“"The true measure...”

Ranked #7 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Burnaby, Canada
“"The true measure...”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I’m not dolling out five stars to just any Inn or B&B. If the building is a beautifully maintained heritage home; if the décor is entirely appropriate to the building with perfect period furniture and accessories; if the ambience this creates is sophisticated and, at the same time, warm and welcoming; if the host is a soft spoken, friendly, encyclopedic, travel guide to the neighbourhood and the city; and if the croissants are oven-fresh and flawless then it’s worth four stars. The true measure of an “excellent” Inn is, how do they handle things when there’s been a “cock-up”? You know, when things have gone right off the rails, it’s nobody’s fault, just an accident. When we got to the Gaslight Inn there came a moment of horror, on the part of our host, when it was learned that our room for that night was double booked [the first such occurence in 30+ years of Innkeeping], and it was a Saturday, and it was a long weekend. In a trice our host found other accommodation [surely the last in the neighbourhood!] close by in a boutique hotel. Here’s the irony, I am, or was, the bourgeois boutique hotel person of the couple – she’s the B&B person – so I should have been disappointed to return to the Gaslight Inn for the second night of our stay in Seattle. Well I wasn’t. Comparing the two nights I MUCH preferred the B&B. It was five stars, excellent, and we’ll surely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Seattle for about the 6th time to visit our daughter who lives there. We have stayed in a variety of hotels and even shacked up at her apartment a few days, no more. When we come to Seattle we will be staying at the Gaslight Inn from now on. We stayed 4 nights and are wondering if we can come to an affordable agreement to just move in, we were not ready to leave. Very affordable, extremely pleasant and well appointed, Darren and Bennett were as friendly as it gets and extremely accomodating. My wife and I could not have asked for any better hosts. (We even forgot a pair of shoes and they gladly shipped them home to us in Wisconsin!)

Notice, you won't have what some consider a traditional B&B breakfast here, it is more of a Continental Breakfast, but it is ample and more than what I require each morning to get going. Coffee was very good for a B&B and the menu of items is widely varied.

The Gaslight is located almost at the top of Capitol Hill, for many the walk from downtown to the Gaslight, or even down the hill to downtown, is a bit much. However, the Rte.11 City Bus from downtown is a pleasant ride up the hill and the stop is less than a full block away. If you don't like public transport, taxi cabs are easy to find in the area, or downtown for the trip up the hill and typical rate for 4 of us was usually $15-$18 with tip. The Gaslight is located in a very safe, and trendy, area of Seattle, very little worry about safety or security. Many restraunts and wine bars within walking distance of the Inn.

We will not stay at another hotel, or Bed n Breakfast, in Seattle again. It is always the Gaslight Inn for us.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a bathroom in the room, however there are is at least one that does not, check when...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winslow82
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After staying at the Morgan State House in Albany and now at the Gaslight Inn in Seattle, I'm not sure I will be staying at large hotels while on vacation anymore.

Bennett has done a wonderful thing with the Gaslight--he has lovingly restored and preserved a historic house in the heart of Capitol Hill, yet managed to avoid any trace of stuffiness and pretension. From the moment our cab dropped us off at 10 p.m. and we found our keys waiting for us, we felt welcome and comfortable. Our suite (Room104) was large and had a gas fireplace (perfect for a chilly Seattle fall trip). The bed was extremely comfortable, as was all the furniture, and the art and other furnishings were tasteful.

Breakfast the next morning was generous, and Bennett and Darren were gracious hosts. We definitely had the feeling that we were staying in a home, rather than a soulless hotel. Yet nobody was overly intrusive and, once Bennett asked if we had some experience with Seattle and we answered that we did, we were left to our own devices. We were able to lounge by the downstairs fire and work for a while, to come and go as we pleased, and generally to feel like the staff was available if we needed anything at all, but in a discreet and unobtrusive manner. The other guests were lively and interesting, but similarly respectful of our privacy.

It's really sad that we're going to have to stay at Westin on our next trip into Seattle in a few short days. Our experience at the Gaslight is going to make it particularly intolerable to be in a typical mega-chain hotel, but perhaps the memory of the fireplace and Bennett and Darren's warm hospitality will power us through.

Room Tip: The room we had (104) faced 15th Avenue and was a little loud with the emergency vehicles going to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lassie K
london
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Our short stay in Seattle was definitely enhanced by this great b&b.
The house itself is beautiful outside. The interior decors is imposing. You are in a special place.
The owners have made an effort to display an interesting art collection.
Breakfast was lovely. We had a room at the top with a view towards Seattle skyline which was great at night time.
Its location is convenient for Pike market and other central places.
Other places of interest can be reached by car, bus or taxis. We walked almost everywhere. The only places we drove to were the locks, and Fremont.
There are quite a few restaurants nearby.
Also nearby is a local sports ground, great place in the evening, kids play soccer, others play bike polo or frisbee.
It's a great neighborhood and lovely house to go back to after a day sight seeing. Loved it!
NB: not all rooms have en-suite, the heated swimming pool was not available late September.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank emmabroad
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Could not have asked for a more welcoming and comfortable accommodation for my first visit to Seattle. Exceptional service and location is ideal. Very walkable to everything: sites, downtown, grocery near by. I felt completely safe as a woman traveling solo.
I was up and out early several mornings yet Bennett always found me to offer coffee "to go" well before breakfast was scheduled.
I needed to change rooms mid-week, which I knew upon booking. I was told not to worry about repacking, they would take care of everything, I left in the morning, and returned late afternoon to find my scattered belongings carefully transferred to a new room.
Above and beyond, a friend from home called the inn to request an errand on my behalf. I think Bennett enjoyed the challenge/gesture and kindly fulfilled the request.
Upon checking out, I left my luggage 'stored" in the lobby and spent time by the pool until it was time to leave for my flight, totally accommodating.
I hope to get back to Seattle before too long and without a doubt will stay at the Gaslight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank VTgirltravels11
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My first time at the Gaslight - could not have been better. Bennett is truly a terrific host. The Inn is beautifully appointed, the security could not have been better. My first stay there and will stay again every time I'm in Seattle. The location is also a plus - within walking distance and bus stop to downtown about a block away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First, Bennett the innkeeper, is an outstanding ambassador for Seattle and the Pacific NW. The Inn has fabulous turn-of the 20th century oak woodwork that is stunning. There are numerous antiques and very nice original pieces of stained glass. We stayed 3 days/2 nights in room #104, the original master bedroom and we found the accommodations excellent. The location is walk-able to Pike Place Market, it’s a good 20 minute walk, we were happy to burn some calories, but the #10 bus is not a minute walk to catch. Being in the Capitol Hill District there are plenty of good restaurants very near by that will definitely satisfy, I’ll strongly recommend Jamjuree if you like Thai. Also a 5 minute walk is a nice Safeway grocery store if you want wine, snacks or anything else. The Room was large and clean, the bed comfortable. There is a nice 2nd floor patio to have a glass of wine and take in the city skyline. The Inn provides a parking pass and we had no problem finding close by on street parking, that was one of my worries with Seattle. Lots of fresh fruit at breakfast long with good coffee, yogurt, croissant, sweet bread and cheeses. I would have better liked a grain roll but the fruits were fresh and plentiful. Bennett is a wealth of knowledge and very helpful with directions and suggestions on Seattle or day trips and beyond. The WiFi worked just fine and not much to complain about. There is AC in the Bathroom and it will cool off the whole suite. There is even a nice side street where you have an excellent view of the Space Needle. They have a pool at the Inn but we were too busy to enjoy it, it looked inviting and tropical. We would love to stay again, the location is perfect for our needs, really close to everything and there is plenty to do near by if you wish. Highly recommend the Gaslight Inn.

Room Tip: I expect all rooms are nice, we liked the extra space after several days of travel, and I always pre...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple