“Impressive! So many planes and exhibits! Go if you have free time!”

The Museum of Flight
Ranked #2 of 453 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Walk the aisle of JFK's Air Force One and climb aboard the West Coast's only Concorde. Revel in the history and heroics of WWI and WWII. Barrel-roll a Mustang, land on the moon, and soar over Puget Sound in a simulator. Experience the excitement of the space race and sit at the controls of the world's fastest jet. From the Wright brothers to the exploration of Mars, you'll find it at The Museum of Flight!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 16, 2007

You could spend hours here if you are interested in reading all the info in the exhibits. There are so many planes. I've been the the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum and this place is just as good. Serious!

If you just want to breeze by everything it will take about and hour or two. Otherwise you can take hours if you are into reading the informative exhibits. You can even sit in a couple cockpits or take a ride in a couple simulators ($5-$8)

Some highlights were being able to go into an old Air Force One and a Concorde.

It's only 10-15 min drive from downtown.

4  Thank sctrojan1
There are newer reviews for The Museum of Flight

Reviewed March 1, 2007

My hubby really wanted to check this out. I thought, okay, I got to go to the Market and he didn't really want to, it's the least I can do. Wow, was I surprised! This place was great. We got to climb onto real airplanes (a former Air Force One and a Concorde), into cockpits of fighters, and we could've done a simulator too! (Okay, I wasn't that daring!) Then we went into the history of WWI and WWII. It had stories in multimedia forms. Tons of hands on stuff for kids. It was great. They literally kicked us out at closing time! We both enjoyed it and would love to go back with our kids.

8  Thank Baby_Sokes
Reviewed February 13, 2007

The Seattle Museum of Flight is an amazing place to invest an entire day---then plan to come back. The history of aviation, the tales of the pioneers of aviation--- designers, engineers, builders and flyers of these amazing aircraft ---it's all here. And so much more!
Most of the docents lived the history. On my numerous visits to this museum, I've had the pleasure of taking a tour with docents who, for example, "flew the hump" (the Himalayas) in WWII; one who was an aerodynamicist on the Boeing 777; one who is an Alaska bush pilot; and one who flew the flying boats for Pan Am back in the 1940s!
The special programs include presentations by WWII and Korean War aces, astronauts, SR-71 pilots, Tuskegee Airmen, Vietnam veterans, and more.
They host events to honor veterans on Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, etc. They host the Blue Angels the first weekend in August---that's a trip! And one of the best places to view the Blues up close---including an astonishing flyby down on the deck in full afterburner!
They add exhibits and artifacts frequently. Every time I go there, something new has been added.
Come for a day. Take a docent-led tour. Ask questions. Listen to the powerful stories. Plan to return often!

6  Thank HistoricFlyer
Reviewed November 6, 2006

This attraction can really eat up most of a day. They have an amazing variety of craft.

2  Thank Moost
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Our entire family enjoyed this fabulous museum. We started in the Red Barn and followed the history of flight chronologically. The WWII tribute is not to be missed. The simulator was scary to look at, but inside was fine. Yes, my teen talked me into being his "gunner". A viewing screen is located outside the simulator for the non-flyers to enjoy without "barrelrolls". Make sure you get to the flight deck to hear real traffic controllers and watch Boeing Field in action. Just for fun, we stopped at the children's section to pose in the cutouts. Across the street, we were able to board a Concord and an Air Force One. This closed 30 minutes early..so check times. We planned on a few hours and ended up almost the whole day. We can't wait to go back!!!!!

10  Thank Happyscamper