“Great fun, great challenge, well-thought-out puzzles and great hints”
Review of Hourglass Escapes

Hourglass Escapes
Ranked #4 of 78 Fun & Games in Seattle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: An escape room is a real life adventure game where players are in a room and must use objects they find in the room/environment as well as their brains to solve a mystery or set of puzzles within a set time limit to reach a goal or "escape" from the room or situation. These are popular team building exercises and family friendly fun. It’s basically a 60 min live action movie with you as the star!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 19, 2017

I'm part of a group of six puzzle-loving people, and Rise of the Mad Pharaoh was I believe our seventh room escape together. (Starting to lose count.) This one was a lot of fun! We beat the room with less than two minutes to spare, and the tension was definitely palpable. The plot was of course quite campy and silly, with lots of fun jokes scattered about. Our host did an amazing job setting the scene, and his hints were excellent - never too obvious, yet exactly what we needed to figure out a particularly tough part of the puzzle.

Like some other reviewers, I also appreciated the fact that the puzzles weren't all just different forms of combination locks. There was a good variety of puzzles to solve, and the fact that each of us had a role with helpful flavor text really helped as well.

Finally, the theme itself was a lot of fun. My wife is a big fan of ancient Egypt, so doing an Egyptian-themed room escape was even more fun for that. But at the same time, the room was complete enough that you don't have to know anything at all about Egypt to be able to solve the puzzles. So don't be scared off by the theme - it IS a challenging room, but just keep your wits about you and pay attention to details, and you can solve it all!

Management response:Responded May 22, 2017

Wow! Thank you so much for this great review. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit.

Dr. Carter asked to pass this on to you.

"Dear Harvan119,

My sincerest gratitude for saving myself and the world from the sandy clutches of the Mad Pharaoh. Next time I am in Seattle ill make sure to thank you in person.

Dr. Jebidiah Carter "

"a lot of fun"
in 9 reviews
"fun hour"

Reviewed May 15, 2017

We've done a number of escape rooms around Seattle, and even in a few other states, and Hourglass Escapes does raise the bar. Good use of technology, physical items, thematic plots, etc. There were a couple technical difficulties during our experience but it certainly doesn't seem like this is the norm. Would recommend to a friend.

Date of experience: May 2017
Management response:Responded May 16, 2017

Thank you for the amazing review! We love knowing that experienced players enjoy the game and appreciate the story as well. We hope you visit us again at our new space.

We also want to thank you and all of our players in May for a very special reason. $1 of all tickets sold May 1st to Mothers day goes to Mary's Place Seattle. A local charity to help homeless mothers, children and families.

Reviewed May 15, 2017

I've been to many other escape rooms. This one was unique in that a lot of the puzzles center around one artifact. It is not as hard as others I've done but is still challenging. We solved it with a group of 8 people.

Management response:Responded May 16, 2017

Thank you for the high praise! We do our best to be a unique room that is accessible to all skill levels.

Dr. Carter, asked me to pass on his gratitude for saving him from certain doom. He also hopes to see you when he returns from Egypt.

Cheers!

Reviewed May 4, 2017

I found out about the room from escaperoomtips.com. It rated this as one of the best rooms in Seattle. Everything the review said was true (this was a very sound tech game, the automation was great, the theme was consistent). However, I have two complaints: We went as a group of 9 which I think is too large (a group of 6-7 should suffice); therefore none of us got the satisfied feeling of cracking it + it got too hot in there after a while. Otherwise, it was a fun adventure, and the host was very helpful and engaging.

Management response:Responded May 5, 2017

Hi Sam,

We appreciate the feedback. We are glad you agree it is one of the best in Seattle and enjoy the tech and the game master.

And we also appreciate the feedback. I just emailed our web developer to add some info in our FAQ and on the game page with group size recommendations. Please check our site in the next week or two for that addition.

We are enlarging the room size for this adventure in our new facility that opens in July. As well as making sure the air conditioning is on for all games now that the weather has changed.

Feel free to contact me thru the website if you have any other needs. Your feedback helps us grow and improve.