“Hotel or Motel?”

Ranked #97 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
vancouver bc
“Hotel or Motel?”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was travelling to Seattle with my girlfriend for her birthday as a surprise...... little did i know that the surprise was on me when i got to my reserved motel through hotel hotline dot com. When i arrived immediately the seediness was visible from the outside. I was charged $140 us for a room i didn't even stay in. When i approached the front counter and asked for my money back, the staff said that i had to contact the site i had booked my room with in order to get a refund. So I did. The site had an answering service which i had left a message with and it took then 2 days for them to get back to me. At the time i was at the hotel i was assured by the front counter staff that i shouldn't have a problem getting my money back. So we moved on to the Roosvelt, paying double but worth it compared to what we saw with the eighth ave inn. When the website got back to me regarding my refund, they said that they require 24 hours notice for cancellation or i am subject to a charge for the 1st nights stay. Well since i was there only for 1 night i got nothing! Beware of this site and this hotel the advertising was false and the rates are way too much for what you get. Even after reading the reviews on this website i found out people paid a lot less than what i did for a room that they did stay in. This whole event left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel ripped off and unfortunately due to legalities there is nothing i can do.

• Liked — I wouldn't know I didn't even stay in the room
  • Disliked — everything about the service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed June 4, 2008

It's sad that the old adage, "You get what you paid for" is true. The positives were: the rooms were nice; beds were comfy; breakfast was good. The location was also great for the Experience Music Project, Science Fiction Museum and the Space Needle ... we walked there even in the rain!!! A big negative is that the four times we talked to the reception staff about directions, checking in and routine traveling questions, all times they were completely uninterested. We felt that we were a burden to them when enjoying their day sitting down doing nothing. It would've required such little effort on their part to be polite and friendly by smiling, standing up and even coming to the counter instead of talking to me behind a wall. When I asked for my fax, they stayed in the office behind the wall, but I am pleased they gave me my fax instead of asking for me to come to them. I guess this is the service I should expect when a name was not on the "Manager On Duty" plaque. I would only recommend this hotel if they got rid of their current reception staff and replaced them with college students who took an ounce in their job.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Idaho
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This was a GREAT place to stay! It may be an older hotel, but it was extremely clean and comfortable...my bed was awesome, better than I've had at way more expensive hotels. Staff was very professional and courteous; I had booked a room with a single bed, he upgraded us to double beds for the same low price. Our room had all the smaller appliances, iron and board, coffee maker, blowdryer, etc., plus a microwave and a nice size refrigerator...convenient for longer stays. Sure the bathrooms could use a little updating but they were still clean and it is an older hotel so don't go expecting the newest version of the Ritz. Do expect to be comfortable and treated well...the free breakfast was more than I've seen in some places, the lady staffing that area was excellent, and it all added to the value of the hotel. Definitely would stay there again.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — The shower head
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Allie64
jmannSeattle, Director of Revenue Management at Eighth Avenue Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to leave a response about your experience here in Seattle. We recently updated our mattresses and box springs so it's good to know that they are comfortable. I shared your comments with the front desk staff and they were appreciative. It's great to know that the housekeepers are doing a good job keeping the rooms tidy and clean. I'm glad you enjoyed the deluxe Continental breakfast which is offered to all of our guests. Thank you again for your comments, they help us to continually improve and maintain the quality service that we know our guests deserve and require.
USA
Reviewed February 29, 2008

For the price, this is a great motel near the downtown area. Yes, the lobby looks outdated, there are some dents in the furniture, the elevator looks like it hasn't been serviced since 1960 and you can hear some noise in the hallway at night. But, it's also walking distance from downtown, the rooms are clean, the linens are bleached, the beds are comfy, the showers are hot, and the doors have locks. Personally, I couldn't ask for more. I'll definitely be coming back.

• Liked — Price, decently clean rooms, super hot shower, great character.
  • Disliked — The great character.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank mipley
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Staying in this hotel makes you feel like you're up in one of the fleabag, by-the-hour places up on Aurora in Seattle. Avoid it if you can.

I, unfortunately, couldn't. I booked through Hotwire for the first time, trusting their website when it said that 2 star hotels were quality brand names like Best Western, La Quinta and Days Inn. All three chains have hotels in the same three blocks, so I assumed it'd be one of these or maybe the Holiday Inn Express. But no, the result was that I was locked into the Eighth Avenue Inn -- not a quality brand name or even a "quality independent hotel," as Hotwire told me they carried in their response to my message requesting to be let out of the reservation due to false advertising.

Okay, so, grudge against Hotwire aside. (But I do have to say -- book through Priceline -- I stay in Seattle / Bellevue every week and I've never had trouble with Priceline as they do carry brand names.)

The good (I'm stretching to find it...):

- The sheets appeared clean.
- The towels appeared clean and relatively fluffy.
- The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water.
- Supposedly the hotel had free wi-fi (although I didn't want to sit on one of their chairs long enough to find out -- see below -- so I never tried it).
- The tile grout in the shower couldn't mildew because there was no tile and no grout (they'd covered it with cheap plastic).
- Parking was free.

The bad:
- Everything else in the hotel was torn, stained, beaten. Both chairs in my room had stains and rips. The carpet was waterstained and had other stains all over it. Basically I didn't want bare skin to touch anything in the room, so I was very careful to make sure it didn't.
- The walls were really thin, so I could hear the TV and couple next door until 1 a.m., and the guy upstairs doing jumping jacks (or who knows what) at 5:50 a.m.
- The elevator was upholstered all around with torn grey carpet, and hadn't been renovated since the 50s (and there were more modern elevators in the 50s).
- The motel backs up on a 24-hour restaurant. There aren't many of these in Seattle, and so you can imagine who they attract at 4 a.m. and how likely they are to yell, scream and get in fights right outside your window.
- I had to wear earplugs to sleep. Without earplugs I wouldn't have slept.

The basics are clean, so the hotel has its place for those in their late teens / early twenties trying to save money (I've been there, somewhat recently, and can see it throught that lens). But for anyone else, just the appearance of the place will make you question your self-respect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Stains on everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We booked the Eight Ave Inn Hotel the day before we arrive in Seattle and wasn't expecting much. But it turned out to be a pretty good hotel/motel and also found it quite comfortable for the price we paid. We arrived 2hrs early and was still able to check in, the staff were nice, they were younge and helped with all our questions, like where the local bars were and the famous sights.

The hotel is a small two story hotel, and is in a slightly shady part of town, but walking distance to the Space Needle and also Belltown. It is also easy to walk to the markets and the downtown shops, but would take you around 15mins. The room we were in was on the bottom floor and was fine. There were two double beds, the heater was working which was a change from other hotels I have stayed in, the shower was good - a little too much pressure but I was able to get clean! There was parking on sight for $8 which was ok I guess.

The only problem I had were the shady people around the hotel at night and it sounded like someone was having some sort of buck party in the parking lot out the back, but they were no bother at all and just ignored us when we were walking home.

I would stay here again if I went back to Seattle with no hesitations.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Booked two rooms for ourselves and a couple of friends for a concert at key arena. Lobby is totally small and cheap looking. Staff looks like they are in high school. We got our key and took thier elevator to our room. Elevator jerked to a stop and was briefly stuck. I was freaked out. We went to tell the counter and they stated this was fairly normal.

We got to our room and found it small, with the elevator connected to the room. We asked to be move and were put in a room that was twice the size. The other room literally had the elevator in it.

The furniture was as cheap as it gets, filthy curtains and a pretty eighties feel to it. Dated, tasteless art. Old carpet with burns and ashes ground into it. The shower in the bathroom was tiny and had a door on it so small that a really heavy set person would be unable to get in. I swear it was a camper shower. No place to set soap or shampoo besides the floor.

Our friends room had TV problems and was smaller than ours with a horrible view of the skanky parking lot they share with a bar. Pretty seedy people on the next block. Ice machines were out of ice, making it hard to make a drink in our room.

Side staircase smells like hot urine and puke. The carpet is definately from the 70's and was a filthy huge print design coupled by dark woodgrain. We had to take pictures of it because it was so extraordinary.

Had people knocking on our door in the middle of the night looking for the obvious drugged out hooker fest going on across the hall. Had to call front desk as party kept spilling into the hall.

Thankfully we spent little time in our room. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — near key arena
  • Disliked — it's a dump
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple