“High Quality, Low Cost at the University Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel

University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Chelmsford, MA
“High Quality, Low Cost at the University Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

I booked this hotel after reading recommendations from TripAdvisor.com.
University Inn is an unusually fine value. It is moderately priced, but spotlessly clean. The rooms are set up with great attention to detail, from the lighting to the microwave and fridge and fine bathroom. The rooms are also quiet. The internet is free and there are stations in the lobby for those who do not bring their own laptop.
The staff are invariably polite and well informed.

The hotel offers free shuttle service to various points.

There is an outdoor swimming pool.

Not only is there a good buffet breakfast every moning, there is a great buffet snack every afternoon from 3-5.

I've never encountered a better value than University Inn and recommend it without reservation to all who are looking for reasonably priced accomodations in Seattle.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Musiclover9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This is a great hotel north of downtown Seattle but only a few minutes drive from most major attractions. It's clean and quiet and the young staff are helpful. They offer a very nice breakfast and snacks in the lobby.

• Liked — Parking and location
  • Disliked — The bathroom in the room needs a bit of remodeling.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

What a find! I was sold on this hotel by others' reviews and the very friendly staff when I called for a reservation. When we first pulled up I was a little nervous because the street is rather busy and noisy and the outside of the building looked more like an office building. BUT we were not disappointed! Inside it was quiet (didn't even know there was traffic outside) and the room was very nice. Not until we got home did I realize that we had been promised a king bed and pull out soft and ended up with a queen and a pull out sofa. There was plenty of room to accomodate a rollaway bed to accomodate our family of five. This was a Premier room and included in the rate was a very nice breakfast which we had delivered to our room. We all were satisfied that our choices we made and the service was nice as well. There were afternoon snacks as well that we quickly partook of as we rushed off to sightsee. We didn't get to utilize the free shuttle bus but we would have if we were there longer. There is a nice (free) parking lot which is also a plus. It was also nice that there is a sink with the hair dryer outside of the shower area so that more than one of us could be getting ready. The location was easy to find and convenient to all the typical attractions as well as the university. We would be glad to stay there again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Wish we had remembered to ask for the king size bed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Berkeley, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

I agree with the consensus of reviewers here--the University Inn is a good place. No complaints on cleanliness, facilities, staff. No great shakes esthetically, but good quality space. Our room was adjacent to Roosevelt Way, the main street, so it was somewhat noisy at night (fast traffic, not lots of it) but we found it tolerable. They have free laundry machines (charge for soap) which we found very useful. The place is within walking distance of several coffee houses, the enormous University of Washington bookstore, and lots of cheap, student-oriented restaurants. The breakfast was OK, nothing special, but I don't really expect much from hotel breakfasts and there were plenty of other options.

They operate a free shuttle van, though we didn't wind up using it. You can do this one with or without a car--they've got free parking, but they're also a couple of blocks from numerous bus lines to Downtown Seattle, Seattle Center, and other destinations. We paid $139 per night, it would have been a lot more in Downtown Seattle.

• Liked — Its smooth functionality
  • Disliked — Its blandness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wanderer
san jose, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

The University Inn is a nice, clean, hotel that is a great deal when compared to most of the other hotels in Seattle. Our family stayed two nights at end of July in a two queen room. First off, the beds were actually queens, not doubles like some places try to pass off as queens. The room was clean, the bathroom clean and there was room to put bathroom stuff on the counters. The afternoon snack was great, we ate some when we checked in and it helped hold the kids off of needing dinner for a while. The breakfasts were plentiful and the kids loved making their own waffles. While the breakfast room was crowded, we managed to find seats each time and did not have to wait long for the waffles. We used the hotel shuttle service to drop us off the next day at the Seattle center and later called for it to pick us up downtown. We didn't have a reservation for the pickup, but it didn't take long. The hotel is very close to UW, we were able to walk over there the next morning in about 5 minutes. Our kids loved the pool. Great hotel for families traveling on a budget.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed at the University Inn forth of July weekend 2008 before boarding a cruise. My brother and sister in law are Physicians at the Hospital close by and said it was close to where the fire works could be seen. Two days prior to our arrival I was contacted by an employee of the hotel who confirmed our reservation of two queen beds and our stay dates. When we arrived at the hotel it was easy to find and clean and we received the key to our room and went upstairs after all day travel. When we opened the door to our room I new there was a mistake it was a very very small room with one bed. It was clean but not for two adults and two teenagers??
I went back downstairs and let them know we were assigned the wrong room and I needed our room. I was told they had no other rooms available I let them know the name of the person who called me two days prior and confirmed my two queen beds and my stay dates. While the polite man was searching for another room for me this women with short blonde hair (I know her name but won’t put it here) that was not even helping me comes over and says well that girl who called you is new and also our policy states we do not guarantee bedding preferences. I just looked at her like who are you and what kind of moronic thing is that to say? I said to her first it’s not my issue your employee is new, second she called me not even 48 hours ago and confirmed two queen beds. There are 4 of us how would you like us all to fit on one queen bed my huhsband is a Marine our son is a 6 foot 2 200 pound football player and then there is mysef and our daughter?

The poor guy that was trying to help me just wanted her to shut up as well as I did and go back to her area. Can you imagine being told they do not guarantee bedding preferences so 4 adults are supposed to share one bed? oh come on

It turned out the room we should have received was given to someone who had already checked in and they only had two small rooms left the room they gave us was so small it did not even have enough room in it for a roller bed. They changed us out of that room into a slightly larger room with one bed and brought up one roller bed that is all that would fit. So my husband myself and our daughter shared the bed my son got the roller bed and suitcases stood up blocking the door and suitcases stood in the bathroom. . My husband who returned from a tour of Iraq a few months ago said he got more sleep in Iraq then sleeping in the same bed with our daughter and I all night. He said he would have slept on the floor but there was no room for him between the bed and air conditioner and the roller bed was already touching the other side of the bed.

In the morning I went downstairs and told them they had to get us into a larger room or we were checking out. The girls who worked the morning of July 5th were great they took all our luggage and stored it and told us someone had checked out who was alone and given a two bed room by mistake the night before when he checked in. When we returned later that day from Pikes Market they had a large two queen bed room for us it was wonderful.
When We checked out it was that same women with the short blonde hair from the first night and she still was most rude I looked at the bill and noticed the rate was $145 a night I confirmed a rate of $120 a night. Not to mention she was still not apologetic to the situation and we were not offered a discount for the small room and no sleep the first night stay I just wanted to get out of her presence. I had a cruise ship to board so I paid the extra $50 and left for a great cruise.

The Inn is clean and I love it was 100% non smoking. Staff with the exception of one was fantastic and professional. Easy to drive to everything Market, needle, zoo, museums and the breakfast was enough to tie us over until lunch.

I understand it was a very busy holiday weekend but come on it was ridiculous to try and put 4 people in a college dorm room space that a roller bed would not fit in then move us to a bit larger room still with one bed and a roller could barely fit it and then offer us no discount off that first night stay. Enthusiasm and attitude can change any situation. Good to bad, bad to good.

Would we stay there again…….maybe, if I spoke to a member of management and confirmed my BEDS and room and RATE first.

• Liked — 100% non smoking
  • Disliked — one employees bad attitude and problem with our room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank spoiled_marines_girl
linda4140, General Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
This review points out several areas where we let the guest down. My staff and I have used this review as an opportunity to address several areas that need attention and we are dedicated to offering all guests an outstanding experience. I am contacting the guest to apologize and follow up on our satisfaction guarantee.
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

I stayed here one night recently as I had a meeting nearby and was so pleased. I was able to get only a traditional room with a shower but it was more than adequate for my purposes. The shower was roomy and the bathroom was so perfectly clean. Actually, the entire room did my obsessive little heart good because everything was clean and crisp. The bed was comfy, the sheets were crisp, and the pillows just right.

The room I had was not air conditioned but the windows opened and it was lovely to sleep with the fresh air. There was some traffic noise as I fell asleep but it certainly did not disturb me.

The snack in the afternoon is a nice surprise and the breakfast was quite fine - even the coffee was drinkable, often not the case with hotel breakfasts..

I was really pleased to find a reasonably priced hotel that was so appealing and well kept. I will return and would consider staying here even if I need to be downtown.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business