“Great Hotel / Wonderful experience!”

Kimpton Alexis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I stayed with some friends at the Alexis for three nights in early April. We had booked a spacious fireplace suite and when we checked in, we were given room 422 - the John Lennon Suite. It was an awesome room, very large, with a hallway, closet, large bathroom with jetted tub, large bed seperated from the main room with sliding doors, a dining room table, large bar area, sitting area surrounded by the fireplace and tv unit.

The room was themed with John Lennon and Beatles memorabilia. A great sterio hung on the wall and the fireplace was a real treat for Seattle. Although we had mostly sunny days, one rainy chilly night made for the perfect time to stay in and light the fireplace. We ordered room service once and it was delicious! The daily wine hour is a real treat, the staff was amazing with all of our requests! I do not agree one bit with any of the comments about the staff. We had a great experience and will definitly go back and suggest The Alexis to anyone visiting Seattle.

Location, location, location is all I can say about The Alexis. It is just a few blocks Pike's Place and across from the trendy Hotel 1000. A new four seasons is being built a few blocks away, but with the renovations in store for The Alexis it is a sure bet! The hotel has some work going on, but you barely notice. Our view was not amazing, but the room made up for it. The art in the hotel was another treat.

The nearby Wild Ginger was one of the best meals we had the whole week as was the Bluesteel Diner - in case you are looking for some restaurant suggestions.

Lastly, it is a pet friendly hotel so it was nice to see some puppies in the lobby. I do not agree with comments about the smell of the hotel, if anything it is from the perfume shop at the entrance.

Overall, it's a great place to stay and I highly recommend it to anyone. We had a great rate of approx. $228 with a AAA discount and would recommend the large and spacious fireplace suite to anyone traveling to Seattle.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank jetsetter83
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Alexis Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2007

What can I say. Booked a special night for $284, and was very disappointed. Although the lobby is very nice, it is downhill from there. Stayed in a "deluxe suite", which is like an emtpy airplane hangar. A huge room with almost no furnishings, sort of like sleeping in a warehouse. They charged $32.00 for parking for one night, but couldn't make change for $40.00. All put out because I wanted to pay cash and didn't have exact change. This place is a has been dump. Please please stay in one of the newer places like the 1000 or the W. The Alexis is a pathetic washed up joke! Wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews. They are right on!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SeattleWa365
Reviewed March 1, 2007

The property is getting ready for a major remodel according to the staff, but 'as is', the rooms are clean and massivly big, you get the boutique treatment )bathrobe, nice bath products, etc. and the wine bar at 5 pm. the most important difference this time was the night manager, who was polite, friendly and really worked the guests in a sincere way at the happy hour, chatting them up, making recommendations for restaurants, night life, bars in the somewhat night life dead downtown area. i was impressed by the casual way the employees made it seem like they appreciated my business and went out of their way to be accommidating without being phoney (we all know what that feels like).
when i checked out, someone had mistakenly charged breakfast at the restaurant to my room, and they removed the charge without any hesitation or making me go into the restaurant and be ID'd as to the charge.
Great work Kimpton. Now if you can pull this one off every time, you'll be golden...

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed February 10, 2007

I've stayed at the Alexis several times on business. Impeccable attention to details, incredibly helpful staff, relaxing atmosphere, great bar downstairs, ideally situated between Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market.

Most recently stayed for two nights and upon check-in was upgraded to a deluxe King room. Loved it. The room had a "receiving area" to take off your shoes and jackets; spacious sleeping and sitting areas; huge, sparkling-clean bathroom with jetted tub (and L'Occitane toiletries!); even a little balcony with French doors.

I always look forward to sinking into their amazing beds, plush with down comforters and feather pillows. Heavenly.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Concha15
Reviewed February 8, 2007

I was in Seattle for 7 nights and I asked the Alexis Hotel to assign me a Quiet room.

They assigned me Room 521, which is a little bit away from the Elevator.

What they don't tell you is that the Quiet rooms face an Alley way, where a dumpster truck comes 3 times a week at 11 PM and creates a racket for about half an hour!

Not very good when you are trying to get over your jet lag and resting before important business meetings the next morning.

Also, the same alley way has a club of some sort and you can hear the noise from there as well.

Perhaps they need to put better sound proofing on their windows.

There is a building facing the hotel on the opposite side so if you choose lower floors you might find the view obstructed.

Decor was dated. Also a warning for women travellers .. The hotel is on 1st Avenue which is not a good road to be walking in alone at night

Overall a pretty bad experience for $276 a night.

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank gypsy_bunny
Reviewed January 7, 2007

We stayed for a week over New Year and were upgraded to a King room (the one in the brochures!) Huge, very comfy bed, french windows, big basket of yummy food and other goodies (with accompanying price list), as well as a mini bar and coffee machine. The bathrobes were funky animal print, and I even succumbed to the oh-so-soft socks that were for sale in the wardrobe. We wanted for nothing - whirlpool bath, hot shower, plenty of Aveda products in the bathroom that were reguarly replaced by housekeeping, and the nightly turndown, and room tidy up with chocolates made it feel extra special. It was great to have two armchairs.
Almost every time we wanted a taxi, the doorman offered us the services of one of the hotel's drivers, for not much more than a taxi fare, so we travelled in soft leather seats, in style.
This hotel is perfectly positioned for ease of access by foot to all of the Seattle tourist attractions. The bookbar is a lovely bar to pass the time of day, with indie/aor/soft rock/ music playing, as well as lots of magazines, books and tvs to view. A great place to watch the world go by. We had a couple of breakfasts inThe Library Bistro, and found it to be a laid back, chilled out place, where child diners could be kept entertained by drawing on the brown paper tablecloths provided. We managed to catch only one wine reception between 5-6 as we were so busy, and were given a choice of good-quality wines, to sip whilst I painted a postcard. The artwork on the walls was changed whilst we were there, as well as the selection of magazines in our room. Probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in and would definately look to Kimpton when choosing another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2006

I had to come to Seattle for business and a couple of people had recommended this hotel. I had higher expectations.

When I checked in, the front desk woman seemed confused and inexperienced. I asked for any upgrades and she quoted me only one at an extra $260 per night. I laughed.

I was on the second floor and I was stunned by the horrible musty smell in the hallways. My room also smelled smoky and musty. Really foul. I went and purchased some incense for my stay. I called down and requested a room change and was told nothing was available. My room had already been pre-paid as I had booked it on-line as a flight-hotel-car package. The room was noisy and cold. Sparsely decorated and furnished which was surprising since they tout themselves as an "art hotel." The curtains wouldn't stay closed; I had to use paperclips to hold them together to dark out the room. The hallways are noisy and you hear everyone coming and going.

The bath was like a Holiday Inn, the only saving grace the Aveda products. I coudn't get the wireless internet system to work and had to have a cable brought up, which took about 10 minutes. The concierge was extremely helpful and friendly and seemed very knowledgeable. The bed was average for what I am accustomed. I booked a massage in the spa which was pricey, but quite good. There seems to be a period of two hours in the morning between breakfast and lunch 10am to 11:30am when you cannot be served a meal!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business