“A Consistently High Quality Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Alexis Hotel
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Central Saanich, Canada
“A Consistently High Quality Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is the second time that my wife and I have stayed at the Kimpton Alexis (first time, and previous review on February 14, 2011, http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g60878-d112412-r96653449-Alexis_Hotel_a_Kimpton_Hotel-Seattle_Washington.html). Based on our previous positive experience, and because this hotel is centrally located, we stayed here again in January 2013. The check-in and check-out experience is friendly and fast, and the service and professionalism of all staff are exemplary. The door person seemed a bit distracted at times, but otherwise he was friendly and attentive. The lobby is nice and welcoming, with free and fresh coffee and water and green apples being a nice, welcome touch.

The room was on the 6th floor at the back of the hotel, with a partial view of the harbour and mountains. The room and bedding is exceptionally clean, and as with other rooms in this hotel, tastefully decorated. Mattress was firm but comfortable. In January you’ll definitely have to use the room heater as the place will get quite chilly otherwise. Fully stocked mini-bar and the $10 coupon toward the mini-bar was most welcomed (you can actually get a beer with this amount!). Bathroom is clean and well-appointed. Flatscreen TV is suitable, although we don’t usually watch much on it.

There is free wifi in the room, although you have to sign up to the Kimpton Club (or whatever it’s called). No big deal because the wifi is not only free, there’s excellent signal strength in the room. My iPhone 4 worked beautifully with the fast connection. Taking advantage of a government rate the room came to just over $150, which is a fantastic deal in a hotel of this quality. (I am not so sure, however, that I’d be prepared to pay full price, which is admittedly a bit steep.)

My only suggestion would be for there to be a more suitable reading lamp in the room, next to the big leather chair; while the floor lamp was sufficiently bright for reading, my wife found it a tad bright when she tried to sleep, with me sitting in the chair trying to read.

Location-wise, it’s a 10 minute (moderate pace) walk to the Seattle Art Museum and about 12 minutes to Pike Place. First Avenue is a fairly busy street so even walking around late at night I felt relatively safe. The Library Bistro is a nice little addition if you need to grab a beer or quick bite to eat.

My only gripe—and this is very minor—is the preauthorize charge on a credit card for an amount much higher than the actual cost ($573 pre-auth for an actual charge of $400). While I understand and appreciate that this is for security purposes, it’s still kind of a bother when you want to do a bit of extra shopping. All in all, however, this hotel has maintained the same, high rating as it did two years ago when I stayed, and I’d therefore recommend it once again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. Sixth and fifth floor, west-facing rooms have the better view...
1 Thank Adrian D
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Kimpton Alexis Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for the detailed review! I'm glad to see you and your wife are becoming Alexis regulars : )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Loved staying here. My husband and I stayed here over MLK weekend and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The room had all the modern amenities, staff were very nice and polite, plus we loved the free tea and coffee that they had in the mornings.

The Alexis Hotel is in a great location- just a few minute walk to Pike Market and close to the light rail train station.

Would definitely stay here again- just hope to get a good rate like we did!

1 Thank qtram
Please do come see us again! Thank you for choosing the Alexis ; )
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I had a great stay at the Alexis hotel for our first trip to Seattle. Our room was surprisingly large and we found it to be quite comfortable. We seemed to be on the older side of the hotel which was evident in the hallway and bathroom however, it didn't deter from our great experience. We found the concierge knowledgeable and helpful as he recommended restaurants as well as arranged our trip to the Boeing facility. The location of the hotel was perfect for our needs - close enough to walk to Pike Place and many shopping areas although not right in the noise and bustle of the centre.
Our only (very minor) complaint was the slamming of the doors in the hallway. While this certainly is a fault of the other guests, the automatic shutting of the doors was so heavy that it would vibrate our walls. One night we were woken up several times as people came and went between rooms well into the night.

1 Thank JJReid1030
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us--Keith the concierge is such a helpful guy! Next time you visit, request a quiet room, and we'll do our best to get you in a more secluded area of the hotel.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a fun hotel. One day when I came back to my room, I found a towel that was made into the shape of a dog, along with a note welcoming me. My room had furnishings that you probably wouldn't find in a chain hotel, which I liked. The staff was very friendly (in fact everyone in Seattle seemed friendly). The only problem was that garbage trucks made noisy visits at 3 am in the alley behind the hotel, which woke me up (I mentioned this in a survey to the hotel, so maybe it has been addressed by now). The Alexis is located near Pike's Market, which is a great place to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you found Seattle to be so welcoming. We want you to rest well--our garage pickup is never scheduled during sleeping times, but we're still working on getting all of our neighbors in nearby buildings to do the same! I hope you'll find things a bit more peaceful next time you're here : )
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We Stayed here for 2 nights and there were some good points but there was a few things that let the hotel down. The room was nice, a good size, well decorated and very clean but we were staying in the old section of the hotel and the air con was completely ineffective. The room was warm when we first got in to it and so set the air con cooler to bring the temperature down - the room stayed the same temperature and maybe even got hotter! The windows were screwed shut so that was not an option. We did not get hardly any sleep the first night because of the heat. We discussed this with reception but as we only had one night left we were not offered a room change, we were offered a floor fan, this had little affect and the second night was just as hot as the first. Can't imagine what it would be like in the summer.

There was also no tea of coffee making facilities in the room so even you needed that first cup to get you out of bed in the morning you had to walk a block and a half to the nearest coffee shop!

The guys on the front door/valet parking were very friendly and very helpful but I did not find the receptionist staff as helpful. When we first arrived we had to return a hire car and wanted to find out if the was an office close by that we could return it to. The guys on the front door were helping us out and asked one of the receptionists if they could call the closest office and find out our options, the receptionist simply wrote down the number and gave it to me, so I started to walk back up to my room to use the phone and the front door guy found me another phone to use. It then turned out when we returned the car there were two rent a car offices closer than the one the receptionist had given us.

The bookstore bar at the front of the hotel was great, good atmosphere friendly staff and get drinks menu.

In summary the hotel was ok but I would not stay there again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so sorry to hear we did not reach the standards we work hard to uphold. Your experience with the desk staff is not typical, and I apologize that you didn't feel well taken care of, or get placed in a room with a more suitable temperature. Although not all of our rooms come with coffee makers, we can always bring one up free of charge, and we have fresh brewed coffee every morning in the lobby. I hope that you'll give us another chance to see why many guests consider the Alexis a second home. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at jenne.neptune@alexishotel.com--we'd love to have you back at our special friends and family rate. Thank you for sharing your honest feedback.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our entire experience, from the moment we pulled up to the valet until our check-out, exceeded our expectations. The valet let us know that parking is half price for hybrid vehicles (yes!!), we were greeted with a fabulous wine reception while checking in, and upgraded to an amazing room on the top floor. In addition, the hotel staff made accomodations to celebrate our anniversary, which was really special. We will absolutely stay in this hotel in future trips to Seattle.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a room with one of the spa tubs, do it!!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Kimpton Alexis Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Spread the word--50%off parking for hybrids! What a great way to save some cash. We'll see you next time you're in the city (perhaps the next anniversary?!).
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We're slightly frugal and got this on a name-your-price bid. Turned out to be a great value, excellent location, surprisingly quiet. Very clean. Super friendly & helpful staff. Very comfortable bed. We couldn't afford normal price but would hope to get a deal here again next time we go to downtown Seattle.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We always have a special or two running, so please keep your eyes out for a deal and come see us again! Thank you so much for the kind review.