“Nice rooms, odd fragrance in hall though”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice rooms, odd fragrance in hall though”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights for a conference recently. The room was great: couch, king-sized bed, flat screen TV on swivel, safe, mini-fridge, desk, plenty of light, plenty of outlets. Bathroom was tiny, but that's fine by me. Bed and pillows were VERY comfortable. There were only two things I didn't like. 1) the curtains were hard to completely close, and I prefer a very dark room at night. Next time I'll bring clothespins. 2) The halls had an odd, sweet smell; something like the cheap car air fresheners that smell like pina colada. Or perhaps some sort of Kool-Aid. It didn't really bother me, but if you're going to put a smell in the hallway, how about "fresh linen" or something clean?

Room Tip: I was on the 14 floor and still heard traffic outside. If you want a quiet room, I suggest going to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brandon B, Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for providing a thorough review of your recent stay. We appreciate your candid comments about our accommodations and will include your feedback in future planning.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed September 29, 2013

After much research on the best location to stay in Seattle for our brief stay my husband and I decided on the Roosevelt. It is conveniently locate to the Pike Place market as well as transport and the shopping district.
When coming from the airport we were advised that shuttles were very time consuming and that the taxis were quite expensive due to the distance and often bad traffic. We decided to catch the light rail. This cost us only $2.75 and was a quick and efficient trip. The Roosevelt was closely located to the station so upon exiting we only had to walk a couple of blocks.

Staff were very friendly on check in which was great. When we got to the room though we realised that the size of the room was going to be an issue as there was only room for the bed and not anything else. My husband and I had a fair amount of luggage and it was difficult to see where we were going to put it. The view out the window was also a little disappointing as it was pretty much just a brick wall. The bathroom was tiny. Honestly I think that this is the smallest hotel room that I have ever stayed in!

My husband went down stairs to see if we could upgrade our room (I realised that we only got an entry level room so assumed to improve it we would have to pay more). Unfortunately there was a wedding on and the hotel was fully booked.

We ended up making the best of it though and really apart from the size of the room the hotel couldn't really be faulted. No breakfast was included but in the morning there was coffee available in the lobby. There was free wifi and a 10% discount at Macy's with our room key. We didn't need this as we were overseas travellers and get the 10% anyway but I thought it was still great.

The location was excellent being close to everything and despite the size of the rooms they seemed to be quite sound proof and we didn't hear our neighbours once. The staff were also extremely friendly.

Overall I think that you get what you pay for. We paid for location and since we got a cheaper room did not pay for size.

If you are travelling by yourself this would be a great option or if you only intend on sleeping in the hotel and spending no other time there then it would also be fine. If I was going back to Seattle I am not sure I would stay again unless our budget was increased and we could afford a larger room. But if I had the extra money I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room above floor 10 as if not your view may be of a wall. Also pay for a higher room rather th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your tips regarding the light rail and our close proximity to many Seattle attractions. We are disappointed to read your expectations regarding room size were not met and apologize that we were unable to accommodate you with a different room because we were at full occupancy. We hope you will join us again for a more typical and pleasant stay at The Roosevelt!
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My fiancé was staying here and I wanted to send a bottle of wine, M&M's & a note, to her room, a gentleman named Peter, went above and beyond with helping me with my request.
Thank you, Peter.
She has stayed here countless times and has had nothing but wonderful things to say about the hotel, it's employees and it's location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Denise W
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We love to hear that our staff is providing exceptional customer service! We will share you compliments with Peter and look forward to to the opportunity to serve both you and your fiancé in the future.
Wyoming
Reviewed September 21, 2013

OK - so I actually like the hotel. Decent room, great location, reasonably priced, but their wifi is a wimp!

In the age of information - if your wifi can't stream video you can't score above three dots.

I'm now a technophile --- so sue me.

Cheue

Room Tip: A room over the street can be a little noisy but interesting
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cheue444
Brandon B, Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Cheue, thank you for providing us with a review. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel but apologize that our Wi-Fi was not up to standard. We will certainly double check our connection to ensure we do not encounter this issue in the future.
North Vancouver
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We booked this on hotwire and initially I was really excited as it was so close to the Paramount theatre (which was where we were headed).

The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful with directions. The lobby appeared in good shape. We got up to our room to find it was suuuuper small. It barely fit the double bed and a desk that was inside. The bathroom was also very tiny, you had to pretty much keep the door open to make room. (on a positive note I did like the shampoo/conditioner they offered)

My boyfriend is 6'2" and his ankles were hanging off the end of the bed, which made it a very uncomfortable sleep. I realize hes tall...but theres a large population of the world that is over 6' tall.

The valet also lost our name/info for our vehicle so it took awhile to get our car back when we were trying to leave.

I dont know that we would stay here again unless we were in a pinch.

1 Thank Brandie W
We strive to provide exceptional service and on this occasion it is clear that we fell short. We extend our sincerest apologies that you encountered an inconvenient experience with our valet service. We hope we have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We got a good deal on this hotel and after experiencing a few disappointing hotels/motels on our 16 days USA road trip (Denver to Seattle), The Roosevelt proved to be a gem.

Cannot fault the location - excellent for the SeaTac airport.

Pike Market is a leisurely 10/15 minute walk away.

The hotel is clean;

Our room was 'compact' but fine for our needs.

The only moans/groans is that the lift is extremely S.....L.....O.....W
and that the free wifi is as best hit and miss but this may have something to do with our room being on the 15th floor. If this is the case, then they need a booster to prevent constantly being disconnected from the internet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you took to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. We will certainly utilize your comments about our complimentary Wi-Fi for future planning. Thank you for your compliments about our location and clean accommodations!
Bangkok
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I wish 1/2 star rating could be given as I feel uncomfortable giving this a 4.0 - but 3.0 would be too low to differentiate the property. It is a 3.5 -- An older property which has at least refurbished the hallways I was on and the room I was in.

The tubs are small. The toilet nearly on the wall. Not much space for bags. The signs of age are there -- but with fresh carpet, bed, a new coat of paint, it seems fine.

The issue I note is that the STAFF COULD NOT GUARANTEE A ROOM with a PREPAID RESERVATION - ONE WEEK BEFORE BOOKING. Now this is new for me. I call it to verify the posting and given concerns of overbooking in other posts was told by the front desk staff that notwithstanding my prepaid reservation - that I could not be guaranteed that a room would be available. The staff also lacked some aspects of professionalism and was hurried and made me wish I had avoided the property at that time.

In thousands of nights at hotels - -this was a first for me. In the developing world, I might tolerate it -- but not in the United States and NOT on a prepaid booking with much lead time. I had the booking agent (publicly traded company) call and in and have the conversation.

I later called in again out of an abundance of caution to reverify.

On arrival, our flight crew from the flight was in front of us and being nicely upgraded to a higher floor than us. My stress level increased as I heard the desk conversation speak of no rooms available - and wondered if I'd be engaging the concerns of overbooking I'd found in other previous review. False Alarm. Room keys were quickly issued. Staff was polite.

At the end of the day ---

1. Refurbished rooms - small but acceptable
2. Tiny toilet -- so expect to do a little side sweet twist if you have shoulders or are tall
3. Front desk staff were polite and helpful in person - but much less so on the telephone
4. The lobby area looks like a friends living room -- pleasant with a few friends but useless for a crowd.

Would repeat ....... but would consider other options first.

We left for the Hyatt and never looked back...

1 Thank B P
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your recent stay. We are sharing your comments about customer service with the rest of our team so we can improve. We appreciate you mentioning that you would return for another stay with us.