“This is a good place to stay!”
Review of Baroness Hotel

Baroness Hotel
Ranked #77 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel has had a lot of bad reviews. I read them all before I went, but had to stay here anyway due to availability and booking late. However, my fears were completely unfounded. This is a very pleasant place to stay and very conveniently located for site-seeing in Seattle.

The room was extremely clean and spacious and the bed very large and comfortable. Room service was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. The only downside was that because it was an old building it did get very hot (although we were on the fourth floor and it was the middle of a heatwave in the height of summer). Also, the kitchen was not as well equipped as we had thought it would be, missing basics like salt and pepper and tea-towels. The hob was just four iron rings rather than an actual hob, but it worked fine.

I had been very worried about the 'funny smell' that people had talked about, but there was no trace of this when we went to stay. The rooms smelled fresh and pleasant with attractive vintage decor. Free wifi was great.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors may be less hot. The king and queen suites cost the same, but the king is bigg...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Abigail E
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Hi Abigail - Thank you for your comments! We know that older hotels like the Baroness are not for everyone but the majority of our guests are very happy with the service they receive and the price of our rooms. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you again when your travels bring you back to Seattle!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

A good place to stay if you're more concerned about money than you are any kind of quality. shabby unkeep, the elevator didn't work so we had to go up four flights of stairs carrying luggage no offer to help and I felt less concerned walking the docks Seattle after dark then I was from some of the patrons renting a hotel room. 9 a.m. There were 4 people sitting in the lobby drinking beer isn't that special I wouldn't go back there even if I had to cancel a trip to Seattle you may save money. But this is a true example of you get what you pay for and even less

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Capt_Zoom00
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Good Morning Captain Zoom. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Baroness Hotel. Yes, a full hotel and an out-of-order elevator are a recipe for disaster. We apologize for the long trek up the stairs to your room. I'm not quite sure what your other issues were during your stay or how you chose us for your Seattle visit but good luck on your future travels.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel is across from Virginia Mason and just blocks from downtown. Historic building and vintage lobby furniture. Front desk staff are very helpful. Computers available in lobby and can print boarding passes. Rooms are basic but no air conditioning. Room service is very inexpensive and reasonable quality. Try and get the upper floors. Do not rent the suites with the hide a bed couch if you plan on using it as a bed as it's uncomfortable. I have stayed at the Baroness twice...once for medical and once for vacation. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank AlaskanNurse

Good morning and thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Baroness Hotel. We appreciate the feedback and wanted to share that we do have some renovations planned for later this year (new drapes, hallway carpet and lighting). The majority of our guests are here for medical related stays and we are committed to keeping the prices as low as possible. We hope to welcome you back when your travels bring you to Seattle again. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I actually liked this hotel and its vintage decor. The elevator has a door that you have to open for access and you are issued real keys! No, it's not the Crown Plaza, but then again you're also not paying Crown Plaza prices. Directly across the street from Virginia Mason Medical Center so it was very convenient for our meetings there.

The room was spacious and clean. I had a corner room with a nice big closet, small table & chairs and full kitchen, including stove, sink, mini fridge, etc., don't know if they're all like that. The bathroom was extremely small but clean.

Some of the basics that are missing are air conditioning, iron and hair dryer. But there was a fan in my room which was sufficient for the time of year and I imagine you could get a hair dryer and iron if you asked. I just didn't have the need.

Overall, I liked the place and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank cleemich1
Reviewed September 17, 2012

First I must say that you should not expect 5 star accommodations at 2 star prices. That being said, the Baroness is a lot of value for the price. If older hotels with iffy ventilation are not your thing, you might want to try something else. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms do have a lot of conveniences but just as some other reviewers mentioned, it smells a bit musty. I think this property has tremendous potential. With a little remodel and modern ventilation this could be a winner. In the mean time, if you're looking for a bargain right across the street from Virginia Mason Hospital, you might give it a try.

Room Tip: A room facing the hospital might be slightly more peaceful than one facing toward Madison.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Kenny S
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It's really robbery what they charge per night for this place! I stayed here for a few nights while I was visiting family in the Virginia Mason hospital across the street. From the moment I walked into the room the place smelled like a cat peed all over the floor! I went to open the windows after gagging and discovered there are no screens so flies flew in! Now I had a cat pee and fly infested room, fantastic. There is NO air conditioning either, but they do provide fans. Honestly they really don't do much since the rooms smell and are always hot.

The Virginia Inn across the street attached to the hospital is cleaner and has air conditioning and still has that vintage feel, if that's what you are looking for.

They also only clean the rooms once or twice a week, sick! My room was never cleaned once while I was there, and when I went down to complain I was basically told too bad that's the schedule they have. I then said I don't have any clean towels or toilet paper, so they brought those items up. There are creepy drug addicts hanging out in the halls and one lady tried following me into my room. The rooms have "kitchens" I would honestly be scared to turn on the stove it's SO old! You can smell people cooking from down the hall and all of that mixed together made me throw up one night it smelled so bad.

The beds are old and so are the mattresses, they also still use dusty old bedspreads. This place is highly unsanitary.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!! For $120 a night stay somewhere much much nicer!!

Oh and my aunt and cousin got food poisoning from the room service, so avoid that too!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jmalter7
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel is in an older building with the rooms being set up for a longer-term stay; as per the hospital being across the street. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. Complimentary body care items were great (citrus scented) and having a fridge in the room was great for keeping items in there. Its close (easy walking) to the movie theaters, shopping and food. The parking behind the hotel is a pay-meter parking.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the stairs and elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple