SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #62 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Big rooms, good location and good service. The hop on hop of also has a stop right in front of the hotel. Nice pool too. Good breakfast and friendly atmosphere......

Did I have 200 characters already?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erkki L

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I booked into this property for a weekend. Hotel is clean and staff friendly. We had a one-bedroom suite which was a comfortable size. We like the free shuttle service to the Space Needle and also to the shopping district. As we were there in July, and not rainy, we walked to Pike's Market which is only about 20 mins away. The free breakfast was great and the on location laundry room was convenient. We would recommend this property if you are looking for a no frills, conveniently located hotel in downtown Seattle.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melong88
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The positives: The staff was friendly and competent, and the operations went smoothly. The breakfast was more than adequate and pleasant. The hot tub was great for achy muscles after long days climbing those steep Seattle hills. The shuttle van was prompt.

The negatives:

This hotel does not have suites. It has slightly larger than average rooms with kitchenettes, a full-size couch, and a wing wall that partially separates the couch/kitchen "living area" and the bed area. The vanity area is also open to the main room; only the toilet and tub are separated by a door. Doubtless there is no enforceable definition of "suite," but to me this is a serious misrepresentation. I booked in a suite hotel because my husband and I keep different hours and it's really nice to be able to completely separate the bedroom--by a door!

This hotel is not in downtown Seattle, except in the sense of being generally in the central area of the city. It's not in South Lake Union, either, although that's less inaccurate. Again, to me this is a serious misrepresentation. (The existence of the shuttle van is basically an admission that the hotel isn't downtown--the van takes you to downtown!)

The SpringHill Suites Downtown/Lake Union is actually in a corner of the so-called "Denny Triangle" neighborhood--hard up against the ten roaring lanes of I-5, sharing a triangular block with social services agencies. Yale Avenue in front of the hotel is a freeway access point--which can be convenient if you're heading south on I-5, but also means backed-up traffic (difficult access to the hotel) in peak periods. The building's cheap construction doesn't block the freeway noise effectively. Many rooms' primary view is of the freeway, and no room escapes the freeway noise, which goes 24/7.

We used the shuttle van a couple of times. It was prompt. But the service is limited (once an hour to the Space Needle, once an hour to downtown) and you have to sign up in advance, reducing its utility considerable. The valet parking service (which is obligatory if you bring a car) functioned well.

The hotel's interiors are clean and modern. But one has the impression that this hotel is being used to vet potential finishes for the entire SpringHill chain -- it has dozens of different kinds of wallpapers, carpets, tiles, light fixtures, "art" efforts, and so forth, most of which are okay in and of themselves, but almost all of which clash with each other.

In summary, while this hotel isn't actively bad, it isn't very good either. It's just not hard to do better in Seattle. For a competitive price, you actually can have a suite. And be in downtown. And still have a decent breakfast, good staff, and a hot tub. And you can most likely find one where freeway noise isn't an issue.

Room Tip: One group of rooms (odd numbers -01 through about -07) face away from the freeway and have great Spa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Skidrowe3
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Great location, awesome view, Valet Parking. However, the "Queen Suite" is actually a Junior suite with a half wall between the sofa and a queen bed. 1 T.V. is placed, rather awkwardly against the wall where the partition is. The second queen bed near the window has no direct sight line for the T.V. I have stayed at several Springhill Suites in the past, this one was absolutely disappointing! In addition the vent above the bathroom door was COVERED in dust, so much so that the dust was blowing onto the bed across, that was right next to the window. It was terrible, we had to call the front desk twice before someone came to clean the vent. Additionally the toilet had a backing up problem and maintenance was also called for that.
Breakfast was not bad, but it did not have a waffle machine as is typical to most Springhill Suites, that was disappointing to the kids. The staff from the front desk (Man with awesome mustache) was quite helpful and friendly. The pool was small but a nice temperature and the kids enjoyed it.
Nice, easy walk to the Crab pot, which should not be missed if you are in Seattle!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank juststrange
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great location, loved the free shuttle buses, friendly staff. Breakfast was very good as well. We loved how on the weekend, we had until 10:30 to eat! Rooms are spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. Pool was great as well.

Room Tip: There were three of us and we only had one bed plus the hide-a-bed. Would have preferred two beds so...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joanne S
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We came in on a very busy weekend and hotel was sold out and busy. Staff was friendly, helpful and prompt. In fact, when we went downstairs to get something from the car, two of the valets, at different times, asked if they could help us and basically what were we doing down there. I felt my car was well protected.

Very clean rooms, lobby and breakfast room. Great, full breakfast rather than a carb packed continental. Coffee in the lobby 24/7. Very comfortable bed and quiet rooms. We were right across from the elevator, I never heard sound.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank TrvlTheWorld2
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My Mom and I stayed at the SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union for one night in June 2013. We arrived at the hotel early that day and was able to check in. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with sightseeing information. The double room was very clean and spacious. We were able to take the hotel shuttle to the Space Needle. Unfortunately, the shuttle only runs every half hour to the Space Needle and Westlake Mall, no other destinations downtown. The driver was very nice. After leaving the Space Needle, we took the Monorail over to Westlake Mall and walked to the Public Market. The hotel is close to downtown attractions. We decided to walk back to the hotel from the Market. I called the hotel to make certain I was going in the right direction since my battery was getting low and my gps would be lost by the time I got there. Whoever answered my call at the time wasn't too familiar with the local streets to tell me if I was close to the hotel. I would recommend that the front desk staff be able to tell their guests how to get to the hotel on foot especially when guests are visiting and not familiar with the streets. They should be able to say, go North, South, etc. on this street, or know the order of the streets prior to arriving at the hotel.

The room was very quiet; didn't hear any noise from the hallway. The next morning, we enjoyed the free continental breakfast. You can make your own waffles, which is always a plus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family