“Good location, Small Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Rochford, United Kingdom
“Good location, Small Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and found the hotel to be really well located for what Seattle had to offer. Food, drink, shopping and attractions were all easily accessed on foot which was great.

We arrived very late due as the flight was delayed due to fog and the person on reception was not overly welcoming. The room was very small, not much space to move around at all and there was a severe lack of shelving/storage space in the bathroom. However, it was clean, very modern and well maintained, but as we had 5 cases (this was a stop on a much longer trip) space certainly was an issue.

That said, it did cost less than other properties that were available and, although I would not say it was cheap, I feel the small room was probably reflected in the price we paid.

We did not have an issue with noise, our room was at the end of a corridor and we overlooked a side street so, combined with a comfortable bed, our sleep quality was good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tobesk
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Tobesk,
Thank you so much for choosing to spend your Seattle holiday with us at the Max. We are very happy to hear that you thought the room to be very clean, that you enjoyed our modern music theme and that you slept comfortably. That's so important!
On the other hand, I am sorry to hear that you found the room to be on the smaller side. Please know that as a building built in the 1920's that we have some unique room layouts. Let us know next time and we will do everything we can to find you something that works for you.
We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back and if I can be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
kevin.scott@hotelmaxseattle.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Rooms were on the small side. They were clean and modern and I had a great view. The best part about the hotel is that you get free pints from 530-630 need i say more? The staff was awesome and super nice. I highly recommend this hotel for a fun night on the town!!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Loucom3
Kevin S, Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Hey there Loucom3! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your room and the view. Next time, feel free to let us know if you are cramped — we have a number of different sized accommodations to ensure that you're comfortable. Glad to hear that you took advantage of our happy hour. The only thing better than beer is free craft beer, right? I hope we'll see you again sometime!

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Max in October, 2013. It has a great location, the staff was very friendly and overall had a very hip atmosphere. Parents should be advised that some of the artwork in the halls might be considered a little risque, but there were families there at the time. The hotel is very close to the Pike Place (an easy walk) and a very nice seafood restaurant is only a block away. The rooms may be a little small, esp the bathroom, but the furnishings were very efficient and modern and the room didn't actually feel small. At the time of our visit, their restaurant was being refurbished, so I can't comment on that -- there is a Starbucks across the street but note that it is closed on Sundays. I would warn laptop users that there is a limit on free wi-fi (remember that Starbucks!). We only had one night there but we would have stayed longer and will definitely return the next time in Seattle.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColaMike54184
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear ColaMike54184,
Happy New Year and thanks so much for the 5 star review! We are so proud and moreover, elated to hear that you and your wife had such a great time with us. Love your tips about the local area and your insight into our hotel rooms. We've definitely "Maximized" the space available. Our new restaurant, Miller's Guild, is now open and producing amazing food from the custom made 9' foot grill. We cannot wait to welcome you back for a fun night on the town.
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We asked for a room with a view of the Space Needle and we were not disappointed. We were able to see most of the New Year's Eve pyrotechnics in spite of the fog that had settled in that night. The room was clean and comfortable although very small, providing very little space in which to walk around in. We were pleased with the room temperature, the view from the window, the cleanliness the and how quiet it was at night. The only real drawback was that we could smell wood smoke in the room which we assume emanated from the fire grill in the Miller's Guild restaurant in the same building on the first floor. We were on the 7th floor!

The "happy hour" in the lobby with complimentary craft beer was a nice touch. The "beertender" was informative and friendly.

We were lucky to have a corporate reduced rate for the room and would be hard pressed to pay the regular rate. It's a nice place but the size of the room and the smoke odors suggests a lower rate.

Room Tip: Take steps to eliminate the smell of smoke entering the rooms at night. Include a small fridge and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven C
Kevin S, Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thanks for choosing to ring in the new year with us, Steven! It's great that you were lucky enough to see the fireworks show through the fog that evening, but I wish you would've felt more comfortable with your space. We have a number of designs and configurations to choose from, and we're always willing to accommodate our guests with larger rooms if they're available. It sounds like you had the chance to explore more of the hotel — I'm glad you could join us for happy hour! We love talking beer over beer and hope you discovered a new favorite brew.

On another note, we appreciate the comments about the smell from downstairs. The restaurant just recently opened up and we were still working out all the fine details of its operation, and I apologize if the smell was an inconvenience. It was great hearing from you, and I hope we'll be able to host you again during your next trip to Seattle.

Cheers,,
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

the hotel is in a great location, and the bed is fantastic. the staff was really helpful, but that's where the good points stop.

the rooms are so small that you almost can't walk around the bed, and with two people needing space for their things, the room was a disaster in a matter of two minutes! and i even took the queen room hoping it would be bigger than the standard - paying more for a room that doesn't fit you and your partner? not cool. no space at all. in the bathroom, there isn't even a place for your toiletry bag - i had to put it on the floor! so many things in our room were broken, a corkscrew, the blinds, plugged tub... it was in disrepair overall.

the kicker was the parking. apparently the lot is tight, and because of the little room, my car was dinged/scraped in TWO different spots! this is definitely something i'll take up with hotel management, but beware if you plan to hand over your keys to the valet!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MustLoveAva
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hey there MustLoveAva!
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us and for the shout out when it came to how much you enjoyed our new beds, our awesome team and our unbeatable location.
I am sorry to read that you didn't favor the room. As a building built in the 1920's we definitely have some unique room layouts but we like to think we have something for everyone. In the future please do not hesitate to ask. We are here for you!
Additionally, I am very sorry to read about your car. Please email me your name and reservation details and I will be happy to put you in touch with our Garage Manager.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into this hotel! It looks like it's been recently renovated and everything looks very new and hip. I expected this hotel to be older or look more bland because it was definitely cheaper than other hotels in the area, but this was actually one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Seattle because of the modern interior design and friendly service. Every detail seems to be thought of, even the desk lamp has a nice blue glow to it!

I stayed in a room with 2 beds - other reviewers mentioned that the rooms were small but I thought it was a reasonable size. There was a pillow menu which I didn't take advantage of, but the beds were quite comfortable. Internet seemed pretty fast too. One thing that I wasn't a huge fan of was the really expensive parking, but no lots around the area are cheap. I would suggest parking on the street a block away because it's free after 8pm.

The location was great, it was close to a lot of nice bars in Belltown and also close to Pike Place market and the Westlake light rail station which goes to the airport.

Room Tip: If you are an average to heavy sleeper, any room should be fine. If you are a light sleeper maybe as...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jhclee
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear jhclee,
Now that's what I'm talking about! What a way to start off the New Year. Thanks for the glowing review on TripAdvisor. We are THRILLED to hear that you both had such a great experience. Thanks for the kudos when it comes to our new beds and our famous pillow menu. Hopefully you get to experience it next time around.
Also, great tip to future travelers about the parking especially on the weekends.
Wishing you all the best in 2014!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I decided to head down to Seattle for an impromptu New Year's trip. We just stayed one night and found a trip advisor deal for Hotel Max. We went with the King Premium room as I had read on past reviews that the rooms were small.

Customer service at check-in was nice, though we didn't receive the complimentary beer that other reviewers have discussed. Our room was on the 8th floor. It was on average a decent sized room and yes, the bathrooms are quite tiny, but doable. Our bath tub drain did not plug properly and I was unable to have a bath, which was unfortunate. The bed was very comfortable with a crisp, white clean duvet and lots of pillows and I appreciated the comfy bath robes. There is a coffee/tea area but no fridge. There is no thermostat but instead, each room has their own heat/ac unit that is quite loud. The walls are thin as we definitely could hear our neighbours next door, but overall our sleep was good. They provide you with ear plugs, just in case. The location is quite good and is close to lots of amenities - lots of restaurants, Pike Place, etc...

What I didn't appreciate about this hotel is all of the nickel and diming they do, especially given how much you pay per night. Even though we got a bit of a deal, it still was not worth the price. To have to pay for Wi-Fi at upwards of $200/night is ridiculous and the parking is astronomical - and then they charge you parking tax. On our total bill, we paid over $75 in parking and hotel/parking tax.

Overall, it's a funky hotel, in a good location with average rooms. If their prices were more reasonable, I would think about staying here again, but given what they charge for what you get we will look to stay somewhere else the next time we come to visit Seattle.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the higher floors, as the smells from the restaurant downstairs definitely...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikks79
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Nikks79,
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us on New Year's Eve! Thanks for the kind shout outs in regards to the service provided, our location and our overall vibe.
I am sorry to hear that you didn't get to enjoy our Craft Beer Hour in the lobby which happens each night from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. It's such a cool and tasty treat!
Additionally, please know that NYE is the one of the busiest days in the year for Seattle leaving many hotels sold out which is why prices were inflated.
We would love to welcome you back! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally upon your next trip to Seattle and I would be happy to personally oversee your reservation.