“"Horrible room"” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Tacoma, Washington
“"Horrible room"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I just wanted to take the time to share my opinion on my stay at Hotel Vintage Park. The staff was great. They were very hospitable and went above and beyond to help. Also, I must say that the locations was great for those looking to view some of the tourist attractions in Seattle, such as Pike place market. Now with the bad. The room was stayed in was incredibly small. The decor was nice, but I felt like i was in closet the entire time. Our bed was extremely uncomfortable and made it hard for me to sleep at night. I woke up a few times each night with my back hurting. For the dollar amount that we paid, I was expecting a whole lot more for a 4 star hotel. In hindsight I would have stayed at the The Westin Seattle hotel or even the Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jonathan E
VintageGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Seattle, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear "Horrible Room"
I am sorry that your guests room was not what you expected. I did want to reach out and let you know that we hear you and are responsive even when feedback isn't "all positive" Because there are many factors that make a stay, sometimes it is how we deal with adversity.

In our Seattle Boutique Hotel, our standard rooms are on the smaller side and face the city, not the water.... We renovated a historic building, the Spring Street Apartments built in 1924, so the exisiting footprint is what we worked with.

I am hopeful that you had connected with our staff about the issues in your room, so that we could rectify them. I do thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that you give us one more chance in the future.
Happy travels,
Sandy Burkett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Visiting downtown Seattle several times a year, I typically stay at a different Kimpton property (the Hotel Monaco) but given the timing of my recent trip, I chose to try the Vintage Park. The difficulty in writing this review is that I really wanted to be thrilled. The staff was welcoming and pleasant. In general, my room was fine. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the layout of the room, open and airy. It was some of the little things that just were, well, lacking.

The bathroom, to be quite blunt, was a big disappointment. A pocket door would have been helpful as I couldn't use the shower without stepping over the toilet and shutting the door first. It just felt cramped and inconvenient.

When I came back after a full day of work, I found a curious plastic bag outside of my door. There was a note indicating that they didn't have a washcloth at the time of cleaning my room and left this one to replace it. I was befuddled. Could they not have simply put it in my room rather than in plastic on the floor in the hallway outside?

As a member of Kimpton's preferred guest program, I appreciated that my preferences were met, although not consistently. For example, I prefer to have extra towels in my room. While at check-in I was assured this had been taken care of, it was not (nor were the added towels replaced each day by housekeeping.) My morning paper was left by my door but some days it was the WSJ and others the USA Today.

I really missed little things - like turn-down service. Coming back to a darkened room, no matter how clean, felt really unwelcoming. I didn't realize how much I would miss having a light on but I did. I guess I just felt a bit let down.

In all, while the hotel was convenient and the standard amenities (mini-bar, refreshment choices, etc.) lovely, I just was, well, expecting more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank winstongal72
Dear Nice Hotel...
Thank you for giving us a wakeup call. Fine isn't fine when it comes to meeting guest expectations. We can do better! I appreciate that you were candid and it is a helpful review for us to see that the details make the stay. I will say that structurally our bathrooms are our Achilles - due to the size of our historic building, though I appreciate you provided us a solution.

I hope that you will allow us another chance when returning to Seattle. We would like to take you from ..... wanted a little more to "just right"!

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We recently stayed several nights at the Vintage Park and found that the staff was wonderful! The hotel itself was very nice, the rooms were clean and upgraded and actually quite quiet. The location is on the edge of the "busy" tourist part of town, and up the hill (as most of Seattle is). Therefore, if guests are elderly or have limited mobility, walking may be a little difficult. However, this review is mainly about the wonderful staff. We arrived very early in the morning after catching the "red eye" from Hawaii and checked in anyway to leave our bags until a room was ready (we didn't expect a room that early). The check in tried so hard to get us a room even though it was before 900am!!! They were very apologetic and promised to get something ready soon but we told them that it's all right we'll wander around and come back closer to the normal check in time. Also, when you leave or enter the hotel, you must pass right in front of the reception area and whenever they saw us, they gave us a nice greeting or goodbye.

A note regarding the attentiveness of the staff: one evening when we went into the elevator, a staff member noticed a small drop of wine on the elevator floor. He immediately pointed it out to us and promptly called housekeeping to clean it up. It was so small most people would just have walked right on it, but he still apologized.

The valet also tried hard on his personal phone to get us directions to someplace we wanted to go and help us program it into the gps. We've been to places where they just hand you a map and that's it.

We've stayed at one of the other Kimptons in town and though it was also very good. This staff was the best.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glen In Honolulu - Please come back!
Thank you for your review of our team. We read it at our daily line up. When we touch someones heart and the see the effort the team puts in, it makes our day. Again, you made my day when I read this review and we can not wait to serve you and your friends that you send our way.

Pleasant Journeys!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had 4 nights in the Kimpton Vintage Park Hotel back in August. From the minute we checked in until we checked out we had an amazing time. The rooms were very comfortable with all the amenities one would need. The best part of the stay was the staff. I have spent many a night in USA hotels and nothing compared to the engaging, interested and customer focused staff I found at the Vinatge Park. Thank you fr such a pleasant stay

1 Thank Scott P
VintageGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Seattle, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Scott P:
I do believe we met during wine hour one night. I am so very pleased to know that your stay was exceptional from start to finish here in Seattle. Thank you for sharing your experience with other world travelers looking for a fabulous Seattle Boutique Hotel. We do love serving people and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing that with potential travelers. Happy Trails, we hope you return to the beautiful Pacific NW and Seattle in particular.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Having experienced another Kimpton Hotel in another city, we certainly knew what to expect. We weren't surprised. Excellent customer service at the front desk, great location to use as a central point for sightseeing. I would caution those that may have trouble walking hills and who want to stroll to different sights from your Hotel base, this hotel may not be the best location. As to get to most sights, you will have to walk up and down some tough inclines.

1 Thank stinkykitty
Dear stinkykitty;
Thank you - thank you - thank you - Seattle is a bit "hilly" we love being "uptown" as we coach our guests to enjoy their walk to see all the sites and take a cab back- if they aren't found of the elevations. You are at the top with us, and we at the Vintage hope to see you back soon! All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Enjoyed staying here for 4 days. Our package included a $20 credit per day for the Tullo's Restaurant attached to the hotel. We had breakfast there everyday it was great. The room was very comfortable. It had everything we wanted, free wifi, in room safe, frig, large flat screen tv. On the second floor a small gym and computer center so we could print out your boarding passes. Coffee and Tea in the lobby in the morning. Water in the lobby all the time. Wine the the evening around 6pm. We arrived by Amtrak and it was a $6 cab ride to the hotel. We took the light rail to the airport for $2.75 each it was about a 30 minute ride very easy to do. The station was a couple of blocks from the hotel (downhill). It is a little bit of a walk to Pike Market and the Monorail area but we didn't mind it. Not to much to do right around the hotel in the evening. Overall we really enjoyed staying there. Very nice and friendly employees.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
VintageGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Seattle, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Traveltimeusa;
Thank you for your review of our hotel and all the details of truly making a trip to Seattle amazing!
I am pleased that you enjoyed staying here for 4 days, with our please your palate package which includes a $20 credit per day for the Tullo. So glad that you were comfortable in the room & were able to enjoy the free wifi, in room safe, frig, large flat screen tv. On the second floor a small gym and computer center so we could print out your boarding passes. Coffee and Tea in the lobby in the morning. Also that you listed the city light rail information; which so many people now utilize to really reduce their stress in Seattle - no car - no traffic and so much to see with in walking distance. Again, thank you so much we truly appreciate your review!
Sandy Burkett, GM Vintage Park
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. We had a King room. It was very comfortable and had everything we needed, even big comfy leopard print robes. The bed was amazingly comfortable and we slept amazing. The location was great, we walked to Pike's Place and many restaurant and shopping districts and also were able to walk to the Space Needle, though that was a bit of a walk, it is possible to walk just about everywhere if you don't mind walking:) I really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely stay again. The hotel staff was also quite helpful in giving us directions and helping us get taxis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view!!