“OK, but not more”

and 1 more site!
Eighth Avenue Inn
Ranked #97 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed September 1, 2008

This hotel is within convenient waking distance to Downtown Seattle (about 10 minutes from the Hotel which itself is in a not very attractive area, but if you're on a budget, you might find that not too bad). There are also some nice coffee shops and a Whole Foods market right around the corner (on Westlake).

But DO NOT expect spectacular Skyline views or any great atmosphere out here. There might be some intresting views from the rooms with a patio but even then it's mainly huge parking-area-car-dealership-atmosphere in the surrounding blocks, despite some trees). We never felt anything close to unsafe, though.

This place is ok to have some sleep and a shower and then hang out in the city most of the time, not more. The official website photos tell you - as in most spaces - not the whole story.

We stayed there three nights (1st floor, usually very noisy from staff working and people outside by the parking spots; room 105 is facing the laundry which is a big noise source) and then one night on the 2nd floor a week later, this time on the back side which was somewhat more quiet. You could, however, always clearly hear noises from rooms around ours. So, take earplugs with you.

The rooms are OK at first sight (not more, let's say there are slightly under the level of usual 60$-motel averages in rural areas and clearly under newer chain motels), but they definitely would need some touch up or lower pricing. There are no terrible "holes", I guess, but it's all far from super-comfy.

Bathrooms are OK, but you'd expect more quality and space for the price. Some mold on the ceiling, not too much though. One leaking water tap, water flowing down the shower drain only very slowly, toilets OK. The beds are OK. It just all has that 70s-style-look-and-feel somehow. A/C in one of the rooms looked messy (dust, missing switches). Some not-so-hidden spots in the room haven't been vacuumed in weeks. No big eye on details in this facility!

The TVs didn't work properly in either rooms - a channel listing with 99 stations isn't worth anything if there are only five snow-stormy channels available. During the first stay we asked three times to have it fixed - the last night, there was a note from the maintenance guy "I replaced the TV, seems to work better, sorry for the inconvenience" - OK, that is charming, but I'd expect more. And even after the "fixing" channel reception was awful. And any technician should see that the loose TV cable wire needed to be fixed, not the TV set. Staff besides that was average friendly, not more, but no problems here.

Wireless reception was poor in both rooms (lots of outages), and it's a slow network.

Bottom line: I guess there are better places for that price. We gave them a second chance since prices dropped after labour day, but no positive surprises unfortunately. Average to below average place, just conveniently located, that's it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Eighth Avenue Inn

Reviewed August 26, 2008

Our stay at this hotel was above average until we woke up eaten up the next morning! Dozens of bedbug bites all over our bodies! The worst part is that now that we're back home, we have to make sure our house doesn't get infested with bedbugs. What a way to end a vacation.....

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2008

OK, it wasn't the best, but it was cheap. You get what you pay for, but it was central enough, nice breakfast, friendly staff...

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank TADofTX
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Our first room was still dirty from the previous guests, so they rudely (as if it were my fault the room wasn't ready) moved us to another room. There was literally 3 inches between the bed and the wall to the bathroom, you had to jump the bed to get there! They charged me $180 for one night! The rooms were disgusting, dirty, stinky, and there was mold in the bathroom. There was nothing extra, even though for the price you would think there would be a pool or something...nope nothing, in fact there was NOTHING to do after 5 pm with kids near this dump. The staff was rude, the management was even ruder. I will never return to this garbage hole.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was travelling to Seattle with my girlfriend for her birthday as a surprise...... little did i know that the surprise was on me when i got to my reserved motel through hotel hotline dot com. When i arrived immediately the seediness was visible from the outside. I was charged $140 us for a room i didn't even stay in. When i approached the front counter and asked for my money back, the staff said that i had to contact the site i had booked my room with in order to get a refund. So I did. The site had an answering service which i had left a message with and it took then 2 days for them to get back to me. At the time i was at the hotel i was assured by the front counter staff that i shouldn't have a problem getting my money back. So we moved on to the Roosvelt, paying double but worth it compared to what we saw with the eighth ave inn. When the website got back to me regarding my refund, they said that they require 24 hours notice for cancellation or i am subject to a charge for the 1st nights stay. Well since i was there only for 1 night i got nothing! Beware of this site and this hotel the advertising was false and the rates are way too much for what you get. Even after reading the reviews on this website i found out people paid a lot less than what i did for a room that they did stay in. This whole event left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel ripped off and unfortunately due to legalities there is nothing i can do.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2008

It's sad that the old adage, "You get what you paid for" is true. The positives were: the rooms were nice; beds were comfy; breakfast was good. The location was also great for the Experience Music Project, Science Fiction Museum and the Space Needle ... we walked there even in the rain!!! A big negative is that the four times we talked to the reception staff about directions, checking in and routine traveling questions, all times they were completely uninterested. We felt that we were a burden to them when enjoying their day sitting down doing nothing. It would've required such little effort on their part to be polite and friendly by smiling, standing up and even coming to the counter instead of talking to me behind a wall. When I asked for my fax, they stayed in the office behind the wall, but I am pleased they gave me my fax instead of asking for me to come to them. I guess this is the service I should expect when a name was not on the "Manager On Duty" plaque. I would only recommend this hotel if they got rid of their current reception staff and replaced them with college students who took an ounce in their job.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This was a GREAT place to stay! It may be an older hotel, but it was extremely clean and comfortable...my bed was awesome, better than I've had at way more expensive hotels. Staff was very professional and courteous; I had booked a room with a single bed, he upgraded us to double beds for the same low price. Our room had all the smaller appliances, iron and board, coffee maker, blowdryer, etc., plus a microwave and a nice size refrigerator...convenient for longer stays. Sure the bathrooms could use a little updating but they were still clean and it is an older hotel so don't go expecting the newest version of the Ritz. Do expect to be comfortable and treated well...the free breakfast was more than I've seen in some places, the lady staffing that area was excellent, and it all added to the value of the hotel. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Allie64
jmannSeattle, Director of Revenue Management at Eighth Avenue Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response about your experience here in Seattle. We recently updated our mattresses and box springs so it's good to know that they are comfortable. I shared your comments with the front desk staff and they were appreciative. It's great to know that the housekeepers are doing a good job keeping the rooms tidy and clean. I'm glad you enjoyed the deluxe Continental breakfast which is offered to all of our guests. Thank you again for your comments, they help us to continually improve and maintain the quality service that we know our guests deserve and require.