“Beautiful Peruvian Art Exhibit”
Review of Seattle Art Museum

Shared Three-Hour Pre-Cruise Seattle City Highlights Tour
Ranked #25 of 443 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: SAM has been the center for world-class visual arts in the Pacific Northwest since 1933. Visit SAM to see a museum carved into the city, as much a part of Seattle's landscape and personality as the coffee, rain, mountains, Pike Place Market, and the Space Needle. Our three distinct locations celebrate the region's position as a crossroads where east meets west, urban meets natural, local meets global. Our collections, installations, special exhibitions, and programs feature art from around the world and build bridges between cultures and centuries. ​
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Renton, Washington
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 272 helpful votes
“Beautiful Peruvian Art Exhibit”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

SAM is currently exhibiiting a beautiful Peruvian art exhibit that captures the native history and art of the country. It isn't a huge exhibit and will take you probably an hour to an hour and a half to get through but it is worth seeing for all of the precious metals used (gold and silver in particular). There's an impressive silver and jewel encrusted pelican (though it looks more like a big crane) that was used as an urn and a knotted recordkeeping and "writing" system that consists of colored twisted string with various knots. These are just two of the highlights.

1 Thank JLFERG

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oceanside, Oregon
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Very good museum.”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The museum has a very good variety of art exhibits. During our visit they had a special exhibit on Peru which was excellent. We saw a good representation of the Peruvian art we had seen in Peru during a visit 3 years ago. They also had some good modern art and a great section on African art.

1 Thank Oregon_Coast_Duo
Tustin, California
300 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 481 helpful votes
“I stop in every time I'm in Seattle; always worth a visit”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

SAM is a fine museum, and I have actually been a member for many years even though I live out-of-state. I make a point of it to visit SAM during my annual trips to Seattle. I always stay downtown, so it is easy to walk there. [Note: closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, but open until 2100 on Thursdays]

The museum’s permanent collections are quite varied, including works from Africa, Europe, the U.S., the ancient Mediterranean and most of Asia. There are also decorative arts (mainly Europe), contemporary art and galleries featuring native American and northwest (U.S.) art. My favorites are the African pieces and the paintings from 19th century America. Even though there are no iconic artworks equaling the status of “Night Watch,” “Guernica,” “The Scream” or “The Thinker,” there is much to see that is interesting. I always wind up spending a good two hours roaming the galleries.

One feature I really enjoy about SAM: there are always at a couple or more temporary installations showing concurrently, of which at least one is bound to pique my interest. The current one about Peru (special ticketed exhibition, on view through January 2014) far exceeded my expectations, and I would recommend taking a diversion to see this. Go to SAM’s website and look at the “Upcoming” page to see some of the amazing art that is heading to Seattle.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Jim L
Minato, Japan
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Museum at convenient location”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Visited to see perubian exhibition. It was worthy of money and time. Museum guide available for this. For overall, volunteer museum guide tour available at certain time. I liked african mask collection as well as porcelain collection. There are musem shop and restaurant. As the location is at down town, easy to stop by before and after Pike's market.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Small Museum but worth a look on the 1st Thursday when it's free”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A friend of mine took me to visit SAM on a recent visit to Seattle. I wanted to see SAM because on the first Thursday of the month it is free. This is a small museum and can be easily seen in an hour or two. This is a good activity if the weather is unpleasant. Tickets are $19.50 for an adult. I'm glad I didn't pay that to see the museum as I thought the museum was quite small.

The most interesting exhibit in this museum is the hanging cars in the lobby area. I really liked seeing them. SAM allows photography in most areas but some special exhibits may not be ok to photograph. When I was there, the new exhibit was a Fashion Exhibit from Japan which was not permitted to be photographed.

The museum is in the downtown area near Pike's Market. The hardest part of visiting the museum is parking. We had street parking near the museum but were nearly towed when the time zone changed to no parking for rush hour! My friend who lives in the are didn't notice the time and we were back just in time to keep from being towed although she did get a ticket. Seattle is serious about their parking regulations. We were just 10 minutes late! Read the signs carefully.

Visited August 2013

Been to Seattle Art Museum? Share your experiences!