I was pleased with the hotel.

• Liked — Price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Awesomenshvlguy
Portland, OR
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I had called this hotel July 21st to make a reservation for our Labor Day weekend stay, and the reservation went pretty smoothly...

However, when I showed up to check in with my party and my luggage on the day of our reservation, they had no record of my reservation. They had managed to completely lose my name, my confirmation number, and any record of my phone call EXCEPT for my credit card number! They did have that recorded - UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME AND A DIFFERENT RESERVATION DATE! How this happened, I have really no idea, but the idea of them taking my credit card information is very frightening. That was the one piece of information they did manage to hang onto after mysteriously losing all of my contact information as well as my confirmation number!

Well after telling me all this, of course they didn't have another room for me, since they were fully booked. They left us hanging on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend in downtown Seattle with no place to stay.

I called today, after returning from my trip, and spoke to a manager to file a complaint. She was absolutely no help to me, and just said over and over "wow, I don't know how that happened". She did not offer me any sort of compensation for the expensive hotel we finally found while searching around Seattle after they refused us a room. Needless to say, I am never going there again, and I would advise future Seattle travelers to stay away - and DO NOT give them your credit card information!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lost my reservation and gave my credit card number to someone else!
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank SarahSueNW
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My wife and I decided to take a vacation to Seattle. Apparently, the entire population of North America had the same idea. The closest I could get to downtown was this SpringHill Suites. I wish we'd just chosen another city or another time.
The "suite" was small, as with all such hotels of this sort, but was clean. As other reviewers have pointed out, there was some noise. The breakfast was excellent. The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were abominable--even the replacements we asked them to give us. Free internet access was nice.
Our main problem--it was a half- to three-quarter mile walk to any really decent restaurant. And the walk led through a questionable neighborhood. I was negatively impressed by the location, and would not stay here again.
Oh, yes. We had a car (parked at $20 per night), but parking in downtown Seattle is a proble,, and quite expensive.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Poinciana, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Booked this hotel through SeattleSupersaver website for one night before a cruise. It was great! We got a $139 weekend rate which was lower than any other decent downtown hotel. It was a little further out than most hotels but was not a bad walk, even to the Pike Place Market. The hotel was very clean and well-kept and the staff was quite helpful and friendly. The bed was comfy. There is even a washer and drier, which we used due to something spilling in our suitcase. There is nothing to eat really close but a nice mall with restaraunts 10 or so blocks away. i would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — a little far from central downtown
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank H2Odivr
US
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This hotel was a good value. When we arrived we were booked on one of top floors, on the I-5 side of hotel. This room seemed too noisy for us, so we asked for and received a room change to a west side room. This was less noisy. This hotel is on busy streets and very near a highway, so it isn't the most quiet hotel. Still the west side room was fine and we slept well.
The beds and linens were very comfortable. I wish the pillows were a bit firmer, but they were fine. Neutrogena body products were nice.
Free wireless access, and a nice business center for printing, etc., also free. Access to nice gym across the street.
The breakfast was great. There was fruit, waffles, oatmeal and other cereals, sausage, bacon and eggs, and the standard continental breakfast breads. Nice coffee and juice.
I really appreciated the location. It is a doable walk both to Seattle Center and downtown. We had a car ( 20$ parking), and it was a breeze to get on highway and get to farther places. Seattle has a great bus system, too.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank timidtravelerUs
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Location: Hotel is somewhat far from the actual downtown area. It is situated near the I-5 and REI. If you have a car, you can get to Pike Place Market, Seattle Aquarium, Argosys cruise, the Space Needle & other points of interests downtown in 5-7 mins. If you'd rather walk, then it's a good 20-25 mins.

Suite: Rooms were spacious with two TVs and a separate sit-in area w/ microwave & fridge (always a plus in my family!!!). Beds were very comfortable. My husband had a restful sleep!

Food: Delicious hot breakfast buffet, which was plentiful & fabulous! Loved the waffles w/ peach fruit topping! Only drawback was the dining area was crowded, overflow crowds had to sit in the lounge area. Check out the Crab Pot at Pike Place - long wait but the seafood was worth it!

There's a Starbucks and Subway fast food place across the street. A 24-hr. Fitness gym across the street as well.

Front desk staff very helpful. Only drawback was we asked for wake-up call and no one woke us up.

Pool (although small) was relaxing late at night.

Transportation: Around Seattle, we parked our car across the street from Ivar's at Pike Place Market for all day parking ($25). Convenient buses everywhere. Took the bus to get to Space Needle, Seattle Center, and the monorail to downtown's shopping district. Only walked 2-3 blocks to get to PPM.

Purchased the Seattle GoCard for added savings on attractions for family.

Overall, next time we're in Seattle will definitely stay at Springhill Suites Marriott downtown!

• Disliked — Location somewhat far from dowtown area
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family