“Both good and bad”

The Paramount Hotel
Ranked #3 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed June 11, 2005

I was more than pleased with my room, which was called a king suite I think. It had a marvelous bath (jacuzzi) tub and shower, nice bath products, comfortable bed and wonderful windows that opened all the way. It was also extremely clean. Really it was a great room and pretty reasonably priced for what I was getting. The TV was good, there was an interesting, decently priced minibar and a free paper, a good gym that was open 24 hours a day (which I love, I hate limited hours on recreation facilities, what if you can't sleep?) I kept thinking the whole time I was there that I was getting so much more that the guests at the Grand Hyatt for a much better price. They are across the street from each other.

I had room service for dinner and for breakfast, both provided by the adjoining Dragonfish restaurant (Asian Fusion). Dinner was terrific, huge and hot. I think I ordered some chicken dish with noodles and vegetables (I don't remember what it was called) and it came with a salad. I also had a fancy cocktail which was tasty. I'd been there (to the Dragonfish) before, it's a really fun place for drinks. The breakfast wasn't good at all, undercooked french toast and missing strawberries, would not order breakfast again. I found the food to be quite fairly priced for room service and it arrived quickly both times.

The lobby is very attractive also.

What I didn't like about this hotel is the staff. They are clueless and not that nice. The person checking me in (may have been his first night) was alright but not that friendly. The person checking me out made disparaging comments about the person that checked me in and kept answering the phone and helping other people when she wasn't done helping me. She was supposedly more experienced than the other front desk employees but seemed incabable of issuing me a credit for missing items (from room service). It must have taken me twenty+ minutes to check out and I was pretty much the only person needing assistance. There was another person there, he was much nicer but seemed to not be that savvy with the computers. There was also a dispute with the woman at the front desk about a complimentary bottle of champagne (it states in their in-room about hotel information book that it's included in the price when you get that particular room), she said that it was only for people getting a certain package but that isn't what their book says. I didn't really need the champagne but I really didn't like her attitude, like I was making it up or something. She is definitely not an assett for this hotel.

The main issue was getting my Coast rewards points for my stay, nobody seemed to know when they were to be awarded and the front desk lady didn't want to help me at all, she wanted me to call the 1-800 #, I think the other gentleman finally said that they would take care of it for me but I just checked and it wasn't done. I stayed there May 20th and it's now June 11th. So I did call their main Coast rewards # and that person said it should be fixed within 48 hours but she wasn't very nice either, making me not to keen to stay at a Coast hotel again. The server who brought my dinner was extremely nice and enhanced my positive experience but I think she worked for the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2005
21  Thank smonion
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Seattle
Reviewed March 1, 2005

At midnight the attendant could not find my reservation, even though I provided a confirmation number. He had me wait for an hour while he assisted other guests. He was very rude and would not let me use the phone to call other hotels for vacancies. Later the manager offered me a night in one of their associated hotels; another wild goose chase with unreturned calls and false promises. PLEASE don't give this awful chain your business!

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Richland, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2004

I booked an executive king room for the night of 10/29/04 through Expedia. With this request it was advertised that I would receive a room with a jetted tub, separate shower, city view/corner room, bath salts, etc. Instead I received an ordinary traditional room with none of the above mentioned amenities. For all this I pre-paid $209.97 (taxes and service fees included) which was the price for the executive king and was never refunded the difference from a standard room. In addition I found the man working at the front desk to be unprofessional. When we arrived he was giggling uncontrollably and did not actually give me a map of the city when he himself offered one. I found the whole experience disappointing. I stayed at this hotel to be close to the Paramont theater. I will never stay here again. If you are looking for the same location and great service and value stay at the Grand Hyatt across the street.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded April 13, 2005

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel through TripAdvisor. I have checked our records and you should have been placed in our excutive king room from the begining. I apologize for this human error. While I would have loved the opportunity to correct this the evening of your stay on October 29, 2004, with the information at hand now it would be my pleasure resolve this to your satisfaction. Thanks again for your feedback through TripAdvisor.

Regards,
Ken Sommer
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed October 11, 2004

We have stayed here a couple of times and have enjoyed it. The best place to stay if you are going to the Paramount Theatre! The Dragonfish has great food, and they have a LATE happy hour for the food and select drinks that can't be beat!

9  Thank gypsy camp
Reviewed October 4, 2004

For my first visit to Seattle I wanted to explore the downtown a bit and so I booked a couple of nights at the Paramount, based in part on reviews here. I was not particularly disappointed, nor was I blown away. It is on the edge of downtown, with parking lots and demolition going on across the street on one side and the Hyatt on the other. Still, the location isn't bad. My room was nice enough, but faced the Hyatt and so was a little dark with little natural light. The staff were helpful and friendly, and the services fine, although I was disappointed they have no gift shop to buy a magazine or other small items. Dragonfish restaurant attached is not run by the hotel but lets you sign charges to your room, and is a very good place, if a bit pricey.

All in all I would probably stay somewhere else next time, but wouldn't discourage anyone from selecting this place either.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
10  Thank Greg B
Sheboygan,Wi
Reviewed August 28, 2004

Booked trip thru travelocity. Hotel and service was excellent. Probably didn't have best room in house but was located in a nice location for me as I was traveling alone. Service was very good and staff was friendly and helpful

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, VA
Reviewed August 11, 2004

Great location. Near the action, but not on top of it. Rooms are average size. Beds were comfortable. Sink area is a bit tight, but so it goes. Nice lobby. Coffee in the morning. Easy access to everything. Thought it was a good value.

• Stayed: August 2004