“Fascinating area”

$65.98*
Seattle City Tour
Ranked #65 of 463 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Pioneer Square Park, topped by an ornate pergola, is the site of the city's oldest settlement.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Pioneer Square was for me the most interesting area in Seattle. It is the site of the original city - that was flooded repeatedly then raised up and rebuilt after the Great fire of 1889. Many of the current buildings street level entrances were originally on the second floor of the buildings. The pavements slope to allow good drainage and often one sees little leadlight glass squares. these let in light to the original two storeys of the old city, which are now underground. There is an excellent informative and entertaining tour of the Underground business district (Bill Speidel's Underground tour) during which one can look up through these leadlight squares. Pioneer Square has three self guided walking tours that take one past many historic buildings and attractions. The whole area has a completely different feel to the rest of Seattle and is quiet artistic. Allow at least half a day or two half days to see everything it has to offer.

4  Thank GeriM02

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We love history and the story of the Seattle Underground was fascinating. The city just sort evolved, and this was the result. Worth the visit!!

4  Thank corkiek
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was only in the neighborhood to go on one of the underground tours. There are a lot of small shops and cafes in the area, the totem pole in interesting, and I loved seeing the original trolley stop pergola. Many of the old buildings are beautiful, too. However, I have to agree with another reviewer that the area doesn't feel safe. There are a lot of panhandlers and most are polite, but some of them will get slightly aggressive or try to corner you. I doubt I would visit the neighborhood alone or after dark.

1  Thank NicoleK945
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I took walk to the Seattle Art Museum on a Tuesday afternoon and discovered that it was closed. As long as I was out, I decided to head to the Pioneer Square area and revisit the lovely old part of the city. I haven't been to Seattle in almost 10 years and I must say that while there were still some interesting shops and the architecture is still lovely, the vibe in Pioneer Square was unsettling. Aggressive panhandlers are all over the area and during my visit there were stories on the news about beatings in the area after dark. If you go, go during the day when there are plenty of people around.

1  Thank MomRocco
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Not much happening on the Sunday we walked from our hotel to pioneer square other than Seahawks fans spilling out of the bars. We found a nice bookstore on 1st street on the way back but the Pioneer square antique mall was closed despite it being listed in Where magazine. I reported it closed. Most interesting stuff elsewhere I think.