Open today: Closed

More Info
from $12.31
More Info
1,555 results
All reviews permanent collection special exhibit porcelain room on display gift shop rainy day few hours couple of hours louvre aboriginal northwest galleries admission century objects diversity downtown
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2019

Kate Olson Quartet performed ,in lobby at SAM . She is an outstanding saxophone musician,with talented drum,base,and keyboard.

Reviewed February 3, 2019

It had diverse cultural display. But what really get my attention the display of some arts and documentary film on the floor instead on the wall. The documentary film about artist was projected from ceiling to the floor. This was very interesting way of utilizing the spaces for display.

Reviewed January 26, 2019 via mobile

I work in the visual arts so I try to hit the big art museum in every city I visit. This one disappointed. I happened to be there after one blockbuster exhibition closed but before the next opened, so a lot of galleries were blocked off for reinstallation. Permanent collection nothing special, minor artists or very minor works by big name artists. However, their Northwest Coast indigenous arts collection is stunningly installed, and the porcelain room is dazzling in its sheer number of works. The African collection is not bad either. It's not encyclopedic, and there is no logic to the installation. It's almost stream of consciousness. A clear path to follow and some better interpretation might have helped. Still, it's a nice way to kill a couple of hours.

Reviewed January 19, 2019 via mobile

Spend most of the day at the art gallery and thoroughly enjoyed it! The travelling exhibit Peacock in the Desert was excellent and the permanent exhibits were as well. The museum had a really great mix of artist styles and periods including a great section on African masks, regional Indigenous art and contemporary art. The cafe had delicious reasonably priced food. Would recommend the chicken masala. There is also a significant student discount! Would highly recommend!

1  Thank Caitlin B
Reviewed January 4, 2019 via mobile

We went here on a Free First Thursday with my family. I thought it was OK. My kids didn’t mind walking through it.

I’m not an art lover, but I know it’s hard to rate an art museum because there is so much subjectivity. I’ve been to the large art museums in Paris and New York, and of course they not reasonable comparisons as all museums can’t be as expansive. The SAM is much more moderate in size with very specific niche collections. Some I liked, some I ignored. It’s different for everyone. All I can recommend is that visitors quickly preview the collections online and then you’ll know if you will enjoy it or not. Although I didn’t pay extra for the special exhibit (Peacock in the Desert) what little I did see from the permanent collection side was very impressive looking.