“An excellent art gallery”
Review of Seattle Art Museum

Pre-Cruise Seattle Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #52 of 490 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: SAM has been the center for world-class visual arts in the Pacific Northwest since 1933. Visit SAM to see a museum carved into the city, as much a part of Seattle's landscape and personality as the coffee, rain, mountains, Pike Place Market, and the Space Needle. Our three distinct locations celebrate the region's position as a crossroads where east meets west, urban meets natural, local meets global. Our collections, installations, special exhibitions, and programs feature art from around the world and build bridges between cultures and centuries. ​
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Went to see the Paul Gauguin exhibit. Gauguin's paintings leave much to be desired but the Polyesian displays that accompany the exhibit are excellent. The gallery itself is well laid out and the exhibits are good. It's a bit pricey but you can spend lots of time wandering from exhibit to exhibit at a leisurely pace. SAM has a very good gift shop. Huge selection of books on art and artists

Write a ReviewReviews (1,424)
All reviews
"nice collection"
in 16 reviews
"free admission"
in 23 reviews
"hanging from the ceiling"
in 16 reviews
"few hours"
in 33 reviews
"couple of hours"

Reviewed February 24, 2012

What a great show, we were lucky to have seen it. Lots of information, many pieces to see. Too bad we didn't have time to do the rest of the Museum.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I saw the Gaugin exhibit and little else, except the wonderful oversized Warhol of a young Elvis. They have a great museum store.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

When traveling to a new city, I always check out the art museum to get an idea of the artistic influences on the city. The weekend I was there , there was a special exhibit :Gauguin Polynesia which was amazing... The next day I visited again to see their permanent collection.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2012

As a seasoned traveler there's a couple or three things I do that are standard no matter where I go. First, I take a bus tour of the city so I'll know how I want to spend my time. Next, I'll take a boat tour. There's no way you can really see a city from a street. To get the whole picture you need to either be in a plane or ina boat. ANd lastly, I always, always, always visit the local art museums. And the Seattle Art museum will not disappoint.