“best sports bar, bartender in Seattle is a Californian”
Review of The Spitfire

The Spitfire
Ranked #1,839 of 4,096 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Belltown
Whistler, Canada
“best sports bar, bartender in Seattle is a Californian”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

To best enjoy this years SuperBowl,myself and two buddies headed South of the 49th Parallel to Seattle Washington. We checked into a nearby hotel and inquired with the desk as to the best "sports bar" close to the hotel where we could watch and revel in the SuperBowl mayhem. The clerk suggested The Spitfire, 4 blocks away and easy stumbling distance home should we really enjoy ourselves. As we approached the bar, a sandwich board outside on the sidewalk mentioned cheap beers and best viewing of the game. We were stoked and headed inside. Upon entry we were quickly I'D'd, asked who we were rooting for and then wished a good time. A quick scan of the bar, showed plenty of females of all ages and shapes, mixed with a fair proportion of males; gladly this was not a sausage party. We hunkered down at one of the wooden picnic tables in the main room and ordered a couple of pitchers of beer. The beer was very cold as were the mugs, and in no time we asked for some of the wings that our server mentioned were some of the best hot wings around. No joke the wings are EXCELLENT, juicy, huge, well battered and very HOT. With tables inclose proximity we soon found ourselves chatting with a couple of fans from San Francisco, and casually jawed other fans. One more jug of beer and we decided to make a move for the back room. The Spitfire features a large private room with a bar, huge sofas, many tables and more of the picnic style tables, all facing an EXTREMELY LARGE "Hi-Def" T.V. (could be 70" or more). Because the game had not started yet, patrons ordered from the bar, and so I ambled up, got in a short que and waited to be served. As I was waiting, I could not help notice the bartender. This was a person well versed in their craft, with easy dexterity, her hands flung glasses and bottles and openers and ice in all directions with the results always the same; perfect pour, no spill and tasty looking drink. Sensing the need to pickup the pace a bit with the game approaching; I ordered a double Gin and Lemonade. I wasn't expecting them to have lemonade, but thought I would try anyways. Turns out that was no problem for this bartender. Grabbing a few lemons, she sliced, juiced them and them began muddling them, adding a shot of simple syrup, the 2xGin (very liberally), a quick blast from her gun (soda water), and voila; infront of me liquid heaven. I slurped the contents of the glass, licked my lips tried to pull my gaze away from the stunner who had just made me drink of the year. Tattooed on her arm California. Her name is Taylor, she is gorgeous, extremely friendly, has a beautiful smile, knows mixology and has pearly whites. If you are in the area and are a sports fan, there is no better place to watch the game, enjoy the spirt of sport, revel in victory, drink in a loss than The Spitfire, and for the best drinks, keep your eyes peeled for Taylor from California.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank David S

Park City, Utah
“Love The Spitfire!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great Sports Bar with Incredible Food!!! Very cool atmosphere and great staff! Our bartender Noel & Server Sean where the best! I don't think I have ever seen a or tasted such incredible food or a menu in a sports bar! Great Drinks, Great Food, Great Service! Great Value! What else could you ask for!!! Thanks to the entire staff for doing a great job!

Visited November 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Delicious lunch and great sports environment!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This place is perfect to catch the game, and has surprisingly good food (for a bar). I had the Jonny Appleseed Smoked Burger Sliders and they were amazing! There are TV's in every corner of the bar and make it easy for everyone to see the many games playing at the same time.

Seattle, Washington
“Ok, but could be so much better”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Spitfire has a good Belltown location, a very large space with lots of room for big parties, sidewalk dining, and a big window that opens in the bar on warm summer days. They also feature a good number of glowing, national reviews on their website. All of this lead me to think, "I gotta try this place." So I dropped in with friends after work on a pleasant summer afternoon when the open windows and happy hour called to me. I tried Spitfire again a couple nights later with a friend as we went looking for something casual on a Saturday night. Both experiences have left me scratching my head.

Spitfire is one of those places that looks great on the surface, but then you realize is nothing special. The space is vacuous, dark, and lacking in aesthetics. They seem understaffed and the resulting service, while friendly, is slow. The food tastes ok but isn't anything that can't be found elsewhere. And the beer selection is pretty bad for a Seattle sports bar. They only had 6-8 taps, two off which were wasted on the likes of Bud and Miller. The remaining micros were pretty pedestrian and lacked the variety that Seattle beer fans expect.

Spitefire's claim-to-fame seems to be their game day experience. I haven't been there to watch any sports but they certainly seem well appointed for it (lots of space and plenty of TVs). Still, it's so average in every other respect so I can't see why Spitfire has supposedly been nationally recognized as a sports bar. It makes me think whomever bestowed that "award" on them hasn't been anywhere else.

Spitfire has all the right pieces but they don't come together at all. You may not be disappointed but you won't be surprised. As a spot to have a beer and watch a game, I'm sure its fine. But if you want a cool place with good service, great energy, and better food, there are many other places to go downtown.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Could be better”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spitfire has all the right pieces but they don't come together at all. You may not be dissapointed but you won't be surprised. As a spot to have a beer and watch a game, I'm sure its fine. But if you want a cool place with good service, great energy, and better food, there are many other places to go downtown.

• Visited September 2012