“Are Four Seasons Dropping their standards for some reason? Brace yourself before reading the desert menu!”

Four Seasons Hotel Seattle
Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have stayed in many Four Seasons hotels because we associate the brand with consistency in the quality of their properties and service. You usually feel safe and secure. If there is a problem you always come away feeling that it has been met to your satisfaction. You are never let down at a Four Seasons.
Not so in Seattle where clearly something has gone wrong.
First, the property itself. It seems that they have moved the hotel from a property which is now the Fairmont. They should have stayed there. It is a much better area than where they are now right in the centre of things, beside Pike Place market. Also the former building is the kind of landmark building you would expect the four Seasons to be in. We had a streetview room and the soundproofing was terrible. So we had great difficulty getting a full nights sleep with the trafic and also the noise of the revellers outside. The swimming pool is tiny and really not of any use with more than ten prople using it. (Compare with the Miami property)
It had been over ten years since I last visited Seattle and clearly there is a crime problem. During our 4 days I saw 3 drug deals being done within a few blocks of the hotel in mid afternoon. Also we were there for the "Hemp Festival" and that night walking back to the hotel after dinner we had to negotiate through an obstacle course of spaced out individuals falling over and wandering into our path. Our children were very afraid of all this. There was no police presence that we could see. We expected that perhaps the hotel would have some security to deal with all this. When we arrived at the hotel at about 10:00PM there was absolutely no one at the door monitoring those coming in or out. No visible security presence. Also unlike other 4 Seasons, anyone without a room key could gain access to the bedroom floors without being challenged either by having to insert the Key to activate the elevator or personally. The only challenge might be the friendly nod from the one person behind reception.

The Room was fine but did not have the normal luxury you would associate with Four Seasons. The night we arrived after a long drive I called room service to get a pot of tea for two. There was no answer from room service. I waited a few minutes and called again. Still, no answer.
I then called the front desk and asked them to relay an order for tea to the room service and I was told that a pot of tea would take 30 minutes at a minimum. I'm glad I was not ordering anything more than a drink that involves merely pouring boiling water over some tea leaves. Shortly after I recieved a call from room Service asking did I want to place the order (clearly the front desk did not place the order but just told room service to call me back). When I repeated the order, I was told it would only take 15 minutes and that reception should not have mentioned the 30 minutes as they don't know what they are talking about. - The tea arrived 25 minutes later which was near enough to 30 minutes after I originally tried to place an order.

There was no information book in the room about the services. There was a loose leaf room service menu and a menu for the spa. We also later found a leaflet about the wi fi hidden in a drawer. However, no sign of any book with all the information together in one place about the hotel and its services.

Ther was no lock on the toilet door so there was no privacy there.

The most extraordinary part of our experience was a meal we had on the last night of the stay. Because our children were nervous (as were we) about walking the streets near the hotel at night we decided to have a meal in the onsite restaurant ART. I must say, this was a beautiful meal from the beginning and the food and service were superb. However we were shocked by the Desert Menu. One of the menu items (an ice cream flavour) was called "Irish Carbomb"
Clearly it is in the utmost of bad taste to name anything after such a destructive device which is used in killings every day all over the world. As an Irish person it was doubly insulting and repugnant to name it so when it refers to something which is such a terrible memory for many Irish and UK people. Hundreds of Irish and English citizens were killed by these devices during the troubles in northern Ireland and for a Four Seasons restaurant to try and be clever and use this name is certainly not becoming of the Four Seasons brand.
We did not complain to our waitress because she was excellent and it was clearly not her fault. I complained to the assistant manager on duty and in fairness I think he was shocked and agreed that it should not been on the menu. He was totally unaware of the menu item. He said he would look into it. We have heard no more since.No written explanation, apology from the hotel management other than the immediate apology from the man i complained to - nothing.
This is not what I expect from the Four Seasons Brand.

The day we had dinner in Art, there were 8 people killed in a carbomb in Turkey.

2  Thank carriglea
IHarley, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay.
I am terribly disappointed that your stay was not a good one.
First and foremost, I want to apologize for offending you with the name of the ice cream. Our team named the ice cream after the classic cocktail of the same name. All three ingredients of the cocktail are found in the ice cream. It would never be our intention to offend a guest and I am saddened to learn that was the case in this instance. More importantly, I apologize that we did not follow up with you adequately and inform you that we changed the menu.
I am disappointed to learn that you were not fond of the location. Many of our guests find the proximity to Pikes Place Market an extreme advantage. Your concerns about safety in the city are important ones and I will raise them with our local authorities.
I would truly welcome the opportunity to speak with you by telephone about your other service experiences.
I can be reached at your convenience on my direct line at 206-749-7001.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The rooms at the Four Seasons Seattle are lovely with great views of the bay. We also
experienced excellent service. It's the main reason I stay at Four Seasons hotels. This Four Seasons has a wonderful view of the bay and the ferris wheel. Our grandchildren spent
ages looking out the windows at the passing of ships.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the large regular rooms overlooking the bay and ferris wheel. Loved the corner room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IHarley, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words about our service.
Isnt the view of Elliot Bay breathtaking? I too love watching the Ferry Boats cross the sound-so beautiful! We are also enjoying our latest attraction-the Ferris Wheel!
Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

A little expensive but worth it for location and rooftop pool if nothing else.

The rooms are simple and elegsnt with perfect beds and linens.

The staff are extraordinary And very helpful with leaving the car late for no charge, an early check in , late check out, bags forgotten etc.

Will return

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Our stay at the Four Seasons was brilliant - we've been to two FS hotels already (Buenos Aires and Florence), and although this hotel was of a more modern style than the others (especially Florence), it was every bit as good in service and comfort as always. The pool in particular was gorgeous, with amazing views and lovely staff (who were always exceedingly helpful and welcoming). The concierge wrapped a package for us, which took a long time as it was a big package, and didn't charge us at all for it. The ONLY let down was that our bags were not taken up to us for a few hours after we arrived. Apart from that, the views were stunning, the rooms spacious and stylish - we even had a built-in TV in the bathroom mirror! - the breakfasts delicious, the staff always extra-helpful...a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We were on the highest floor (floor 10), which probably has the best views!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ans H
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we wos in four season hotel 5 nights we liked one of ythe best places ever,evrything about this hotel its perfect..:)i like seattle market place its amazing good shoping,good restaurant,i wos really ompresioned whith my room,perfect service,all staff from the begining to the end.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Everything was just perfect. All staff from front door, to front desk, concierge and housekeeping was really friendly and helpful. The room was big and really comfortable. We had a corner room which was really quiet.
The hotel is located just next to the pike market place, which is a great place to have a little snack and enjoying the scene. We had our breakfast in the hotel, where you have the choice for buffet and à la carte and it was delicious. We also had a drink in the bar, which has as the dining room a great view to the sea.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHarley, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments about your stay. I will happily share with the team that you felt the entire staff was friendly and helpful-exactly what we strive for!
I hope to welcome you back soon to the Emerald City and Four Seasons Hotel Seattle.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I recently stayed in connecting rooms 909&910. This was our first time in a FS, as we usually stay in a more wallet-friendly hotel. I decided to splash out for the FS because of the location. Wow! I was really impressed with the room, bathroom, service, location, and room service. The room is spacious, spotless, and Pacific Northwest luxurious. Nothing gilded in this hotel, but lots of clean, crisp decorating. I loved everything about this hotel. Plus, this location is super kid-friendly. Although on the smaller side, the pool area has a spectacular view. We had room service multiple times, and I would recommend the clam chowder and the Space Needle sundae, for the kids. Just order it, trust me. We will definitely consider the FS on our next vacation.

Room Tip: 909 & 910 are great for families because 910 is a corner room with two outside walls, one wall s...