“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
walnut creek, ca
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I was so excited to stay at the Gas Light Inn as I had tried to do my research. Our room was very clean, large and a llittle spartan. The gentlemen who run it I found to be very unfriendly - they seemed real burned out. The breakfast area was not well kept. Just plain disappointing.

Instead I would recommend the Chambered Nautilus which I loved!!

9 Thank mgmn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Francisco
Reviewed October 16, 2004

I have stayed at the Gaslight Inn twice now and enjoyed myself both times. I travel alone and I really like my privacy, but I also like the ambiance of staying in a B&B rather than a large hotel. So regarding this place, I actually like that the innkeeper and other guests leave me alone. Room 101 (reserved for solo travelers) is perfect because it's downstairs and away from everyone else. I always skip continental breakfasts because I like to eat a full breakfast and Seattle has some great restaurants, so I can't attest to how good this continental breakfast is. But if you like traveling alone and enjoy your privacy, I'd recommend reserving room 101. I think you'll like it.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank Momo_on_vacation
Reviewed November 30, 2003

We had booked reservations with one of the innkeepers, to get a call back from the other partner who left us a voicemail, telling us that our reservations were null and void due to the first innkeeper, not knowing the rules of accommodations for a holiday weekend. There was a verbal agreement the night before, that we would arrive after 6 before 8, and that we would stay 2 nights. The first innkeeper took our reservations, and confirmed it, and approved. The second innkeeper called and said we are supposed to stay a min. of 3 nights, and cannot arrive after 6, because they will be out. We called back, and got our first innkeeper, and he basically did not care what we had to say. He shrugged at the fact that he didn't know the rules. He didn't try to work things out, we were willing to spend the third night, if they would leave a key for us, but he didn't seem to care to want to negotiate. This is about the rudest service I've ever had with ANY hotel,motel, inns accommadations, usually, they try to help you out, esp. if it's their fault for not knowing the rules when they book.
Because he did not bother to care, we decided to go elsewhere. People should not be treated like this when you are pratically trying to shove money in their pockets. Another BnB down the road that I called, said that Gaslight is so popular, and have so many guests and businesses that they don't really care whether you stay or go. This should stop.
Don't go here!

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2003

The Gaslight offers consistent service and a hunting cabin-turned-chic feel. I've stayed here on many occassions, sometimes for extended periods, and return more for the predictability and convenient location than anything. It is immaculately clean and has a nice collection of glass art. The main house has stained glass window detail and beautiful woodwork. Beds are average, bathrooms are small, but the coffee and signature scones are perfect.

The Inn Keepers are brisk in demeanor and generally out of sight, but they really know Seattle. This is a great place for travelers who appreciate their privacy and value cleanliness.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2003

If you like a rude innkeeper, loud street noise and no air conditioning on an atypical hot day, this is the place for you. However, if you're like most travelers who want more for their money, stay in a hotel that offers you better amenities and a closer proximity to downtown Seattle.
This place is nothing special, although it has potential to be super if only the innkeeper would spend a little money to make the stay more pleasant. On a side note, after we left the b&b early due to above noted conditions, the innkeeper actually called and screamed at us on our voice mail!!!! So, buyer beware!

11 Thank DairyQueen
Reviewed March 26, 2003

I will stay here every time I visit Seattle! From exquisit woodwork to a beautiful garden area with a pool, this is the place to be! Great central location with easy access to anyplace worth visiting in Seattle! A room with a view of the city is well worth it!A big "thank you" to the owners who were absolutely wonderful hosts!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2002

Other than the rude demeanor of the innkeeper upon arrival and departure, and the horribly sqeeky bed (in the best room they had) that lead to our early departure, the b&b was nice. The pool was refreshing and the artwork eyecatching. Definately stay in the annex building as it includes parking. The "breakfast" (coffee, croissants, and fruit) would have been nicer had the table been big enough to accomodate the guests of the main house and annex building, as this b&b caters to numbers and does not anticipate the needs of its guests. We arrived late (but before the office closes...6 pm) due to crossings at the Canadian border and were not greeted with warm charm but rather cold instructions, even though we called to let them know where we were. Being a Seattle tradition and highly recommeded, we expected a higher level of service and were surprisingly disappointed. Unfortunately the people are what make a nice stay great when it's a b&b. Since there are so many, next time around we'll try a b&b with one house, a friendlier attitude and a hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2002