“Great place to stay!”

University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #30 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Staff is helpful and pleasant and the inn a comfortable place to stay that met all our needs beautifully. Recently updated rooms are clean and comfortable. Microwave, frige, coffee, tea and hot chocolate provided in room. Bath towels are huge, and so much better than the usual postage stamp size towels hotels provide. Beds are comfortable with a choice of pillows. The adequate continental breakfast saved time and money. Proximity to the University allowed my husband to explore the campus while I attended a two day seminar. The special promotion of third night free made our trip much easier and affordable. Even though we didn't bring our dogs, it was great knowing they would have been welcomed had we needed to bring them. While you are there be sure to walk down the block to the Portage Bay Cafe for lunch or breakfast. Fabulous food!

Room Tip: Rooms along Roosevelt Dr get traffic noise at night. We had emergency vehicles scream by each night...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bingleysmom
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Bingleysmom, thank you for taking a few moments to review our hotel. I’m glad that you had a comfortable stay. I will be sure to pass on your praises of Portage Bay Café to our colleagues. We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you back to UW or Seattle!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Directly across the street from the UW Bone & Joint Center where I had to go for pre & post-op visits. Clean, friendly in the heart of the U district. a few blocks from the water. First time there couldn't get wi-fi, even with another router. This time, all was good! great Pineapple cupcakes too! Great place and with a discount for patients!

Room Tip: The rooms on Roosevlet side are the best!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank skidancer1

Thanks for returning to us and taking the time to write a review! I hope your surgery went well. We are currently in the process of upgrading the entire infrastructure of our wireless internet and I’m please to see that it helped with the connection issue you experienced during your first stay. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the University Inn in Seattle. The deciding factor was the free shuttle to locations in central Seattle. The shuttle left the hotel on the hour (pre-booked through the front desk) and it was advised to pre-book a return time as well (on the half hour). What a great system! The shuttle drivers (both going downtown and returning in the evening) were excellent - friendly, knowledgeable and safe drivers. It's just a quick 5 minutes into downtown from the hotel. We got dropped off a Pacific Place, about 5 blocks from the public market. When we were finished our walkabout down there, we just walked to the Pacific Science Center/Space Needle area - only about a 15 minute walk (we are fast walkers). We had arranged for a shuttle pick-up at the Space Needle and she was there a few minutes early. The rest of our stay was pleasant. Our room was spotless, including the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and we had lots of pillows. It was a self-adjusting heating system, so once we got that set right, it was perfect (and not at all noisy). Our view wasn't great (looking down on the parking lot), but we weren't there for the view and we weren't in the room enough to be an issue - we just wanted a quiet room and this was on the back of the building away from the roads. The room itself was small, but that's the type of room we reserved - the standard queen. If you want something bigger, you'd probably have to book above the standard. It was big enough for two people to move around without bumping into each other, and the entrance to the room was big enough to keep luggage, shoes, etc. out of the main living area. There is no microwave or fridge in the standard room either, but we didn't need it for our short stay. Nice to have complimentary bottled water in the room for taking out on our walkabouts. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. The free breakfast was your usual standard continental breakfast, but there were hard boiled eggs for us types that like protein in the morning. My hubby appreciated the Starbucks coffee as well, and they had a nice selection of tea. There were free muffins in the early evening (only until 7 pm), but we were too late arriving to take advantage of that. Parking was off-street in the hotel's parking lot behind the building, and free. We really appreciated that. After looking around at other Seattle hotels, free parking is rare! We didn't use the fitness room or the pool. All in all, I would definitely stay here again and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LandDMemories
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you so much for recommending and writing such a detailed review of University Inn! I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service. I hope you had fun seeing the sights of downtown Seattle. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here with two of my children so we could go to Children's Hospital for an appointment. We stayed 2 nights in a standard double queen room. It was very clean with a flat screen tv, microwave, mini fridge, desk, internet access, and 2 bathroom sinks. The shower was great. I LOVED the in room Keurig coffee maker with regular, decaf, and tea pods. Very nice touch! There is also Starbucks coffee in the lobby for free. I have to admit I was a little excited about the pineapple cupcakes, but they were disappointing. When a 7 year old won't eat a cupcake, you know it's wrong. She said, "the frosting tastes like butter." I laughed because frosting SHOULD be buttery, it is made of butter. But then I tasted it and she was right... it was like a glob of butter. No other flavor and not sweet at all. Dry cupcake too. Oh well, it is not supposed to be a bakery, it is a hotel. But cookies would be nicer. Anyway, the room had a little triangle window that my daughter loved to sit in and watch outside. The breakfast was bare bones though... juice, coffee, cereal with milk, yogurt, and baked stuff like mini muffins, bagels, toast. I eat low carb and the only options for me were those cold, pre-made hard boiled eggs. Nothing else. Oh well. But the rooms, lobby, and people are so nice and the pool looks great although it is winter so we didn't use it. I would stay here again. HOWEVER if I was bringing my dog (which is allowed), I would not stay here because there is no potty area and you have to sign a paper saying you won't let your dog potty on the neighboring businesses lawns either. So you have to walk pretty far to potty your dog.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for staying with us while visiting Children’s Hospital and for taking the time to write a review! I’m disappointed to hear that you disliked our pineapple cupcakes. I will be sure to address your concerns with our food and beverage manager. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

We love welcoming our foot legged guests to University Inn as well. Unfortunately, being in the city, green space is hard to come by. However, there is a grassy knoll just across 41st St, less than 1 block away, where we like to recommend our guests walk their four footed friends.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Seattle!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

During the Christmas Season I made the arrangements for my brother and his wife to stay at the University Inn and arranged to pay for it. Not once, but 3 times I made it very clear with the people at the hotel I was paying for it.

There was an issue with the toilet overflowing and they spent one night having to run downstairs to use a bathroom. Finally when it got really bad, they moved them to another room and offered them an extra night at half price. When he checked out, he wanted to pay for just that one night. But they wanted to charge him for the entire stay, so he called me and I spoke with some one there, explaining I was paying for the first 4 nights, my brother was only paying for the last night.

University Inn charged my brother for all nights, eventually he was credited back the money, but not before he got an overdraft charge.

There is no one there who can help us until next week. What a way to ruin the holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Daryl S
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and bringing this issue to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the issues your family experienced during your recent stay. It was a pleasure to chat with your brother about this situation a few days ago where we came up with a solution to make up for our faults. Should you have any other questions or would like to speak me directly, please feel free to contact me at aguyton@universityinnseattle.com. Thanks again!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very pleased with this hotel. We stayed in the delux 2 queen room. Recently updated, clean. Mini fridge, micro, free krurig coffee, free bottles of water in room. Very nice continental breakfast and free muffins in the afternoon. Great for families. Pretty quiet neighborhood. Great hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank sspencer78
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review University Inn. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our in-room amenities such as the Keurig coffee maker and complimentary bottled water. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Seattle

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Disappointing stay. First, make absolutely sure you stay in the south building, it appears to be new and modern. The north building is an older building with lipstick. We arrived at 12:30 am and the reception was pleasant, we were warned that our elevator had been acting up and may be noisy but not to worry -- IT WAS SCARY! Then once in our room we noticed the floor had a lean to it -- from beds to bathroom were downhill - never experienced that before. Next morning was woken up by the clammering of dumpsters (we faced the parking lot/garbage bina) at 5 or 6AM. That day we come back after being out on our feet all day and yep, you guessed it, elevator broken --- stair time to 4th floor.- reception was reading a book and didn't think to tell us or put a note on the elevator door - stood there hitting button over and over again (put the book down!) Woken the next morning at 6 by someone having a shower-- sounded like pipes were directly through our room -- ridiculously LOUD! Wife and I wanted to go out for glass of wine -- reception couldn't think of anywhere nearby, had to look on Internet ... Really???? On a positive Free parking is nice and they do keep the place clean ...I can't say it's a good value cause you get what you pay for -- didn't use shuttle. South wing most likely a better experience but we wouldn't know. Our first experience with the Pineapple brand and probably our last.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very sorry that your stay was disappointing. This is certainly not the experience we hope for our guests. If you could contact me at aguyton@universityinnseattle.com, I would appreciate speaking with you, both to offer my apology for your experience and to learn more about the details of your stay. It's feedback like yours that helps us become a better hotel. Thanks again.