“Loved my stay here!”

Ranked #28 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Seattle, Washington
“Loved my stay here!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I arrived at the location not expecting much given the price, however I was pleasantly surprised. The room was large,kept at a comfortable temperature by default, and well-decorated. The view wasn't the best even though we were on one of the higher floors, but that would be the only downside.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mohammad M
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Mohammad M,

Thanks for reviewing University Inn. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sagle, Idaho, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The staff make me feel like "family". They always are helpful and treat me like I'm important. I highly recommend The University Inn. The rooms are spacious and 'homey'. The shuttle service is perfect for going to the Medical Center or downtown. The closeness to a wide variety of restaurants is a huge plus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Howard B
Dear Howard B,

Thank you for writing a review. It is our pleasure to make your stay in delightful and we are glad you enjoyed our hospitality. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon.

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was in Seattle for Business with family a long. Overall this is a nice hotel with some drawbacks to consider.
The rooms are a decent size and nicely decorated. There is virtually no sound proofing so you can hear every barking dog and crying baby. Even simple conversation. That said, we had no problem sleeping at night. I imagine it could be problematic if there are noisy or drunk guests though. Housekeeping is VERY thorough. There is Keurig coffee and tea in the rooms and always hot starbucks coffee and Tzao tea in the lobby. At about 3:00 there are delicious pineapple mini cupcakes. The breakfast is cereal, fruit, oatmeal, toast, boiled eggs and yogurt. Decent but very busy in the lobby.

The bathrooms are very very small and all of the soap and body lotion is on the wall. So, above the sink there is soap and lotion. In the shower there is shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, all in pumps. It is labeled as Tommy Bahama travel collection. I found it to be pretty harsh. Another review mentions that they had been told by staff that there were alternative body products (bar soap) at the front desk. I watched a woman ask for a hypoallergenic shampoo. She said she had called ahead and been told by staff that they would have them at the front desk. The woman at the front desk looked surprised. This was a theme. Very friendly staff (extremely helpful) that seem to not all be on the same page. I had to use their refrigerator (available for guests) in the back, the whole time. I asked for a room with a fridge and was told there wasn't one. When I checked in, I asked again, and was told they didn't have any available. The day I checked out (4 night stay), the front desk receptionist told me I should have asked because they have some available for guest usage. She checked, and they had one. That would have been really nice to know.

Be forewarned if you need the shuttle. You have to reserve it (far) in advance. This is not a show up an use it shuttle. We were there for 4 days and couldn't;t use it once. At one point we were told that the only available times to get us to the zoo were a pick up at the hotel at 5 pm (zoo closes at 4:30) and a pick up from the zoo at 2pm - yes in that order. That kind of answer makes you wonder if the person is thinking. We were told by the front desk that there was no room on the shuttle to go to the science museum. We were leaving the same time it was there and the driver said there was room but we had to check inside. We did and the front desk said that they weren't going to the same area. We caught a cab and arrived at the science museum at the same EXACT time as the same EXACT shuttle (same driver). So frustrating. They will also allow groups to use the shuttle for the whole day. Great for groups, bad for all of the other hotel guests.

There are no conference rooms or business facilities but they are generous in letting guests use there sister property one block away. The pricing seems to wildly fluctuate depending on when you call and who you talk to.

I would stay there again, but only if I was renting a car already and not for business.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room FAR from the elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank localbeans
Dear localbeans,

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but I am embarrassed by the issues you experienced with our front desk agents. Please know what you experienced is not in keeping within our service standards and I will address the issues immediately. We hope to see again the next time your travels bring you to the Emerald City!

All the best,
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel and the room was average - it looks like we got an old room. There was no gym in the hotel but they allowed you to use the small gym at the sister hotel next door. It was a lot more expensive than the Watertown Hotel next door and I'm not sure why. The free breakfast in the morning made up for the lack of amenities and décor.

Make sure to ask directions to which side of the hotel your room is. The front desk never told me and I spent 5 minutes wandering around trying to find my room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelsalot1984
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Travelsalot1984,

Thank you for your review. I apologize we failed to send you to the correct wing of our hotel upon check-in. I will be sure to follow up with our front desk team right away. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast and our other amenities during your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a great find in Seattle. Nicely renovated rooms, very helpful staff, pool, free on-site parking, nice continental + breakfast, and a free shuttle to and back from airport and/or downtown attractions make this a real bargain in a very pricey hotel market. There are also a great variety of restaurants in the nearby university area. Will recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear jkander,

Thanks for reviewing and recommending University Inn. I’m glad you were able enjoy our many amenities, especially our local area shuttle. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate service to the airport but we would be happy to provide our transportation options. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting the Emerald City!

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was third person to sleep in a newly renovated room - loved the setup, higher sink and big shower with no tub. The bed was comfortable. No clock in the room, but the front desk made prompt wake-up calls. The TV only got channel 3 the first night - but was fixed by the second night. Free breakfast had hard-boiled eggs, french toast (in the toaster) or mini muffins, juice, coffee and bread to toast. Neighborhood was a bit deserted at night, but I had no problems. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mary J,

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our renovation mock-up room. Your review lets us know we are the on the right track. I apologize you were lacking an alarm clock, I will be sure to fix this right away! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

All the best,
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I came to Seattle for the Snow Leopard Festival and the University Inn was recommended. My whole trip was great in large part to staying at the UI. When I made my reservation I asked for a balcony room and although the room couldn't be guaranteed I was told they would try. Well, I got a balcony room - a great room on the corner of Roosevelt. It was clean, quiet, spacious and just right for one person. The room was tastefully decorated and I loved the colorful throw pillows on the beds.

The shuttle bus service was my saving grace. It took me downtown and back, to the zoo and back ... it was very punctual, the drivers were pleasant and professional. The continental breakfast was sufficient (I opted for just a bagel and cream cheese) and the Starbucks coffee was always there. Instead of using the paper cups I used the ceramic mugs from the room ... more eco-friendly and holds more too! The lobby was inviting and comfortable; the front desk staff always available and personable.

If there was one minor disappointment it was the soap thing. I read an earlier review about there being no bar soap. The manager replied that it was available at the front desk. When I checked in I asked the clerk about the soap. She said they didn't have bar soap, opened up a drawer with other toiletries and looked, and mentioned that there was a little store up the street where I could get bar soap. I explained a TripAdvisor review by the manager indicated that bar soap was available - she looked in the drawer again and said they didn't have any. No big deal - just thought I could get bar soap.

I hope to visit Seattle again next Fall and if I do I will definitely stay at the University Inn. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for a place to stay in the Seattle area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Wizzyliz,

Thanks for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay at University Inn. It was truly our pleasure to take care of you and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure look into the lack of bar soap availability and remedy it immediately! We look forward to your return next fall.